I'm Trapped as a Cat?

The Barbecue

I rubbed the side of my nose anxiously as we made our way next door to the Swift's house for the barbecue. It was a nervous habit I'd developed that refused to go away even now. I don't know why I was so nervous. We'd been over to the Swift's house every year for their annual barbacue, why should today be any different? It wasn't any different, I was just MADLY in love with Maverick. Any time I came near him, my palms got all sweaty and my tongue swells up before I can say anything, and then I end up looking like an uncomfortable dope. As we neared the front door my breath quickened and I felt lightheaded. I probably would have passed out but my mom had a firm grip on my hand and tugged me along at a reasonable pace. I stood akwardly to one side as mom rang the doorbell and when Mindie opened the door I tried to look extremely interested at the ants crawling up the trellis of the porch.

"MARILYNN!!!!" Mindie screamed in excitement. She rushed out onto the porch and embraced her in an affectionate hug. They had been best friends since the Swifts had moved in next door. Mindie had helped my mom pull the pieces back together after the divorce, and I was thankful to her for that.

"MINDIE!!!!" My mom replied, trying to repay Mindie's enthusiasm.

What came next was an endless cascade of gossip for several minutes while I continued to stand akwardly on the porch. Mindie finally noticed me standing there.

"Oh hello Faylinn! Good to see you again sweetie. You look very nice today, did you get a new haircut?"

"Well, I-" she cut me off before I had time to answer her question.

"Can you do something for me sweetie?" I hated it when she called me that. Again she didn't wait for a response but I was used to this sort of thing from her.

"Can you go upstairs and tell Maverick that his friends just arrived? I meant to let him know but I got all caught up with greeting the guests."

Maverick. Just the mention of his name made my brain freeze. As if on cue my palms started to sweat, and I began to hastily think of an excuse.

I'm sorry Ms. Swift but I have to go to the restroom...

Before I could decline my mother had volunteered me for the task, pretending that she wasn't meddling OF course.

"She'd LOVE to go let him know the party's started. Go on Faylinn, quickly now."

Damn it mother.I squeezed in through the front door and made for the staircase. There were people everywhere and I had to work pretty hard to navigate up the staircase and down the hall I assumed was for the bedrooms. Being naturally shy, if there hadn't been a big "Mavericks Room" In fancy hand drawn letters on the door at the end of the hall, I probably would have stood there akwardly until someone asked if I needed help. Always the shy one.

This is it Faylinn. Your one chance to not make an ass out of yourself. Be calm, concise, and just deliver the message. No problemo.

I knocked on his door and waited for a response. Nothing. It was pretty loud in here after all, and I could here some kind of music coming from the other side of the door.

I knocked harder.

After what seemed like an eternity the doorknob turned and I held my breath. There he was in all his beautiful glory. His stormy eyes pierced me to the soul, and upon seeing me standing there, recognition flickered behind them and he let loose one of his rare half-smiles.

"Hi Faylinn. What's up?" He asked casually.

I began to relay the message that I had memorized for him, but about halfway through my resolve faltered. Like clockwork my tongue swelled up and it ended up coming out something like this:

"Your ma wanted...me...tho thell...ooo... thatht ur ph-phrends are here and to thum thownthtairs to meeth them."

He looked bewildered for a moment and waited to see if I would say anything else. I didn't. I just stood there in awe looking totally stupid.

"Um, I'm sorry Faylinn, but what did you say, I couldn't understand."

Nice going idiot. Now he thinks your a retard.

I tried again, this time a little more successful. "I thaid... I mean... I said that your friends are downstairs and... um" He seemed to guess the rest of the message and nodded.

"Mom wants me downstairs too then?" He asked. I simply nodded.

"Cool. Tell her I'll be down in a sec, okay?" I nodded again. He smiled at me and my heart exploded all over again.

"See you in a bit Faylinn." He waited for a minute and it was in that moment that I realized that he wanted to change and I was standing in his doorway. I blushed a deep crimson, and he laughed, a musical sound the made my stomach flutter. I backed up into the hallway mumbling akward apologies and he excused them all before quietly shutting the door.

That should be my name, Akward Venture.
♠ ♠ ♠
So what do you guys think of Maverick? I don't like to put a picture to my characters because I like to leave it more to the imagination of the reader. The action will start soon I promise.