I'm Trapped as a Cat?

Prologue

"Faylinn!" my mother called impatiently from the stairwell.

"We're going to be late for Simon and Mindie's barbacue! Stop messing with your hair and get you butt down here!"

My mom knows me well. I was currently standing in front of my mirror, trying in vain to tame my unruly chestnut brown waves into some form of normalicy. You see, Bob and Mindie were our next door neighbors, and every year they throw this big 'ol 4th of July party. Now don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE the 4th of July. What other day of the year can you be mindlessly destructive and write it off as patriotism? And then there's the food. Good deal.

Perhaps the most interesting thing at Simon and Mindie's barbacue will be their son Maverick.

Ah, Maverick. Where do I begin to describe the total perfectness that is Maverick Swift. He has the most beautiful pair of stormy gray eyes that make him look like he's off in dreamland most of the time, and he is. His sandy blonde hair has natural highlights in it, especially on a day like this in mid-summer. It always looks like he's just rolled out of bed, and flops around like a shaggy blanket on his head before settling into a perfect tousle that falls gracefully over one stormy eye. But my favorite feature by far is his smile. He's very soft-spoken, but he does this thing when he's happy, a small, roguish smile that only seems to affect half his face, lighting up one side while the other stays dreamy and silent. Between you and me, I have had THE biggest crush on him since he first moved to the neighborhood when I was six, can't you tell? He wasn't the type of guy that had all the girls at school drooling over him. If he was, I probably wouldn't be interested at all. He's actually quite oblivious in a cute way, maybe that why I like him so much. Beautiful people are so much nicer when they don't ACTUALLY realize they are beautiful. That's another reason why I haven't been able to tell him how I feel. Somewhere along the way I expected him to realize his potential and get in with the popular crowd, never to be seen again. So far that hasn't happened, leaving me pleasantly surprised and maybe even a bit hopeful, but I'm such a wuss, I'd never be able to tell him how I feel.

He was beautiful.

I was not.

So naturally he doesn't even know I exist. He's not mean, and he doesn't pick on me or anything, but we have an unspoken, understood relationship. Whenever I see him out and about, I give him a wave, and he gives me one. This is around the point where my heart explodes, but he doesn't know that, and I'd like to keep it that way.

"Faylinn!" my mother's exasperated cry rang out from downstairs. I sighed with annoyance as my emerald green eyes swept my reflection one last time before I resigned myself to the usual dissappointment at my appearance and flounced down the stairs.

"There you are! And don't you look just wonderful! Dressin' to impress huh?" she waggled her eyebrows suggestively at me and I blushed. Not even Mom was supposed to know about my little crush, but like I said before my mom knows me extremely well. She put a finger to her lips and made an overdramatic show of locking up her lips with a key.

"Mums the word Faylinn. I stay out of your love life and you stay out of mine."

This was true. My parents had gotten divorced a couple years ago when my mom found out that my dad had been cheating on her with his assistant. My mom's a strong woman and she kicked his butt to the curb. I don't blame her. But time started to go by, and she started dating. I was a little younger then, and I'll admit I did some things that weren't very mature to discourage her suitors. After one of them left the house fuming with pie crust still stuck to the seat of his pants, mom forced me to promise I wouldn't get involved with her love life. As a compromise, she agreed that she would stay out of mine, or lack there of. She had always tried to get me to jump off the deep end when it came to love and I was more practical than that. She kept telling me it would be my undoing, and she didn't know how right she was...
♠ ♠ ♠
So this is kind of an original idea that I've been mulling over in my mind. I had the first couple chapters written out on my quizilla account and I decided to cart it over to mibba to see what you guys think. Any comments would be appreciated.