Can't Have You

Chapter Six. I know everything about you.

Image

Joe's POV

When we left the hotel it was about 10 o'clock. I couldn't wait to spend an entire day with Melanie. I had a lot to make up for. After all, I had been ignoring her since Lily got here. I really didn't mean to. I just sort of happened. We decided we would start of the day with some shopping, so we left for the mall.

We had already been to a couple of stores and each bought a few things. I was really enjoying spending time with Melanie. I had really missed her. "OH MY GOD!" I heard someone yell. Oh, no. "IT'S JOE JONAS!" Great. Suddenly, every girl was looking at me. I grabbed Mel's hand and we ran away as fast as we could. We were being chased by screaming fans and I didn't bring Big Rob. It felt like we had been running for hours, and the number of girls chasing us seemed to keep growing. We turned a corner, and Mel pulled me into a photobooth. That girl's a genius. We hid out there, and listened how the footsteps and screaming passed us by and became quieter and quieter.

"That was close." Mel said, and then she bursted out laughing. I started laughing too, and soon we were trying to catch our breaths from laughing to hard. "Hey, since we're here anyway, let's take some pictures!" I said, proud of my idea. "That way we'll always have something to remember our Jel day." "Jel?" Melanie asked. "Yeah. You know, like Brad and Angelina, Brangelina. Joe and Mel. Jel." I explained. "Okay, Joe. Whatever you say." She said, giving me a weird look. "Let's take those pictures."

-

Melanie's POV

After our encounter with the fans, Joe decided to buy a hoodie and sunglasses to hide his identity. We hit a couple more stores and then we decided to get something to eat. "What do you want to eat?" Joe asked. "I don't care. Whatever you want." I answered. "No, I've been a jerk to you all week, so it's only fair that you get to choose." He said. "No, Joe. You weren't a jerk. You were just spending time with your girlfriend. I understand." I said. I didn't want him to feel guilty. "No, Mel. I was a jerk. I can spend time with my girlfriend, and still be there for my best friend, okay?" He said. "It won't happen again, Mel. I promise." "It better not. 'Cause I don't think I can stay on this tour if it does. It just hurt too much Joe, and I don't think I can go through that again." I told him honestly. "You won't have to. I'll make sure of that. Now, what do you want to eat?" "How about hotdogs?" I asked. "Sounds great. Let's go."

We left the mall and Joe asked me where I wanted to go next. "Let's go the zoo! I haven't been in one in years." I said, excited. "Okay, the zoo it is." Joe said. We got there half an hour later. "Hey Mel, do you remember last time we were at a zoo?" Joe asked me. "Of course. How could I forget?" I said.

My mom and I got to the zoo. I couldn't believe Joe was actually having his birthday party there. He was so lucky. He was turning 16. I saw him standing there, surrounded by his friends, opening all his presents. He looked so happy. I went over to him. "Happy birthday Joey." I said. "Melanie. Don't call me Joey. I'm not a little kid anymore." He said, blushing, while all his friends were laughing. "I'm sorry." I said. "I got you a present." I handed it to him, and watched as he opened it. "Oh, man! Bruce Almighty!? Jim Carrey is so funny! Thanks Mel." He said, and he hugged me. I wanted to give him a kiss on the cheek, but Joe turned his head, and my lips landed right on his. I felt butterflies in my stomach. I quickly pulled away. "Uhm.. sorry." I said, my face turning a dark shade of red. "I meant to kiss your cheek." I didn't dare to look up at him. I could hear his friends chuckle behind me. Joe didn't say anything. The rest of the party was akward. Joe hardly said a word to me, and his friends kept teasing us about the kiss. I couldn't wait for the party to be over.

Joe smiled. "Yeah, that was a great day." What? "Uhm, Joe. Is this day you're thinking of the same day I'm thinking of?" I asked. He looked confused. "Of course. My 16th birthday. Why?" "Because that wasn't a great day, Joe." I replied. "What are you talking about? We had lots of fun." He said. "No, we didn't. I accidently kissed you and you hardly talked to me that day." I said. "Oh, right. I forgot about that." Joe said, as he walked to the monley cage. He forgot? It's the only thing I can ever think about, the way his lips felt on mine, and he forgot?

-

Joe's POV

We walked around the zoo for a little while longer. But things were kind of akward between us. I shouldn't have brought up that day. I did remember that kiss. I could never forget, it was my first kiss. But there was no need for Melanie to know that. I didn't want her to get the wrong idea.

"Excuse me." I heard a voice say. I looked down at a cute little blonde girl, who couldn't have been older than six. "Are you Joe Jonas?" she asked me with wide eyes. I bend down to her level. "Yes, I am. What's your name?" I asked her. "Bella." She said, in a shy voice. "Well, Bella, would you like an autograph?" She nodded her head. "Do you have a piece of paper?" I asked her. "No." She said, looking sad. "Oh, I have one." Melanie said, and she handed me a piece of paper and a pen. I gave the little girl an autograph and we said goodbye. "She was adorable." Melanie said. "Yes, she was." And just like that, the akwardness was gone again. And then Lily called.

"Joe? Where are you?" she asked. "I'm at the zoo with Melanie." I answered. "Oh. Well, do you think you'll be back soon?" she asked. "I don't know. I'm kind of spending the day with Mel, remember?" I replied. "All day?" she asked. "Yeah. I promised. Why? What's up?" I asked her. "Nothing. I just wanted to hang out with you. There' nothing to do here." She said. "Well, you can hang out with Kevin and Nick. I'm sure they won't mind." I told her. "I didn't come here to hang out with your brothers, Joseph. I came here to be with you. Not to sit around in a hotel room, while you're out with another girl." I glanced over at Melanie, she was looking at a map of the park. "She's not another girl, Lily. She's my best friend. I've known her forever." I said, getting annoyed. "Whatever. I don't like her." She said. "Lily, you don't even know her. I don't have time for this. I'll talk to you later. Bye." I hung up the phone. I couldn't believe she would act like this. She hadn't even tried to get to know Melanie. Melanie seemed to notice I wasn't too happy. "Joe? Are you okay?" she asked me. "Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go eat."

-

Melanie's POV

We left McDonalds, and Joe said he wanted to take me one more place before we went home. We got in his car, and he told me to close my eyes. We only drove for about ten minutes, before Joe stopped the car. "Keep your eyes closed." He said. He got out of the car, and opened my door. I felt him take of my shoes. "Uhm, Joe? What are you doing?" I asked. "I'm taking of your shoes." He said. "Yes, captain obvious. I can feel that. Why?" "You'll see." He said, and I could hear the smile in his voice. He took my hand, and helped me out of the car. Just that simple touch made my knees go weak. We walked a little while, until I felt sand under my feet. "You can look now." Joe said. I opened my eyes and saw we were at the beach. "JOE!!" I yelled, and tackled him into a hug. "I love the beach!" He laughed. "I know, silly! I'm your best friend. I know everything about you." He said. Yeah, except that I love you.

We stayed on the beach 'till the sun went down. It was the perfect moment. Joe and I sat in the beach in each other's arms watching the sunset. The only thing that would have made it more perfect, was a kiss. But that would never happen. Joe had a girlfriend and he didn't like me.

-

Joe's POV

We got back to the hotel. I was sad that the day was over. I loved spending time with Melanie. And now I had to go talk to Lily. I was still mad about what she said on the phone earlier.

I dropped Mel off at her room, and then I went to find Lily. I went to her room, and knocked on the door. "Oh, hi Joe." She said as she opened the door. "Hey Lily. Can I come in?" I asked. She opened the door further, allowing me to enter. "Did you have fun on your date?" she asked once I got inside, clearly pissed off. "It wasn't a date Lily." I said. "Sure. I've seen the way she looks at you." "You don't know what you're talking about Lily. We've know each other since I was six. We're friends. Best friends. That's it, okay?" I told her. "If you're just friends, then how come you were spending time with her instead of me?" she asked me. "Because I've barely seen her lately. I've been with you all the time." I told her. "Oh, and I'm not good enough for you?" "Lily! That's not what I said. You're overreacting. I was just hanging out with my best friend okay? There is nothing for you to worry about!" I knew yelling at her wasn't going to make things better. "I'm sorry, Lily. I didn't mean to get angry. I guess if you were spending an entire day with another guy, I'd react the same way as you did. But you don't have to worry about Melanie and I, okay? You're the only one I want." I said, while I took her hand in mine and kissed it. "Okay." She said. "I guess I overreacted. I'm sorry." I leaned down and kissed her. "I need to get back to my room now. Goodnight sweetie." I said. I left Lily's room. I was glad we weren't fighting anymore, but something just didn't feel right.
♠ ♠ ♠
My longest chapter yet! XD I know I switched POV a lot, but I just wanted to show both of their feelings.
I put that JEL thing in there, especially for mitchiecc3 :D She came up with the couple name, and she's been kind enough to comment on this story three times already. Thank you! :P