In Times To Come

Chapter XVI

After ushering us through the front doors, the knight-who had finally introduced himself as Morgan Basi-left us to sit idly in one of the sitting rooms off the main hall. “General” Travis accompanied Mr. Basi in greeting the Prince.

The other soldiers had remained outside in the court and were now taking care of our horses and what little belongings we had managed to bring. I would have rather been with the horses than here.

It was just me and Zarek; the only two people in this huge room. There was a lush red carpet under our feet and beautiful satin curtains that framed the many windows. There were long chairs and short chairs and even a chair that didn’t have a back, but instead just sat there like a big, fluffy brick. There was no comparison when it came to who looked better; me or the furniture.

Each minute I spent in this room made me all the more nervous. Zarek had taken up a carefree stance by one of the windows, like he had been here a million times before. Then again, maybe he has been here a million times before; like I would know. Today was the first time I had ever heard anyone address him so formally and as “his Lordship” nonetheless.

I figured it would be some time before anything happened, so instead of letting my mind get carried away with stupid ideas and wild accusations, I decided to get right down to it.

“What’s going on?” I asked hotly, trying to cover up the anxiety I had been feeling previously.

“We’re waiting,” he answered simply.

“I realize that, you’re Lordship,” I said mockingly. “But it seems to me you’ve left out a few details.”

No answer.

Once again, he was in one of those moods. I can’t say I liked pushing him to silence, but what else was there to do when he wouldn’t answer any of my questions regardless.

My butt ached from all the riding we had done, not too mention I wasn’t exactly clean, so I remained standing by one of the smaller chairs. I was completely in the dark here; no clue whatsoever as to what was going on.

It’s not everyday that you get to meet the prince, but what were you supposed to do in such situations. ‘Should I bow? What about a curtsey? Can I even look at him?’ I rubbed my left hand in an attempt to calm myself. Nervous habit or not, it never seemed to do any good. ‘What am I thinking?’ I scolded myself. ‘As if the Prince would want to meet me. Especially in this state.’ That last thought gave me a bit of comfort, but not enough to make my stomach be still.

I almost died on the spot when the doors opened. The general strode in, a rather victorious smirk on his unshaven mug. Two women followed him.

“Well, it’s all settled,” he smiled. “He was in somewhat of an important meeting, so we made it brief, but he insists on giving you the royal treatment.” Travis burst into laughter at his own joke. I didn’t find it the least bit amusing.

I felt gentle hands grab my arms and turn me towards the doors. I looked up to see the two women-maids-who had entered earlier.

“Come with us,” they chimed together.

I threw a desperate look at Zarek, but was devastated when all he did was chuckle to himself. I failed to see the humor in any of this!

Two baths, one scrubbing, and a brush later, I found myself alone in one of the most exquisite bedrooms. Not even in my wildest dreams could I have imagined such a room into being. The second I walked in from the double doors, my slippered feet brushed against the circular carpet that spread itself across most of the room. At the center sat a cherry colored table and three matching chairs. Past this was a magnificent window that opened to a balcony overlooking the gardens. The entire right side of the room was dominated by a bed of gigantic proportions that could fit eight people, or even more. Some sort of white and see-through fabric hung form the ceiling above, creating a canopy. Now the left side contained a pink and white vanity and a mirror that was about the size of my room back home.

I hardly recognized myself as I walked across the room and toward the mirror. My hair, though short, had been brushed to a silky shine, my face held no dirt or sweat, my body was also clean and clothed in a flowing nightgown that slid across my skin with the most delightful of sensations, and even my fingernails had been given proper attention.

The process had taken hours, and so when I went to look out the windows, the sun was already beginning to set.

A small knock on the door alerted me to the presence of a visitor. The doors swung lightly open and in walked another maid. This one was much younger than the two who had put me through the traumatic beauty process, but she was just as proper. The tray in her hands wobbled and shook until she could get herself past the doors and to the table. I watched as her blue dress and white apron swept gently across the carpet. Maybe I was thinking too much, but even with the small round glasses and tight bun that she wore, she looked to be just around my age, if not younger.

The maid smiled at me before setting the tray on the table. Her curtsey was low and her head was bowed as she said, “My name is, Erin, and I am a maid here. If you would like anything else,” she paused to walk to the corner by the bed, “just tug on this rope.” She gave it a good yank as a demonstration.

“I will,” I said as politely as I could manage.

Erin then walked to the bed and set there a dress she had been carrying over her arm. “If you could, please, change into this after you have drank your tea,” she nodded to the table, “then a butler will be waiting in the hall to take you to His Exellency.”

At this the door opens once again and a man, dressed in the same dark blue as the maid, enters. He bows low while still holding open the door.

“I am the butler in training, Stefan. I am looking forward to being in your service.” He straightened his body, but never met my eyes. “I will escort you to the throne room after you have finished here.” He waved to Erin and she quickly ducked out of the door. “His Excellency has been anticipating your arrival for sometime. Now, if you will excuse me, I will leave you to get ready. When you are done, just proceed into the hall.” With one more bow Stefan shut the door firmly behind him, and I was once again alone.

The tea Erin had set on the table smelled delicious, but I never was one to drink it. Instead I was content on letting the smell drift lazily throughout the room. After that, it was on to more pressing matters; this dress.

I had never felt such quality material in my entire life. The fabric was dyed a deep purple and lace stretched across the middle and cascaded downward over the skirt. The V-neck was, I thought, much too low for any woman, but when I tried it on, it seemed to settle on my body as if it were made for me. It was puzzling to find that if fit perfectly, but not as puzzling as it was to see that it actually looked good on me.

As exciting as it was to look so elegant, my stomach was turning and knotting as I reached for the door handles. With a big breath, I pushed on the wood and stepped out into the hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment! Comment! Comment!!! :D