You Saved Me

Something Different

“Ok everyone. Settle down please. Since it’s the first day of school, the only thing I’d like to do today is for you all to get to know each other. So when the ball is tossed to you, stand up and tell us a little bit about yourself.” the over ecstatic middle aged women named Ms. Meyer said over the mumbling of students.

You’ve got be kidding me.

This was like the 4th time that she had to do this today.

Math, English, History and now Economics. She was sure she would fail this class, but oh well. She needed it to pass high school.

She already had lunch, which was unbearable. It seemed everyone was already grouped off on the first day of school. Old friends now back together now that summer was over.

Gym was fun, they didn’t really do anything. She got to get a glimpse of some of the girls eyeing her up suspiciously and sending her glares as some of the boys came up and asked her questions like what her name was and where she was from.

Oh yeah, and since everyone knew everyone from the past years that they all spent together, she was known as the ‘new girl’ since nobody seemed to recognize her.

Funny how it’s the first day of school and you’re already marked as ‘unclaimed territory’ by guys and ‘potential risk factor’ by girls.

“I’m Stephanie Walgrave and I’m a Senior this year and I love volleyball.” a girl with light brown, almost blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail said with a giant smile on her face.

She was pretty, no doubt about that, and she seemed to have an air of confidence around her that made everyone else stop and stare.

No doubt she’s a popular one.

She scanned the room after saying what she was instructed to and her eyes landed on the ‘new girl.’

She smiled sweetly at her and tossed her the little inflatable globe ball lightly.

Brittany caught it and took a deep breath, already knowing what was expected of her.

“I’m Trisha Coppers and I’m the new girl.” she said effortlessly, since that was all she wanted to give out about herself.

And another lie is spread already.

She quickly scanned the room and noticed a blonde haired boy staring at her intently, so she decided to toss the ball to him, hoping to make him stop his staring.

As she took a seat she saw a small look of disappointment run across the girl’s face that had tossed her ball before leaning her elbow on her desk and letting her chin rest in it while she turned towards the boy that was talking.

“I’m Mike Wells and I was wondering if I could get the new girls digits.” the blonde boy said in a cocky manner, making most of the guys snicker at his remark.

Brittany just glared at the boy and leaned back in her seat, arms folded across her chest.

“You’re such a jerk Mike. She didn’t even have a whole first day and you’re already hitting on her. At least give her a day.” the Stephanie girl snapped at the kid and then looked over at Brittany and gave her a quick smile and wink.

Brittany couldn’t help but smile somewhat at how this Stephanie girl seemed to stick up for her, despite the fact that she knew nothing about her.

“Alright Mr. Wells, you’ve had your fun. Pass the ball along.” Ms. Meyer said with an upbeat voice, glad that everyone so far had been cooperating to an extent.

Mike tossed the ball at a girl with blonde hair and sat down in his seat. But as he took his seat he glanced back at Brittany and made a kissing face towards her and then added a wink afterwards before turning his attention to the blonde named Whitney.

“Ugh. What a pig.” Brittney muttered under her breath and looked the other way.

“Better get used to it. There’s a lot of barnyard animals around here.” a soft humorous male voice say from behind her.

She turned in her seat slightly to get a better look at him and recognized him from her gym class, although couldn’t really remember his name.

“Thanks for the heads up.” she said softly and gave him a smile before turning around and facing the front of the room.

“So you’re names Trisha huh? I like it. I’m Joe.” he whispered and she could tell that he leaned forward towards her since his breath was making some of her hair from the right side of her head move slightly.

She frowned slightly, already sad that she lied to this boy, what twice now about what her real name was? It sucked always having to lie to people.

The ball came whizzing past her head, and she heard a soft thump of the ball hit someone’s hand.

“I’m Joe Jonas and I like Orange Gatorade.” she heard him say from behind her and she tried to stifle her laugh from his comment.

He tossed the ball to a brown haired boy before taking his seat again and then leaned forward across the top of his desk towards her and whispered, “What? Don’t like Orange Gatorade? You‘re a Grape fan aren’t you?”

She could hear the smile in his voice, which caused her to smile slightly and then whispered back, pushing herself lower into her seat so she could see the top his head and said, “No. I’m an Orange fan.”

She heard him softly chuckle under his breath while she moved back into a normal sitting position.

What was this? It was defiantly something different than she ever felt before.

Yeah, she had guys talk to her before, but not one that left her wanting more. His voice was smooth with a twinge of confidence that left a fluttering feeling in her stomach.

But she couldn’t get attached. It was against the rules. The rules that she set for herself.

Who knew how long she would be here at this school and she hated saying goodbyes. It was bad enough on her, she didn’t want to make it more difficult on someone else.

Plus, she was an expert at being invisible. She knew how to come and go in people’s eyes, that way they would remember her name and what she looked like, but forget as soon as she left the room, so he‘d probably forget her almost immediately.

The bell rang loudly, stopping a girl named Rachel mid sentence to signal that there was only one last class of the day now. Bringing a certain hype to everyone around her.

She glanced down at her schedule and read ‘Physics, Room 347, Manning.’

She groaned, after reading the word physics, but jumped when a girls voice asked her if Mike hit on her again.

She turned around and recognized the girl from before that had tossed the ball to her and said, “No. Just my last class is physics. I hate science.”

“Join the club. We can walk together if you want. I have that class too.” she offered, giving her a gentle smile.

Brittany smiled back at her shyly and nodded her head and said, “That would be great. Thanks.”

“Ok. Let’s go. I’ll see you later Joe.” she said quietly and then a little bit louder, “Bye Katie!” towards a girl with long black hair before leading the way through all the bodies of the classroom.

“So you’re new here huh? Where you from?” she asked, books pressed against her chest and looking intently towards Brittney while somehow managing to not hit a single person that was in the crowded hallway.

“Question is where am I not from?” Brittany muttered sarcastically but quickly looked at the girl wide eyed at the comment she just made that she knew would spark a whole series of questions which would soon lead into a series of lies.

“Well, where was the last place you moved from?” Stephanie asked, already sensing that it must have not been the right thing to say on Trisha’s part.

“Oklahoma.” Brittany quickly answered and then looked down.

“Wow. Now I know why you moved here.” Stephanie said with slight laughter.

Brittany looked up at her and smiled, happy that she made it into a little bit of a joke.

“So, are you a senior?” she asked as they reached their destination.

“No. Junior” Brittany said hesitantly.

She knew that it wasn’t good for a seniors reputation to be talking to someone that was new to the school and younger than themselves. At least that’s how it was in all her other schools, which was why she never really had any friends.

Not like it mattered anyway. She barely knew the girl. Hardly enough to care if they stopped talking now.

“That’s cool. But class is about to start. Maybe I’ll see you after and if not, tomorrow in Econ?” she asked, looking genuinely sincere about her question.

Brittany nodded her head once and gave her a smile and then watched as the girl took a seat next to a black haired girl at one of the two person each tables.

She scanned the room for an empty spot which happened to be next to the Mike kid that hit on her last hour in front of everyone.

Of course. The last class I have and I have to sit next to the pig.

><

The rest of the week went by ok. It wasn’t anything spectacular.

Bobby was still extremely nice about not giving her grief for waking him up another two times from her screaming. Also, he gave her her space, but found ways to talk to her without offending her and her privacy.

Stephanie had casually talked to her a little more everyday and it shocked Brittany how easy it was to talk to her.

She seemed to sense when something Brittany said obviously slipped and quickly dropped the subject, allowing Brittany to catch her breath.

What was the matter with her?! She never let things slip up this bad before when she talked to someone. And she’d only know Steph for 4 days!

Then again, she never really had any friends at school before to talk to. Maybe that was why it all seemed to come out when talking to her.

Stephanie was even nice enough to ask the black haired girl, Samantha, to switch seats with her so Brittany wouldn’t have to listen to Mike’s attempts of hitting on her in Physics.

The Joe kid came and went with his comments. Like asking for a pen to borrow or a piece of paper to use. And then a witty or funny comment after that like making a pig snort whenever he saw Mike eyeing Brittany and then it was over.

Why did that bother her so much though?!

She couldn’t already like him that much. It was normal to have a little crush. She always got one when at a new school, but not like this one.

But she didn’t dwell on it too much when she wasn’t around him though. She pushed it to the back of her head how he always seemed to catch her attention and then abruptly end the conversation right when she was comfortable enough to say something. She had other things to think about than a certain boy name Joe Jonas.

Sure he was cute, and always shot a breath taking smile her way whenever they caught a glimpse of each other, it almost made stop her thinking about the psycho killer that was still after her. Almost.

She didn’t want to get too attached to someone and have them become a casualty.

“So, the public high school down the street is having a football game tonight. You should come. Plus, I know a lot of guys that would want to take you to homecoming!” Stephanie informed her on the way to Physics class on Friday.

“That’s ok. I don’t know anything about football.” Brittany tried to reject the invitation politely.

“Oh come on Trisha, please?! I barely know a lot about football. You just cheer when the rest of the team cheers and boo when the team gets upset. Plus, it’s a Friday night. It’s not like you don’t have the weekend to do any of your homework.” Stephanie pleaded, pulling at anything for a reason for Brittany to tag along.

Brittany grimaced at the fact that her friend was calling her “Trisha”. And yes, as much as Brittany didn’t want to admit it, Stephanie had somehow made her way to the friend category within 5 days of knowing each other. That was like a first, ever.

They both took their seats at the table inside the classroom and then Stephanie spun in her seat, begging and pleading Brittany with her eyes.

After a few seconds, Brittany could feel her wall crumble at the top that she built up to keep herself safe from harm and then rolled her eyes and sighed, causing Stephanie to squeal with delight and hug her new friend quickly.

“I promise. You’ll have so much fun. Maybe you can come over to my house before hand and we can get ready. Their school colors are blue and gold. Did you need to borrow any of my clothes? You can if you want.” she rambled on, huge smile on her face.

“I think I can find something. I can meet you at the school if you want. I don’t need to come over.”

“Nonsense. If anything I’ll pick you up. You don’t live too far away from the school and it’s actually on the way.” Steph said, batting the air between them and then turned toward the front of the class since Mr. Merlot, which he persistently said that you annunciate the ‘T’ at the end, took his usual place in front of the class.