Status: In progress of next chapter. :)

Intuition.

0002.

“Do you want me to drive you?” Dad asked me, standing at the front door, with his briefcase.

“No, Dad,” I sighed, “You’ll be late for work. You’ve got patients to treat and family of those patients to inform. I’ll be fine.”

He looked torn and almost looked like he was going to put his briefcase down. But he didn’t.

“Okay then, if you’re sure,” he said, looking a little defeated.

“Just go,” I replied, throwing in a smile.

He nodded and then walked out the door, shouting a goodbye. I watched from the kitchen window until I couldn’t see his car anymore then continued packing some lunch for school. It was my first day. I waited around until I had to leave for the bus. I locked the door behind me, signalling that my first day of school had officially begun.

I had to run to catch the bus, but I made it. The bus was crowded and I had no idea whether to sit or stand. I ran the risk of falling over and embarrassing myself if I stood. But if I sat next to the wrong person, I would be judged and stereotyped quickly.

I decided to sit in the one spare seat that had no one sitting in it. At leats then I didn’t run too many risks. The bus ride was loud, vicarious and interesting. I stood at the front of the school and stared at the masses of students I was soon to be surrounded by.

I was intimidated for a moment. Just a moment.

Putting on my best, most confident exterior, I strode forward through the crowds with a firm stride. It always worked. No one can tell what you’re really thinking or feeling if you look confident. I should know; I’ve had a lot of practise to get it just right.

In the admin office, I was given a class schedule and a map. I brushed off the geeky student the head mistress tried to pawn off on me and found my own way around to my first class. It was English. And for that, I was glad.

English is one of my best subjects.

I took a seat, right up the back, and got a book and a pen out. It didn’t take long for the teacher to realise that I was a new student.

“Frank? Frank Iero?” she asked, her young, musical voice floating across the room. She seemed and looked more like a gypsy princess rather than an English teacher.

“Yes, miss. That’s me,” I replied, adding just the right amount of coolness to my voice. There were some popular looking kids in this class.

“Would you like to introduce yourself, Frank?” she asked sweetly.

“I guess so,” I mumbled. I watched as a classroom of eyes all turned and focused on me. They were expecting something totally geeky, even with my appearance. I could tell. They weren’t expecting what came out of my mouth.

“Name’s Frank. I skateboard like a pro and I’m a bit of a video whore."

The teacher’s eyes crinkled delicately at the sides when she smiled. “Interesting. Can you elaborate? Tell us where you’ve come from? Why have you’ve moved here?”

“Now that, miss, is a mystery. Maybe as the year goes on, you’ll all find out,” I replied, a sly smile on my face as I scanned everyone’s faces. I could tell I had them all interested, hook, line and sinker.