Status: Unsure as to whether I will be continuing on with this story, though I would very much like to.

Lacuna Hearts

The Oncoming Storm

NOAH'S POV

The small living quarters that we slept in were sound-proof, but every time someone opened the door to the new-comer's room, her screams echoed into each crevice of the facility.

I tried to read the newspaper in my hands but every shriek and sob from that room sent unpleasant chills up and down my spine.
I had talked to one of the nurses and she wouldn't specify, but she had told us that we needed to try and give this girl Riley a warm welcome because she had been through a lot. That certainly left a lot to the imagination, but little Riley's cries weren't the sounds of some self-pitying child. It was raw, unadulterated heartache that came from the very depths of her soul.

Even Peter and Elsa, who would normally be trying to consume each other's faces, were shifting awkwardly on opposite sides of the couch in front of me.

"So what do you think happened to her?" Peter blurted out of nowhere.

It took me a moment to realize his question had been directed solely at me. Both he and Elsa stared at me expectantly.

"I don't know any more than either of you." I answered and then drew my eyes back to the paper in front of me, feigning indifference.

"Yes, but what do you think happened to her?" Peter pushed, brushing a strand of his unruly mane behind his ear.

It would have been a lie to say I hadn't been idly wondering what had happened to the girl. I had been the only one of us three to catch a glimpse of her.
The first thing I noticed was obvious, her head had been woven with a bandage and was stained with blood. She also had a dark bruise on her cheek and cuts up and down her arms. Her eyelids were red and puffy, her lips tinged a slight blue and the rest of her face was deathly pale - but that contrast could have been due to her ebony hair.
They had carried her in like that days before, she had been unconscious until just a few hours ago.

"What does she look like?" He asked, as if he saw where my mind had wandered to. Elsa shot him such a predatory look that I half expected her to growl and mark her territory.

"I'm not here to feed your fantasies. I'll be in my room." I blindly grabbed a book off of the shelf behind me and made my way out of the room. I only vaguely heard Peter call after me before Elsa carried on, asking why the hell it mattered what the girl looked like.

Our rooms were like cells, an 8x5 and four-inch-thick glass case with a black curtain for privacy.
I had to pass by Riley's room to get to my own, and I was surprised to see the curtains drawn back, two cheery nurses fussing over the girl shying away from them. She had her knees up and her arms wrapped around them. Her shoulders were shaking and she noticeably flinched every time one of the nurses tried to touch her.

I didn't realize my stride had slowed until I came to a stop. Riley's stormy-grey gaze had spied me through the glass and rooted me to the spot. Her eyes were rain and thunder: pain and rage.
My book slid out of my hands and the sound of its fall reverberated loudly enough to bring myself to break the stare. I picked it back up and was hastily on my way.

I needed to forget my intrigue. Getting involved with anyone in any way was against who I was now.

Locked up in the sound-proof darkness, I closed my eyes and put her out of my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is this easier to read now?

Not much to say, I love writing this, it's really different.

I'm probably the only person who thinks this is interesting.

Oh well. It satiates my writing hunger.