Status: Complete

You Are My Favorite Joke

Chapter 1

It was around 11pm and I was standing behind the counter, the bar was empty and I was waiting for Miss Oliver to finish counting the money so I could go home. The business was hers and I knew I could have a better job but I couldn’t just leave an old woman with a business in hand. I was the only person working there so the salary wasn’t that bad but I wanted more. The bar was in a hidden part of Gotham City, I didn’t like the place because it was dark and I didn’t like darkness, even one bit, and because some guys from the mob used to go there with their henchmen.

They liked to mess around me with their foolish accents, with their mighty dogs who eat human flesh and with their weapons of massive destruction. The only thing they had in common was the subject of their conversations: The Joker. Even in the news people talked about him. In my opinion that was what he wanted, media attention, fear from the people who lived in Gotham and hearing Harvey Dent, the district attorney, promise people things that he knew he maybe couldn’t fulfill without the help of Batman. Well for me Batman had his days. He seemed so great and strong but there was something about him that I didn’t like, though I didn’t knew what but perhaps it was the fact he appeared and disappeared out of nowhere or maybe the fact that he had saved my life once.

Some months ago some mob guy named Gambol appeared in the bar with his gang. He just hit on me without any effort to hide it. I was getting sick of him but I knew that fighting back wasn’t a good idea. I ended up telling him to leave, they did but I didn’t believe that they actually gone and although Miss Oliver told me to stay I had to go home. I was walking on the dark street when some of Gambol’s man grabbed me from behind, while he appeared all proud of himself for trapping me though I made clear he was disgusting to me. When I was losing my hope on a rescue or a hero Batman appeared.

He kicked them all hard without using weapons and he just picked me up and took me home. He gave me a bat shaped pin he had on his cape and he made me promise to wear it all times. Considering the place where I worked I couldn’t use it for everyone to see but I kept my promise because the pin was always on my jeans pocket.

“Ashley dear I’m done.” Miss Oliver said, taking me from my thoughts with a smile and going to the second floor where her room was while I was sitting on the counter eating an apple.

“Alright see you tomorrow!” I said waving at her.

Well has you might have noticed my name is Ashley, Ashley Fox. Lucius’s Fox daughter. Yes I know my father is a computer genius and a mathematic genius but I lived in his shadow. I had a degree and a proposal on Bruce Wayne’s company to work there but companies weren’t my favorite place to work. My father didn’t like my job but he respected it calling me a ‘rebel’. I smiled remembering what he called me, my dad was just the best person I’ve ever known and I was glad he doesn’t judge me.

I locked the front door and grabbed my purse starting to walk. I pulled my chocolate brown hair away from my face and looked at my watch, it was 11.30 pm sharp. It wasn’t late but the street wasn’t friendly. I quickened my pace sensing someone’s eyes on me, I turned around and I saw a clown face. I widened my eyes and then I just closed them and opened them in a zap. Nothing.

I thought I was dreaming so I shook my head and I continued on my way home. I could swear I heard someone giggle behind me but I couldn’t see a living soul, I shrunk my shoulders and I started whistling to keep myself distracted. In front of me in a matter of seconds a body appeared.

A manly figure, with a purple coat on and some trousers I couldn’t figure out the color. Remember that it was very dark. I tried to see who he was until he looked right at me. I continued to look at him surprised, where did he come from? He seemed so familiar but I couldn’t remember from where.

He had a deck of cards on his left hand and suddenly they disappeared. He was smiling evilly at my shocked face. I admit it I love clowns since I was a child but that clown seemed too happy. He had a smile so big on his face that it seemed almost imprinted in his face so he had a permanent smile. He didn’t take his eyes of me which made me uncomfortable I didn’t like to have people staring at me.

The wind blew on my face making my hair go to my eyes, I pulled it away and the clown had disappeared. I didn’t like this one bit so I literally ran home still feeling like being watched.