‹ Prequel: Ava Grace

Absense Makes The Heart Grow Fonder (Or So They Say)...

Addiction, Part 1

*Ava's POV*

It has been ten weeks since I found out that Mike had slept with Brittney, several times. But, it's been nine weeks since Charlie and I picked up where we left off, and because he is such a wondering man, Charlie completely understood what affected my choices and still took me back. My kids took it hard in the beginning and if you ever want to feel horrible for leaving your husband, go through two weeks with your four-year old daughter giving you the silent treatment, but once Estelle talked to her over the fact that it was hurting me to be with Mike, Michaela finally accepted the impending divorce and began talking to me again.

Since this time has passed, I've suddenly become more of a mother to my children and have spent more time at home with them and less time at Adeline working on the clothing lines. I wait until all my children are in bed and then I retreat to my office for two hours and work my hardest to complete all the work I would at the office in a day, and so far it's working. Not to mention, Charlie is around the house a lot and that helps me and Jane just works to keep everything tied together as I take care of the kids and having Charlie around has helped because when the kids want to play in the backyard, he volunteers in an instant and races the boys out to the pool and with his help, Ryan's really worked on his soccer skills and his game is definitely improving.

My relationship with Charlie is a large comparison to mine with Mike. On any given day, Charlie and I spend our time alone together watching movies in the living room or while he's working on reviewing lines for his next movie set for filming in January, I work on Adeline stuff. Every night, at nine, Charlie leaves and returns to his hotel room in the city and I set to work on getting all the kids to bed. And, we haven't strayed off the path. Charlie and I have only kiss light pecks on the lips and that's the furthest we've gone, no sex, no meaningful kisses, no foreplay. With that, our relationship seems deeper and I'm sure if anyone asked Charlie, he would agree. It's so different from what I had with Mike that it's a refreshing change and it's helping me get over Mike easier than it could've been. I'm so grateful to him for that.

Mike and I have been respectable to each other. We keep our distances from each other unless the kids are involved and the divorce will officially be finalized on May 3rd, at ten-thirty in the morning. We finally decided that I would keep the estate, the cars of my choice, majority custody of the children and the large sum of forty-five million. I can't say the I won't be upset once I'm no longer married to Mike, and it kills me to think that he's now in an official relationship with the woman who ruined our marriage. And, today, Brittney is coming with him when he picks up Michaela and Ryan to take them until Christmas Eve. Because of my children and my desire for only wanting Mike to be happy, even over my own happiness, I'm going to be cordial to her and accept Brittney as Mike's girlfriend, even though she will always be a home wrecker in my opinion.

*End of Ava's POV*

In the early afternoon of December 21st, Ava was wrapping Christmas presents for her children in her bedroom when Charlie came in and said "Mike's here."

Ava looked up and said "Is she with him?"

"Yes."

Ava sighed and went back to wrapping the gifts. Charlie sat down on the floor beside her and said "Love, you have to go say hello. Don't let her win this. I know you don't like to see them together, but I'm here for support, and I'll be around whenever you want me to be."

Ava looked at Charlie and said "How does she look?"

"Like a home wrecking bitch. Black Ugg boots, Rock & Republic skinny jeans, a UCLA sweater and the Chanel tote in pink that you bought in white last week when we went shopping."

Ava grumbled and curled the ribbon on the large box containing Ryan's new X box system. She pushed the box away from her and said "Are the bags for the kids in the entrance way?"

Charlie nodded and said "Ryan took them out to Mike's BMW."

"Okay."

Charlie stood up and held out his hand to Ava. She looked at it reluctantly and said "Can't I stay here?"

Charlie shook his head and Ava took his hand. He helped her up and said "Shall I carry their gifts downstairs for you?"

Ava glanced over at the two wrapped boxes and the three gifts bags containing the gifts she had bought Mike, and Brittney, from the children and the one from herself to Mike, and said "We could always keep them."

"I don't like golfing."

Ava looked at Charlie as he referred to the Fox Harb'r Golf retreat that Ava had bought for Mike to go on with Billie Joe and Tre, as she has gotten the same package for the both of them, and thought back on their week long vacation there in 2006 with a six-week old, Isabella, and how much fun they had. Ava sighed at the memory and said "I'll take the one for Mike from me. Can you take the other four?"

"Certainly."

Charlie kissed Ava gently on the lips and when they parted, they got the gifts and made their way downstairs. When they reached the bottom of the stairs, Ryan was coaxing Michaela to put on her sneakers on the platform step and Mike was waiting patiently in the hallway. Ava walked to him and held out the bag. He smiled, took it from her and she said "That one's from me, but you can't really use it until next summer with Beej and Tre. Call it a guys weekend, if you would."

"Thanks, Ava."

Mike pointed into the living room and said "I put the ones for the kids from me under the tree already, and there's a few for you."

Ava nodded, tucked her hands in the pocket of her Adeline sweater and said "So, Ryan has to be at Arianna's at seven on Christmas Eve then I'm assuming you'll meet me at Billie Joe's house?"

Mike looked at Charlie then back to Ava and whispered "He's not going with you?"

"No. He's leaving for London tomorrow afternoon and is going to be there until January 5th. His sister is getting married on New Year's Eve."

Mike nodded and Ava said "And, where is the lovely Brittney today?"

"Don't be like that, Ava."

"Like what? I didn't call her anything."

"Your question was laced with sarcasm and hate. Please, just be friendly. I'm being nice to Charlie."

"Charlie didn't break us up."

"Yeah, well, it's still the same."

"Well, I meant it. Where is she? Charlie said he let her in with you."

"She decided to go out to the car to avoid your 'dagger glare', as she calls it."

Ava smiled, knowing the look Mike was talking about, then said "Well, wish her a Merry Christmas from me and if the Chanel tracksuit doesn't fit her, I can have it exchanged."

Mike nodded and said "I'll see you in a few days."

Ava nodded, Mike kissed her cheek and then picked up Michaela, as Ryan took the gifts from Charlie and followed his father outside. When the door closed, Charlie walked to Ava, kissed her temple and said "You were very polite this time. No 'dagger' eyes."

Ava laughed then said "C'mon, help me finish wrapping some presents."

Ava and Charlie went upstairs and a few hours later, after supper, Charlie left for his hotel to finish his packing for England. The next morning, with not having to wake up early to get the kids ready to go anywhere, Ava slept in until nine-thirty and then got ready for the day. Later in the day, around three, Ava was on the back patio watching as Isabella, Olivia and Julianna played on the swing set while Audrina and Sophia did cheerleader stunts on the trampoline when Estelle came outside and held the cordless phone out to Ava. Ava took it, looked up at her stepdaughter and said "Who is it?"

"Dad."

Ava gave Estelle a curious look then put the phone to her ear and said "Mike?"

"Oh my god, Ava, I need you to get Michaela's hospital card and the insurance card from the top drawer of my desk and bring it UCSF Children's Hospital."

Ava eyes went wide and said "Mike, what happened? Is she okay?"

"She's fine. She had an allergic reaction but I got her here within like ten minutes and they're treating her now."

"What happened to her, Michael? If she had an allergic reaction, you gave her something with nuts, what did you give her?"

"It wasn't me."

"Then who was it? Ryan wouldn't, he knows better than-"

Ava stopped mid-sentence, realizing Brittney probably didn't know about Michaela's allergy to nuts, then she said "What did Brittney feed her?"

"Brittney was eating this carrot muffin thing and it had walnuts in it and I didn't know. Brittney asked if Michaela could have some and I said it was okay. I didn't know it had walnuts, I wasn't even thinking. I was trying to put the groceries away and El just started coughing. And, Brittney suddenly freaked out and said we should take her to the hospital. By the time we got here, El had a ton of hives and she could barely breath."

"Shouldn't you have an epi-pen for cases like this?"

"I should yes and I'll get one soon, Ava. I'm just trying to get completely settled before the kids comes over on Boxing Day and it's not exactly easy."

"I'll be at the hospital as soon as I can be."

"Okay, we're on the fifth floor. 596."

"All right."

Ava pressed the end button on the phone, put it down on the glass table as Estelle sat down then Ava said "I'm going to the hospital. Stay here."

"Is El okay?"

"I don't know. She had an allergic reaction. I'll call and let you know when I find whatever I can out."

"Okay."

Ava went inside, got the cards from Mike's office, the keys for the Solstice and her purse then left for the city. A half an hour later, after speeding the entire way there, Ava parked in the large parking garage and rushed to the fifth floor to find Michaela's room. Stopping at the nurses' station, she gave Michaela's hospital card and the insurance card to the nurse taking care of Michaela's paperwork, double checked the room number then went down the hall in the direction of the room.

When she walked in the room, Mike was sitting on the bed with Michaela in his lap, reading a book to her. Michaela smiled at her mother and said "Hi, momma."

Returning the smile, Ava said "Hey, baby girl. How are you feeling?"

"I'm otay."

"That's good."

Ava walked over to the bed, sat down on the edge and tucked some of Michaela's curls behind her ear. Michaela went to climb into Ava's lap but Ava nudged her back towards Mike and said "Watch the IV, honey. Don't try moving around."

Michaela leaned back into Mike's chest and said "Otay, momma."

Ava looked at Mike then said "When can she go home?"

"Tomorrow morning around ten."

Ava nodded and said "So, I'll pick her up then."

Mike gave Ava a weird look then said "I still have her until the party."

Ava shook her head and said "As long as Brittney is around, the only kids you can have staying with you are Ryan, Audrina, and Sophia. Michaela, especially, will be coming home with me tomorrow."

Michaela shook her head and said "Momma, no. I want to go wif daddy."

"Baby, I think it would be better for you to come back to the valley with me."

Mike sighed then said "Ava, please...she didn't know any better."

"She could have killed our daughter. What if you hadn't been there?"

"She's not stupid. Brittney would have call 911."

"I don't care."

Ava and Mike made eye contact and she said "Michaela can see you any time Brittney isn't around, after the holidays. Tomorrow, I'm taking her home with me."

Michaela put her hand on Ava's cheek and said "Momma, I want to go wif daddy. I'm otay now."

Ava smiled at her youngest daughter and said "You worried me, little girl."

"I'm sowwy."

"It's okay. We just have to be more careful."

Ava glanced at Mike and then she looked back at Michaela and said "I guess you can go with daddy tomorrow."

"Fanks, momma."

Mike smiled at Ava and said "Yes, thank you, Ava."

Ava nodded then said "So, what book are you reading today?"

Michaela held up the book Mike had been reading to her and said "Purple, gween and yellow."

"That's a very good book."

Michaela nodded, held it out and said "Read some."

"You don't want daddy to finish it?"

Michaela shook her head and said "You two can share."

Ava opened then book then Mike said "I was on the seventh page."

"Okay."

Ava turned to the page and started reading. As the next few hours passed, both Mike and Ava stayed with Michaela, finally with Mike leaving around seven that evening to make sure Ryan hadn't burned down the house he had just leased. That night, Ava stayed with Michaela at the hospital.

The next morning, around eight, Ava was drinking the coffee she had gotten while Michaela was still asleep when Mike came in the room with a tray of coffee from Starbucks and one of Ava's overnight bags. Ava threw the empty cup she had out as Mike passed her another cup then she said "How'd you get my bag?"

"I went to the house last night and got a few things for you. Explained to Estelle what happened and where you were."

Ava nodded and took a drink of the hot coffee as Michaela looked up from coloring and said "Dr. White said I can go home as soon as you got here."

Mike smiled at his youngest daughter and said "Really?"

Michaela nodded then Ava said "Do you have clothes for her?"

"In the bag as well."

"Okay."

Ava stood up, picked up Michaela, took the bag from Mike and went into the bathroom to change her clothes and Michaela's. A few minutes later, Ava walked out of the bathroom carrying Michaela and with the straps of the overnight bag over her shoulder. Mike stood up from sitting on the edge of the bed and Ava passed Michaela to him. Ava tucked some of her hair behind her ear then said "Make sure you keep an eye on her overnight, please. Just in case."

"I will."

Ava picked up her purse and kissed Michaela's forehead then was about to walk out of the room, when Mike walked to her after putting Michaela down on the bed, turned Ava to face him and said "I am sorry. You know that."

Ava nodded, put her hand on the side of Mike's face to comfort him and said "Of course I know, Michael. It was a harmless piece of a muffin. It could have been anything."

Mike shook his head and said "Not just that. For everything...I never thought we'd ever spend a Christmas apart. And, now a day from it...we are."

Ava bit her lip, took a deep breath then said "Why don't you, and Brittney, come over Christmas Day for breakfast? I'll hold the kids back from opening their presents and whenever you guys finish opening yours, you can come over."

Mike ran his hand through his hair and said "Brittney went down to Los Angeles to spend Christmas with her family after what happened. I think she thought I'd be really upset with her."

Ava kissed Mike on the cheek then said "Well, you know you're always welcome."

They made eye contact and then Ava left the hospital room. A few minutes later, Ava reached the Solstice in the parking garage, put the bags in the back seat, turned on the car and left for Union Square to finish her Christmas shopping.

The next evening, observing the same traditions that had been in place since Adrienne and Billie Joe first got married, Ava brought the kids to their house in Berkeley for the family Christmas party. As soon as they arrived, Estelle went with Joey who had arrived that morning from Pennsylvania and all the kids went their own separate way, while Ava followed the smell of the cooking to find Adrienne, Anna and Marci all sitting around the island drinking wine. Ava got up on one of the stools and said "This is great. Dinner's in twenty minutes and the three of you are into the liquor early."

Adrienne poured Ava a glass and said "Everything's almost ready."

Ava took a drink from her glass and said "Are Mike and the kids here yet?"

"No. He called and said they'd be pushing suppertime because Ryan decided to convince Michaela to make cookies for 'Santa' this afternoon."

Ava nodded then said "Well then...it's good to know I should get Mike to eat the cookies tonight."

"Mike's coming to your place tonight?"

Ava's sisters leaned forward to join the conversation and Anna said "As your oldest sister, I suggest you don't go back to him this time."

Ava gave Anna a weird look and said "I'm not going to get in his pants. Just you try getting four kids to bed on Christmas Eve with 'Santa' on the way, by yourself."

"I'm just warning you."

"You sound like mom."

Billie Joe walked into the kitchen and said "She's had that quality for years."

"Oh, shut up, Billie Joe."

He kissed Anna's cheek and said "Merry Christmas to you, too, dear sister of mine. It's great that you came straight into the kitchen instead of seeing me."

Ava pointed a finger towards herself then said "You mean me? I couldn't find you. I thought you'd be in here."

Billie Joe walked to her, put his arm around her shoulder, kissed her temple and said "I meant Anna. I didn't have to see you tonight...I've seen your face way too much these last five months."

Ava looked at Billie Joe and said "Well, sorry. I'll call another brother next time my husband cheats on me."

The siblings gave each other a dirty look and then Billie Joe cracked his usual smile and said "You know I'm kidding."

Ava smiled and nodded as Billie Joe hugged her and said "Merry Christmas, Avs."

"Merry Christmas."

As the closest Armstrong siblings parted from hugging, they heard the front door open and Michaela yelled "Momma!"

"I'm in the kitchen!"

Ava got down off the stool just as Michaela ran into the kitchen and bent down to her daughter's height, just as she reached her. Michaela held out a plate covered in plastic wrap and said "Me and Wyan made cookies for Santa."

"Did you?"

Ava took the plate from Michaela, put it on the island and said "They look very good."

"Wyan said they are."

Ava smiled and glanced up just as Mike walked in the kitchen carrying Olivia. Ava stood up and said "They didn't make too much of a mess, did they?"

"No. Besides, when I told Ryan he wasn't going to Arianna's until it was clean, everything was back in place within ten minutes."

"That's good."

"Yeah."

Mike kissed Adrienne, Anna and Marci hello on the cheek and then put Olivia down so she could run off with Michaela. Billie Joe handed him a bottle of Heineken then Ava said "So, what? I don't get a kiss."

"Truth be told...I'm scared what Anna may say. She's giving off her 'stay away from my little sister' vibes."

Ava looked at Anna and said "Would you mind?"

Anna put up her hands in surrender and said "Oh no, be my guest. Just remember what I said."

Ava looked at Mike and said "Better now, Michael?"

He nodded, walked to Ava and gently kissed her forehead. When Mike stepped back from Ava, they made eye contact and held it for what seemed like and eternity for the two of them, until Billie Joe cleared his throat and said "Dude, come see the new guitar Adie bought me."

Mike turned away from Ava and said "Right now? I'm going to be here for the next few hours."

Adrienne stood up and said "You know what? Supper's almost ready. Billie go to everyone and Mike can you help me with the turkey?"

Billie Joe mumbled and left the room while Mike walked to Adrienne. Soon, the very large extended family were all situated near each other enjoying their meals. A few hours later, after the gift exchange and everyone mingling for a while, Mike and Ava got all the kids into the cars and left for the house.

After much convincing, all of the kids went to bed and Mike and Ava were working to get the 'Santa' presents under the tree, when Estelle arrived. She said good night to her father and Ava then went upstairs. Before long every present was situated under the tree, grouped together by child, and Mike and Ava were sitting on either side of the coffee table on the floor, staring at the plate of cookies Michaela had put out.

After a few minutes of silence, Mike and Ava looked at each other and Mike said "They can't be that bad. Ryan did eat a few."

"Did you see him eat them?"

"No..."

"Then, how do you know he didn't just throw them in the garbage without El noticing?"

"I don't."

"If you eat two, I'll eat one and a half. 'Santa' doesn't need to eat four cookies."

"And the carrots for the reindeer?"

Ava whistled gently and Fender slowly came in the living room. She patted her lap and said "C'mere sweetie."

Fender walked to Ava, laid down on the floor and rested his head against her leg. Ava picked up one of the carrots and held it in front of Fender's nose. He sniffed it and quickly ate it. After a few minutes, Fender had eaten the eight carrot sticks and Mike had eaten three of the cookies.

With Ava happy that she didn't have to eat any of the cookies, she and Mike both stood up and went into the kitchen. After a few glasses of wine each, as Mike got up to go to the guest room for the night, Ava pulled him back to where she was sitting and kissed him passionately. When they parted, Mike sighed and said "Ava, you aren't thinking straight. Don't do this."

"Don't do what?"

"Don't make me want you more than I already do."