You Saved Me

20 Questions

“So you’re gonna be the blue one, Nick will be the purple one and I’ll be the green one!” Frankie said excitedly in the living room.

Brittany couldn’t help being a little bit anxious, nervous and excited for her’s and Joe’s date since he text her after play practice.

‘Wear you’re swimsuit. Just incase.”

And since she was all those things, she ended up waking up at 7, after finally falling asleep at 1, thinking about Joe’s kiss, and decided to get ready. She text him, letting him know that if he wanted to they could go out for breakfast instead, but he said that they could, but they were still going to go out to lunch and that she should come over now. Frankie really wanted to play with her and he would get ready while they played.

“Frankie. Their all green. Their turtles.” Nick said monotone while sitting on the couch next to Brittany who had a smile on her face.

“I’m talking about their eye bandana things. I want to be the green one.” Frankie said, pulling out a green scarf from his giant box of toys and tying it around his head.

“Got a blue one in there for me?” Brittany asked while getting up from the couch and making her way across the room towards Frankie and the box.

“YEP!” he said excitedly, pulling out a blue scarf and a purple one, along with a plastic sword and a shield.

She took the blue scarf and tied it around her head as she watched Frankie give Nick his purple scarf and reluctantly tie it around his head.

Then Frankie proceeded to put the shield on. Except, not in a way for getting ready for battle, but put it over his back, like a shell. A turtle shell.

“Got anymore shells for Nick and I?” she asked, smiling wide at the little boy as all of this brought back memories of her best friend, Ally, from when she was about 4 and they would dress up in little dresses and pretend to be princess’s.

“Sorry.” Frankie said, digging through his box and slumping his shoulders in the process.

“That’s ok. We can use….” Brittany said, scanning his box and then around the room for potential candidates for a shell.

Her eyes landed on two thin blankets that was covering the back of the couch Nick was currently sitting on and a smile came across her face.

“Nick, get up.” she ordered him and he looked at her cautiously while getting up from the couch.

She made her way towards it and pulled off one of the couch cushions and then grabbed a blanket.

“What are you doing?” Nick asked curiously as she spun him around and pushed him down so his back was parallel towards the ceiling.

“Making you a shell. What does it look like?” she asked with a laugh as she put the giant square couch cushion on his back and then twisted the blanket to make it rope-like and tied it around him.

“Now do the same for me.” she said once she tied it in a knot on the back and Nick stood up.

“COOL!” Frankie yelled once he saw Nick’s ‘shell’.

Brittany’s smile grew wider from Frankie’s approval and she heard Joe call from upstairs, “You better not make her tired for our date!”

After Nick fashioned her shell onto her back she turned to Frankie and asked him what hers and Nick’s weapons were going to be.

“Well, I have another sword. But that’s it. Unless you wanted to find something else to use as a weapon.” Frankie said sadly, realizing how unprepared he was to play Ninja Turtles with three people.

It was silent for a couple minutes as Nick and Brittany scanned the room, when Nick snapped his fingers and disappeared down the hallway, leaving a confused Frankie and Brittany in the living room.

After a few minutes, he came back, holding a blue plastic broom in his hand and asked Brittany if she wanted the sword or broom.

“I’ll take the sword.” Brittany said with a laugh as Nick then started moving the broom around in the air quickly like it was a bamboo stick or something.

And then the battle ensued. Since Brittany and Frankie both had swords, they teamed up against Nick. Frankie saying that Nick was an evil turtle for trying to clean the sewers where him and Brittany lived.

Somewhere between the half hour of yelling, laughing and little playful screams coming from the three of them, Brittany and Frankie had managed to get Nick on his ‘shell’ and both of them were pointing their swords down at Nick.

“Surrender Mr. E. T. (Evil Turtle) or we shall kill you!” Frankie said standing over Nick.

“No ones killing anyone!” Denise yelled from the kitchen.

She and Mr. Jonas were watching some of the battle before she started doing something in the kitchen for Joe and Mr. Jonas decided to help her with it.

“We’re not really going to kill him Mom. It’s just a game!” Frankie laughed out, and when he did, Nick shot up off of the floor and started tickling Frankie.

Brittany tried her hardest to help him, but she too was laughing since Nick managed to get one of his arms around her waist and tickling her as well.

“Get you’re hands off my girl!” Joe yelled down at Nick, and shot him a smile as he ran down the rest of the stairs, all ready to go for the day.

“I’m the only one that gets to tickle her!” Joe said once he reached the bottom of the stairs and started after Brittany since she started to run.

“Joe…remember what happened last time!” she shot at him, still running around his house, weaving in and out of the living room and dining room.

Joe stopped in his tracks, thinking about Wednesday night where he thought he gave her a bloody nose. “Yeah. I’m sorry. I’ll stop.”

“It’s ok. Just don’t tackle me to the floor to tickle me.” she said, taking in deep breaths from all the activity she did in 35 minutes on a Saturday morning.

“Deal.” he said, smiling at her as he brought out his hand for her to shake.

She smiled at him as she grabbed his hand and barely did half a shake when he pulled her towards him and he started tickling her stomach.

“You win, you win, you win!” she laughed out, falling over onto her back which still had the couch cushion tied to it.

“That’s not what I want to hear.” he said while smiling down at her, continuing his tickling.

“Get him Frankie!” she yelled through her squirming and laughter and thankfully, Frankie jumped onto Joe’s back, wrapping his arms around his neck, causing Joe to stop.

“I got you Evil Tickler!” Frankie yelled triumphantly, trying to keep himself up on Joe’s back since Joe stood upright, making Frankie slip slightly down his back.

For the next 10 minutes, Brittany and Nick watched Joe try to get Frankie off his back, which every attempt made Frankie laugh even more.

“Joe. I’m finished!” Denise yelled from the kitchen and that’s when all the laughing a joking around came to a halt.

“Frankie, you have to get off now. For real.” he said, turning his head to the side so Frankie could see his face somewhat.

“Ok.” Frankie sighed out and reluctantly unlatched himself from Joe.

Joe disappeared into the kitchen for a few minutes and came out with a picnic basket.

“We’re going on a picnic?” Brittany asked, noticing the basket while she untied Nick’s blanket.

“Sure.” Joe said with a shrug and put it down by the bottom of the stairs.

“Ok…” Brittany said skeptically, not really understanding that comment but shrugged it off as Nick helped untie her blanket.

“Ready for our date?” Joe asked her, walking back into the living room and grabbing her hand.

She nodded excitedly, smile on her face and trying hard to not let him see the blush that was slowly showing itself on her cheeks.

“Ok. Oh! And I’m driving. If that’s ok.” he said, and bent down to pick up the picnic basket on their way towards the front door.

“But I thought you can’t drive. You don’t have your license.”

“I have my permit.” he said while opening the front door for her.

“See you later!” he called into the house before he shut it, but Brittany fake glared at him and re-opened the door and yelled, “Bye Frankie. Bye Nick. Bye Mr. and Mrs. Jonas!”

She heard a faint bye from everyone before she shut the door again and gave Joe a smug smile before continuing their conversation.

“That won’t let you drive with me though. It’s like for family members only and people who are older than 21.”

“I’m taking you out. Do you really want to drive on our date?” he asked, smug smile forming on his face from Brittany’s silence.

“Didn’t think so.” he said while he walked around to the side of 2008 Chevy Malibu LTZ and opened the door for her.

“Is this you’re car?” she asked surprised at how nice it is.

“Will be. Once I get my license. But for today, it is.” he said before he shut the door for her and made his way to his side of the car.

Once he was inside, he set the picnic basket behind Brittany’s seat, giving her a smile while he sat up straight before he put his seat belt on.

“So, where exactly are we going for our date?” Brittany asked, trying her hardest not to blush anymore than she already was, just from his smile.

“You’ll see.” he said, shooting her another smile as he started the car and looking back to back out of the driveway.

* * * * *

“This is so pretty! Look at all the lotus’s. They’re one of my favorite flowers!” Brittany exclaimed while getting out of the car and looking around Echo Park.

Joe just smiled down at her from her excitement and he felt his heart leap from how excited she was about being here.

“Thank you so much! This is already the best date ever!” she said while jumping up a little bit before wrapping him up in a hug, but pulled away after a couple of seconds, realizing what she was doing.

“Sorry.” she mumbled quietly towards the ground.

“For what? I love hugs.” he said, bending down to look up at her hung head with a smile on his face.

She smiled shyly back at him as he stood up straight and said, “Come on. Let’s go.” while grabbing her hand in the process, carrying the picnic basket in the other, and rushing away from the parking lot.

She reveled at the fact that her heart was soaring just from the slight contact of his hand wrapped around hers as he pulled her behind him from how excited he was about their date.

“That looks like a good spot!” she said after a few minutes of jogging next to him throughout the park, pointing to a small clearing of trees.
“No.” he quickly said back to her and when he was a little ways away from the lake, he stopped and she stood next to him, staring out over the lake.

“That looks like a good spot!” he said, pointing out over the lake.

“Ha Ha. Ok Joe. Is your name now Moses?” she said sarcastically, turning around and looking towards the shaded areas of the park to try and find a good place to have their picnic.

“No. It’s still Joe. But it’s called a paddleboat. Come on!” he said, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the little house that was on the side of the lake.

“Are you serious? A paddleboat? I’ve never been in one before.” she said, smiling brightly at the new idea.

“Well, today’s you’re lucky day.” was all he said as he dragged her behind him and only stopping once they were in front of the elderly man that was inside the little house.

“We’d like one paddleboat please.” Joe said, smiling wide towards the guy and then turned to Brittany and handed her the picnic basket and said, “Got pick one while I pay.”

She grimaced at him, for the fact that he was trying to get rid of her so she wouldn’t hear the price, but did as she was told since he gave her a slight shove in the back, making the elderly man chuckle
lightly.

“They always get like that.” she heard the man say as she was walking away, also hearing Joe respond with, “Just this one.”

She shook her head while rolling her eyes at his response but didn’t turn around to say anything to him either.

He quickly paid the man, saying thank you in the process before he turned and headed towards where Brittany was on the little boardwalk.

“Find any that you like?” he asked as she looked hesitantly between a gray one and a yellow one, and then set the picnic basket in the back of one that was a light, faded yellow with Echo Park written on the side in black cursive letters.

“Yeah. But I’d like it better if I’d at least paid for it. I don’t like free stuff.” she said, back turned to him as she crawled into the paddle boat and took a seat closest to the boardwalk.

She figured she’d make him tell her how much it was and at least pay for half if he wanted to get in next to her.

“How can you not like free stuff?” he asked, crouching down next to her and sending her a dazzling smile with a light laugh.

“I like to earn things instead of getting them handed to me, thank you very much. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. No matter how silly it might be.” she said, trying her hardest to sound unaffected by his proximity, the way he smelled, and his smile he was giving her.

“Silly like this?” he asked as he raised an eyebrow towards her.

She nodded her head in agreement and he let out a little laugh before standing up again and saying, “Well, it looks like you’re not going to get any sense of accomplishment today. It’s a date. I’m paying. No negotiations. Now scoot over so I can get in.”

She looked up at him and tried her hardest not to smile from the way the breeze was going, smothering her in the scent of his cologne as if he was sitting next to her.

“Fine. Don’t move. I’ll just do this!” he said with a fake upset tone and she watched him pick up the picnic basket, step onto the back of the paddleboat and maneuver himself to the front, placing the picnic basket in the back as he finally get settled in his seat.

He smiled over at her and gave her a triumphant look, causing her to scoff and turn her head away, only to hide the smile that was on her face.

“I forgot to give you these!” they heard the elderly man say from further down the boardwalk, carrying two neon orange life jackets.

Brittan quickly got out of the paddleboat to stop the man from wobbling towards them and said a quick thank you, with a smile before turning around and making her way back to Joe.

“He’s so sweet.” she said, throwing a quick glance over her shoulder towards the man and then shot her head back towards Joe and added a quick, “Unlike someone else I know.” with her eyebrows raised and looking wide eyed at Joe, just so he knew who she was talking about.

Joe looked at her appalled and asked, “What ever are you talking about Ms. Coppers? I’ve been nothing but a gentleman to you. And if you really don’t think I’m sweet, come here and I’ll give you some sugar.”

Normally, she would’ve felt embarrassed or upset by his comment, but it was too funny for her to be upset with him, plus, she kinda wanted to taste his lips.

She threw one of the life jacket’s at him, which he caught right before it hit his face, and asked, “I thought you weren’t going to put the moves on me?” and made her way into the paddleboat.

“We already established that this isn’t our first date. Making moves on you is fair game now.” he said, shoving the life jacket over his head and tightening the straps after he buckled it.

“Ok Joe.” she said, laughing somewhat while putting her life jacket on but stopping when she had to pull her hair out before buckling it together.

“And, just to let you know….” she said, her eye catching Joe in his life jacket, all ready to go. “You look good.” trying to keep her face as straight as possible, but couldn’t help but laugh somewhat.

He looked absolutely adorable in a life jacket, but he also looked somewhat hilarious in it at the same time.

“Hey! If I wanted to.. I could pull this off.” he said, defending himself from her comment, but only making her laugh a little more.

“Well, at least I’m making you laugh.” he said to her, smiling while saying it and then reached over towards her while saying, “Let’s get you all strapped up. The sooner we get out there, the sooner we get to eat.”

She finished her giggle as he leaned forward and started snapping her buckles but stopped when he got to the highest one, due to her hair.

“You gotta move your hair.” he stated bluntly and then looked up at her but got caught up in her eyes and just sat there, staring into them.

“Sorry.” she whispered under her breath, caught up in his eyes as well, not noticing his slight movement towards her.

“It’s ok.” he whispered back to her, moving some of her hair and tucking it behind her ear, causing her to suck in her breath and close her eyes when his fingers lightly grazed her cheek.

It was really intense between them, making it completely and utterly exciting. She knew what he was going to do and for some reason she wasn’t objecting to it. She actually wanted him to kiss her. She couldn’t think of any other way, and any other person, she would want to share her first kiss with other than him. He was the first guy she ever had romantic feelings. Other than Johnny Thomas back in the 2nd grade.

He leaned away then, shaking his head somewhat before saying, “So, let’s going, shall we?” making her snap her eyes open and look at him curiously for a few seconds until he asked her again if she was ready to go.

Does he really just see me as a friend? But then why would he insist on calling this a date? And making moves on me? And why the hell didn’t he just kiss me?

She nodded her head slowly to answer his question and then looked away, trying to hide the
disappointment that was slowly setting in.

Neither one of them said anything as the tension between them thickened while they peddled their way onto the lake.

“Ya know what I just realized?” Joe asked, breaking the silence that was now going on about 7 minutes.

She didn’t respond to him, just looked over at him with a confused face at his random question.

“We don’t really know much about each other. Wanna play 20 questions or something?” he asked, turning to look at her and giving her a questioning look.

Sure. Question number 1...why didn’t you kiss me back there?!

She shrugged her shoulders and Joe quickly shifted in his bucket seat, out of nervousness.

Maybe being in a paddleboat, on a lake was a bad idea.

“What’s your full name?” he asked, trying to break the silent treatment that she was giving him.

“You already know my name.” she said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“No…Well yeah. But I mean, like you’re middle name too. You already know my middle name. It’s only fair.” he said, giving her a slight smile, hoping that it might lighten the mood.

She looked over at him again, and saw hope in his eyes, making her disappointment in what didn’t happen, leave and her ‘wanting to be truthful’ with him take it’s place.

“Elizabeth. Elizabeth is my middle name.” she said.

There we go. Not a lie. It is though if it’s combined with Trisha and Coppers. NO!!! Don’t think like that! It’s the truth. As much truth as your allowed to give him other than just blabbering it all out.

“Cool. What about…where are you really from?

“St. Paul, Minnesota.” she said, barely missing a beat and then sucked in her breath once she realized Joe’s confused face.

Crap! He’s gonna figure it out! Well there goes any possibility of having anything with him cuz now I have to move. Yippy for me!

“But didn’t you say you moved from Oklahoma?” he asked and Brittany released her breath, able to breath again.

“Yeah. But that wasn’t where I was actually born. Come on Joe. You know about my situation…” she said, hoping that he would remember that her parents were gone and he could go back to thinking that everything was normal and that she lived with different family members for the last 9 years.

“Oh yeah. I forgot for a second. I’m originally from New Jersey! And what’s your…favorite color?” he asked, taping his lip before hand, sensing that this might be easier now that she finally said an actual sentence outside of the answer.

“Rainbow.” she asked back, finally able to have her heartbeat go back to normal since he didn’t’ ask any other questions about her moving around.

“Rainbow? What the heck is rainbow?” he asked back, completely confused to her answer with a slight laugh though.

“I like all the colors. So rainbow is my favorite. Duh Joe!” she said with a slight shove of her shoulder into his arm.

Just because we didn’t kiss doesn’t mean I can’t flirt. Maybe if I flirt enough he’ll actually kiss me. WAIT! Why do I want him to kiss me?! It’s only going to make it worse and harder if I have to leave. Ah, who cares. You only live once…live it to the fullest!

“Gotcha. And mine would have be blue. What about favorite…fast food restaurant?”

“Wendy’s for sure! I hate Burger King and I’m not a big fan of McDonalds!” she said back quickly, trying to emphasis her point.

“Don’t let Nick hear you say that. He’ll scratch your eyes right out.” Joe said with a laugh.

“And you wouldn’t?” she asked him back quizzically.

“No. In-&-Out Burger is my favorite.”

“Never been there before.” Brittany said with a shrug.

“They have amazing burgers. I’ll take you there sometime.”

Was that another date that he just offered? Play it cool Brit. Play it cool!

“Cool.” she said excitedly, but a little to excited than she meant and quickly asked, “Favorite sport?” to cover it up.

“Soccer for sure. Although tennis is starting to become one of my favorites, right next to wiffleball. You? And Favorite board game?”

“Ya know, you don’t have to ask me back. I’m going to answer it along with your other question.” she said with a slight laugh and then said, “ Football. Although Baseball is a fun sport to watch. Board game would have to be….Candyland. I always thought the peppermint guy was so cute. And yummy. And Favorite….drink?”

He chuckled at her board game choice but continued on with questions and answers.

“Monopoly. Water is my favorite drink…unless there’s the option of a strawberry milkshake. I love
those! And favorite….animal?”

“Really? I love water. It’s weird…but I can’t drink soda. So water and lemonade are my favorite drinks. And I’m gonna have to say a dolphin. And let‘s make this next one interesting…”

“Ok….mine’s a dog.” he said back, flashing her a smile.

“What kinda animal do you think you are? Or at least, resemble the most?” she asked, letting out a laugh.

“Lion. A big, strong, brave, fierce lion.”

“You weren’t a lion when we were telling scary stories in your room.” she said laughing slightly from the
memory of watching Joe hugging a pillow tightly to his chest.

“HEY NOW! Yours was based off a true events. Those are scary!”

“Nick’s wasn’t and you were hugging a pillow.” Brittany countered his answer with a laugh, reminiscing his facial expression just from Nick’s ghost story.

“I only grabbed the pillow cuz I thought you wanted it.” he shot back at her.

“Whatever lets you sleep at night…” Brittany mocked, trying hard to not full out laugh at him.

“Anyways, next question. After you answer your own one. What are you allergic to?”

“You! And that‘s pretty much it. And I’d have to say….a monkey.” she said back to him, stifling her laugh at his facial expression when she answered his question.

“Haha. Very funny. And thanks for the jab at my ego by the way. Why do you say monkey?”

“Thank you. I try. And why? Cuz their cute…but kinda annoying because of how crazy they can get.” she rattled off.

“Stop here. This is good.” he said, taking his feet off of the peddles and reaching back into the picnic basket.

“And you only got half of the monkey description right.” he said, but added, “The part about being annoying.” when he saw a smile form on Brittany’s face.

It instantly feel when he said that, and he started laughing from her quickly fallen face.

“Oh come on Britt. You know I’m only kidding. Does someone need a hug?” he asked, placing two sandwiches back into the basket while reaching for her.

“No I don’t.” she said, turning her back to him as best as she could considering he wrapped his arms around her and the fact that she was wearing a life jacket.

“Ya know…I don’t like this. Hold on.” Joe said, retracting himself from her and then started to unbuckle his life jacket, and threw it down next to the picnic basket.

“Now I can hug you. But only if you take that off. It felt like I was hugging foam instead of a person. Plus, it kinda smells a little.”

“Well maybe I don’t want one of your hugs…” she snapped at him, turning her back to him again as much as her bucket seat and life jacket would allow her.

Just kidding…but he has to at least earn the hug…

“Fine. If I have to take it by force…I will!” he said and wrapped his arms around her, trying to hastily unbuckle her life jacket without actually being able to see it.

She started laughing and squirming in the seat, trying her hardest to not let him get her unbuckled, but he somehow managed, making her give up when she felt the slight release of it against her chest.

“Fine. You win.” she sighed out while taking it off completely. “Plus, it would’ve been difficult to eat with this thing on anyways.”

“You make it sound like it’s horrible to hug me!” he shot back and pouted out his lip a little bit.

“Not horrible…just…bad.” she said and cast him a quick smile to let him know she was just joking with him.

But he turned his head up in the other direction and crossed his arms across his chest, making Brittany sigh out and say, “I’m sorry Joe. Here.” and wrap her arms around his waist, pulling him slightly closer to her.

When he didn’t respond to her at all, she leaned in closer and squeezed him a little tighter, hoping that would get something out of him.

She caught a glimpse of his face, and saw that he had a small smile on it, but it went away as quickly as it came when he noticed that she was looking at him.

Fine…two can play that game.

And with that, she unlatched herself from him and shot up from the seat, making the small paddleboat rock dangerously from the fast movement.

He looked up at her with a worried face when she said, “Joseph Adam, you give me a hug right now or I’m going to push you out of this paddleboat!” with both hands on her hips.

“I’d like to see you try!” he shot back at her with a skeptical laugh, but it quickly stopped when she started rocking the boat, splashing some water up onto him.

“OK, OK!” he yelled at her, hands up to surrender and she stopped and looked down at him, smug smile on her face from her triumph.

“Come down here before you fall or something. I’m not jumping in this lake after you.” he said, grabbing onto her hand and pulling her down.

She let out a fake upset scoff while bending down to sit again, but he pulled her into his lap.

Holy crap! Did NOT see that coming. Wow I’m really close to his face right now. I can see every freckle on his face and his lips…wow. Jess was right, they do look like he’s ready to make out with someone. Hey! That someone could be me! Now stop that! Don’t be crazy!

He let go of her hand and let both of his arms wrap around her waist as in to protect her, or to keep her there. Either way, she wasn’t going to fight it, despite how childish she felt as if she was sitting on Santa’s lap in the middle of a mall, telling him what she wanted for Christmas.

Maybe Joe’s lips on mine. It doesn’t have to be long…just enough to…oh who am I kidding?! Kiss me and don’t ever stop!

The smile he had on his face from when she let out a small squeal of surprise from his pull, slowly vanished as he looked at her eyes, his eyes glancing down every few seconds towards her lips.

She felt her heartbeat ten times faster than normal, as opposed to how it stopped from when he gave her a kiss on the cheek yesterday, and she could hear her heavy breathing, trying to get enough oxygen to her brain to keep her coherent. Her mouth felt suddenly dry as he leaned in towards her for the second time within a matter of a half hour.

She closed her eyes, upon seeing his shut slightly and right as she felt his breath hit her lips, making them tingle, it happened.

She heard the faint noise of her cell phone going off in her pocket.

She leaned away slightly from him and let out a loud sigh, while he did the same, letting his arms helplessly fall from her waist.

She pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and maneuvered herself out of his lap and into her seat.

“Hey Steph. What’s up?” she asked with as much enthusiasm she could muster from having her ‘best friend’, at least that’s what Steph called her, along with Jessica, ruin her second moment with Joe.

“So there’s for sure going to be a party tonight at my house. You should defiantly come. It’s not going to be a lot of people there either. But I can tell you for sure who is!” she said, clearly not hearing the disappointment from her greeting.

“Who?” Brittany asked, slightly curious as to why Steph would be all happy about this mystery guest that would either be for herself or Steph.

“Will! He’s been asking about you lately. He also says that he’s gonna ask you something. But I don’t know what it is yet…I’ll find out for you. Whatcha’ doing? Jess said you had a date today or something?” she asked, her hyperness floating away.

“Will’s gonna be there? That’s cool. And please and thank you on finding out for me. And yeah. I’m kinda on right now.” she said, casting a quick glance at Joe who just took a bite out of his chicken cutlet sandwich that Denise made for him.

“Oh My Gosh! I’m so sorry. Hey! Why don’t you invite Joe to the party? Or wait, I’ll call and ask him, that way he feels like he’s actually invited, not because you’re with him now.” she rambled on.

“Ok.” was all Brittany was able to say back seeing as how Steph was currently running the conversation.
“And you should spend the night. Ask your uncle. And call me before you head on over. People are coming over around…9-ish.” she informed her as Brittany tore her eyes away from Joe’s depressed face.

“Ok. Sounds good. See you then.” Brittany said quickly, hanging up so Steph couldn’t start another ramble about something else.

“What’d Steph have to say?” Joe asked her almost instantly, not even bother to turn his head fully towards her and taking another bit out of his sandwich.

“She’s having a party tonight.”

He nodded his head in understanding and when he finished chewing he asked, “Who’s Will?” as casually as possible.

“Just some guy I know. You’ve actually met him. Well, seen him anyways. Form the football game a couple of weeks back. The one who said that The Replacement’s was the best football movie ever.” Brittany rambled on, not really knowing what else to say other than to answer his question.

“Oh yeah. I remember now.” he said, finally turning his head to look at her to show his forced smile.

And cue the awkward silence between them now.

Brittany reached back into the picnic basket and pulled out one of the other sandwiches that was in the mini cooler.

“Is this one mine?” she asked, not wanting to accidentally eat one of his sandwiches and make the situation even worse between them.

“Yeah.” was all he said and right as he was about to take another bit out of his sandwich, his phone rang.

“That’s Steph. She’s inviting you to her party.” Brittany quickly informed him and he nodded his head before flipping it open.

Now it was Brittany’s turn to sit there and listen to the one-sided conversation.

“Yeah. Ok. Sounds cool. I’ll see you tonight.” she heard him say, making her snap her head towards him with a surprised face.

“You’re actually going to go?” she asked, and he laughed somewhat at her surprised face and tone.

“Yeah. It’ll be fun. Plus, gotta actually meet this Will guy. Make sure he’s good enough for you.” he said, throwing her a quick smile before taking a bit out of his sandwich.

“Right..” Brittany said, nodding her head slowly up and down in understanding. “Cuz we’re just friends.” she shot out, coming out a little bit more hostile than she planned.

Too bad we’re friends that can’t kiss each...