Can't Have You

Chapter One. Prologue.

Image

Melanie's POV.

I'm running through the school hallways, something's chasing me. I'm screaming for help, but nobody comes. Suddenly I'm at a dead end. I want to run back the way I came, but whatever's chasing me is close. I can hear the footsteps coming closer. I turn around and –

Tick.

Huh? Oh, God. It was only a dream.

Tick.

What the - ?

Someone's throwing rocks at my window. I stand up and walk towards it. I open my window and look outside. I didn't expect to see him there. Why is he here? He's supposed to be on tour. I close my eyes, and hope that once I open them, the boy will have disappeared. But, no. He's still there.

"Melanie, come down. I need to talk to you." I don't really want to see him, but I know that if I don't go down, he'll eventually wake up my parents and that's the last thing I want.

This would probably be a good time to introduce myself. As you could tell, my name is Melanie. Melanie Fisher. I'm 18 years old. That boy outside my window? Joe Jonas. No, I'm not kidding. And no, it's not another dream. The Jonas Brothers are actually my neighbours. They moved in next door when I was five. Joe and I immediately became inseparable. I'm good friends with Kevin and Nick too, but it's always been different with Joe and I. We just connected. Anyway, the boys and I would spend all our waking moments together. They were always there when I needed them, I was there when they needed me. When the boys decided they wanted to make a carreer out of their music, I supported them. I listened to all of their songs and gave them my honest opinion. I was there when they got signed to Columbia and I was there when they changed to Hollywood Records. I loved going to their concerts. They were my boys and I was so proud of them. But, even though they had all the fame they wanted, they never forgot about me. We were still best friends.

I guess now is when I tell you I'm in love with Joe. Yes, I know, falling in love with your best friend – how cliché. But it happened. How could it not? Joe's amazing. Or at least I thought he was. These days, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I first realized how I felt about him when I was 14 and Joe was having his sixteenth birthday party. After I gave him my present, I went to give him a kiss on the cheeck, but Joe chose that moment to turn his head, so my lips landed on his. I felt butterflies all over, even though it only lasted a second. Things were kind of akward between us for the rest of the day. But the next morning, it was like it never happened. At least in Joe's mind. Me, I just couldn't stop thinking about it.

But back to Joe standing outside of my window. Well, Joe and I got into a fight a few weeks ago. It's not like we've never gotten into a fight before. But this one was big. Usually, we fight over stupid little things, and we always made up a few hours later. This time was different. We hadn't spoken in three weeks. It was weird, we've spoken literally every day ever since I met him. But I just couldn't bring myself to talk to him after what happened. And I know you're just dying to find out what exactly did happen.

It all started when the boys asked me to go on tour with them…
♠ ♠ ♠
That was the first chapter. I know it was short, but it's just sort of an introduction. The next one will (hopefully) be longer. This is my first story, so I would really like to know what you think.

English isn't my first language, so there might be spelling or grammar mistakes. If you see any, feel free to let me know.