In Times To Come

Chapter XX

We entered through another set of double doors into a room as wide as the throne room was long. This room, however, held nothing but a table that spread across the entire span of the room. The table would have seated at least forty-two people.

It was made of a thick and richly colored wood, that could probably withstand any act of nature that so decided to fall upon it. The wind could throw no obstacle large enough to dent it and even the lightning would be reflected back into the sky by its glossy surface.

The prince lead me, his arm around my shoulder, to a chair near the far end, I’m guessing it was the head of the table.

“Wait here while I get the others.” He smiled on his way back out through the doors. He seemed genuinely animated about this sweet reunion, but I was afraid; afraid that he hadn’t really gotten his sister back, but was given me instead, the Sara that couldn’t even remember her own father.

I felt awkward standing alone in such a refined room, even if it was the dining area. My anxiety was short lived as servant after servant filed in with trays containing the most wonderful foods I’ve ever smelled or seen.

There was everything from exotic fruits to a butchered hog. Every inch of the table was used to harbor the gargantuan feast. There was no possible way any of us, even if the whole of forty-two people were to show up for such a banquet, could finish all of this food. I reveled at such delicacies as they sat tempting me. I prayed I wouldn’t have to wait long for everyone to return.

To my great joy, Zarek was the first to join me. He quietly took in the entire length of the table and made his way slowly to where I stood.

“Don’t drool on your dress,” he said under his breath, but clear enough for me to hear.

That wasn’t exactly the greeting I was hoping for. “Be sure not to stub your finger when pulling out your chair, my lord,” I huffed in return. It was the best insult I could come up with at the moment; if that even was an insult.

“How much do you know?” He asked in a more downbeat tone. I could tell he wasn’t looking at me, so I concentrated on the food as I spoke.

“Well, if what I’ve been told is correct, my real father was a king, the prince is somewhat of a brother-even though we aren’t directly related by blood-the lady I’ve been calling ‘mother’ for what I thought was the past 17 years is really my aunt, and your not just a shepherd boy. If there is something I missed feel free to inform me.” My answer burst out so fast I hardly had time to process what I was saying. I may have come across a little harsh, but after all, this man knew everything about me and still I was kept in the dark for so long.

“You seem to be jovial again,” said General Travis, addressing Prince Benjamin and letting a deep barrage of laughter escape from the depths of his lungs.

“Of course,” chimed the prince. “It’s only natural now that I can dine again with someone who I once feared dead.” He chuckled.

“Praise be!” shouted Sir Basi, who followed after them.

Eight other gentlemen entered along with the knight. I didn’t recognize any of them as Travis’s men.

“Let me introduce you,” said my “brother”, leading the group of men in my direction. “Sara, this is Skip Reed, he is captain of the Royal Guard.”

“A pleasure,” said Captain Reed. He took my hand and bowed. When he straightened up he said, “I will do my best to protect you, I swear on my life.”

‘What did he say?’ I Thought, perplexed.

My bewilderment was obvious and so Prince Benjamin stepped in to explain. “For now, the Captain here will ensure your safety. I know it may seem odd at first, but you will get used to his company in no time.”

As shocking as it was I couldn’t help but catch something in his words. “For now?” I asked skeptically.

“Yes,” he said back. “Soon, I’ll have you pick your own Personal Guard, but as of now, I ask that you comply with Captain Reed.”

I couldn’t say no to the smile that he flashed down at me. I nodded and went along with what my brother expected of me.

“I don’t know about you,” boomed General Travis, “but if we waste any more time yapping I may just die of starvation!”

Somehow, I doubted that any of us would starve, but the food was getting harder and harder to resist.

The prince took his seat at the head of the table and the rest of us were allowed to sit as well. My brother sat with Zarek on his right and me on his left. I could see the sideways glances by some of the soldiers and even a few servants carrying trays of food and wine. I too, thought it somewhat troublesome that I would sit so close to his highness. After all, up until today, I was just another ordinary commoner.

The dinner conversation was light and consisted of topics like how the East Province has done unusually well this year with their harvest or about the castle’s plans for the winter.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and I pivoted toward the person seated next to me.

“I wouldn’t mind hearing some about your travels,” commented Captain Reed. “I heard you had quite the trip.”

“Yes,” I said quickly. I paused a moment to think of where I should begin. “This journey kind of sprung on me, to be honest. I didn’t know where we were going or even why; though I think it all started when I met that man on the road.”

“Man?” He asked quizzically.

I nodded my head. “He was walking by one night when I was headed home from the market. He was very suspicious. We ended up leaving the very next morning. There was also a strange letter.” Before I knew it, everyone’s ears were tuned in to our conversation. I looked around at the many eyes that watched me intently.

“I was hoping to save such conversation for later,” commented Zarek, a tad annoyed at my loose lips. “And for the prince’s ears alone,” he added.

Everyone reluctantly returned to their previous conversations and there was no more talk between me and the captain for the rest of the night.