No Particular Reason

Chapter 5

“Billie, have you seen Jakob?” Adrienne came briskly into the bedroom she shared with her husband, who was writing in his familiar song notebook.

“He walked Christy home and said he was staying over there for dinner.” Billie Joe barely batted an eye in Adrienne’s direction. Does ‘pungent’ have the n before the g, or after?”

“Before. He told me he wasn’t staying, that he was only walking her home and then coming back. It’s almost nine, he should be home either way.” Adrienne began to worry even more and started to bob her right toes. “Billie,”

“Woah, woah.” Billie Joe got off of the bed and came towards his wife. “Don’t panic. Joseph Come here ”

“What’s up?” Joey came into the bedroom, apple in hand.

“Have you seen Jakob?” Billie Joe looked to his oldest for information.

Joey shook his head. “No, I haven’t seen him since he was taking Christy home. Why? Is he not back yet?”

“No.” Adrienne moaned as she yanked up the phone by the bed and dialed a number. “Hi Mr. Andrews, this is Adrienne Armstrong, Jakob’s mom. Is Jakob there by any chance? Oh really? Well, if you see him, could you please have him call me. Okay, thank you. Bye.”

Adrienne clicked the phone off, her pale skin even paler. “Christy’s dad said he left hours ago and hasn’t seen or heard him. He hasn’t called or. . . this isn’t like him.” Adrienne ran her hands through her hair in distress. “Oh, God.”

“Go start the car.” Billie Joe muttered to Joey as he went to Adrienne, Joey darted out of the bedroom to give his parents some needed alone time. “Adie, baby, look at me.”

Adrienne lifted her head to show already tearful eyes and stressed features.

“It’s going to be okay. Joey and I are going to go look for him and we’ll bring him home.” Billie Joe cradled her head in his hands.

Adrienne shook her head. “No, I’m going with you.”

“No.” Billie Joe said firmly as he kissed her. “Stay here in case he calls or comes back. Both me and Joey will have our phones with us and we’ll stay in touch. He’s okay, I promise.” He kissed her again and left the room and made quick haste to the car.

“Okay,” He sighed when he got in. “Do you have any idea where he would have went? A friend’s house or. . . .”

Joey shook his head. “No. I hate to say this but Jakob’s kind of a loner.”

“What about Frankito’s?”

Joey scoffed. “He wouldn’t go there if the world was on fire and his house was made of water.”

Even in the dim car light, Billie Joe’s features showed evident confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Have you not noticed Jakob lately?” Joey looked at his father in disbelief. “He’s been miserable and not himself. I would even go as far as to say depressed. And it’s all Frankito’s doings.”

Billie Joe turned to face Joey. “What?”

Joey sighed and leaned back in his seat. “Frankito has been torturing and humiliating Jakob since the summer and Jakob’s been taking it for some reason. I don’t know why, but he has. Frankito is the one that is causing Jakob to be the way he is. Frankito was the one who set Milo on fire. Frankito is the one who has been stealing Jakob’s homework and Frankito was the one who burned the hell out of Jakob’s arm with a cigarette.”

“What? Why the Hell didn’t I know about this?” Billie Joe beat the steering wheel in frustration.

“He didn’t want anyone to know and Frankito probably threatened him if he did tell.”

Billie Joe tapped the steering wheel. “Do you think. . . “
Joey nodded. “Yeah.”

“Where do you. . . “

“Probably Munford’s Park. It’s in between our house and Christy’s house.”

“Munford’s Park?” Billie Joe repeated. “That place is nothing but a gang bangers dream house. What the Hell?”

“That’s where Frankito and his new buddies hang out.” Joey confessed. “Dad, I think we need to go there. I hope I’m wrong, but let’s check it out.”

------------*------------

“Jakob ”

“Jake ”

Billie Joe and Joey walked along the cracked pathway of Munford’s Park yelling for Jakob. The street lamps had long gone out or, in some cases, shot out so the path was eerily dark and morose.

Occasionally they passed someone, but it was never Jakob or anyone they recognized, so they kept going. Billie Joe could feel his phone vibrating in his pocket, he knew it was Adrienne wanting to know what was going on, but he didn’t have the heart to tell her that he didn’t know anything yet, but it was equally difficult to leave her wondering and panicking.

Joey squinted at something ahead and off the path. “Dad, look at that.” He pointed to a cluster of bushes.

“Shit, shit, shit, shit, JAKOB ” Billie Joe ran to the bushes, Joey right behind him, where a pair of visible legs were sticking out at, wearing Jakob’s jeans and shoes.

“Jakob.” Billie Joe breathed as he came to the body that was face down in the grass. He gently rolled it over to find Jakob beaten, bruised, and bleeding. “Ca. . .ca. . . call an ambulance Now ” He yelled to Joey as he picked Jakob’s head up and placed it in his lap.

“Hey pal, come on, wake up. It’s Dad.” Billie Joe didn’t dare tap on his cheek that was bloodied. Jakob’s eyes were both black and swollen and his nose was turned at an awkward angle. “Come on Jake, open your eyes. Jakob Danger listen to me. Open your damn eyes.”

“They’re on their way.” Joey said as he kneeled down by Jakob too. “Oh Hell.” Joey lifted Jakob’s shirt to find his chest as battered as his face. “He’s probably broken his ribs and his arm.” He gingerly touched Jakob’s limply laid arm. “I’m going to kill that son of a bitch.”

Billie Joe didn’t look up from Jakob’s face. “You don’t know,”

“Yes I do ” Joey interjected roughly.”Frankito did this Dad and Jakob will tell you that the moment he wakes up. Franktio Wright is the reason behind all of this and we don’t care if his dad is your friend and our godfather. That monster did this Dad. He tried to kill Jakob.”

The wail of the ambulance met their ears, it would be there at any moment.

“I have to call your Mom.” Billie Joe muttered softly as he called Adrienne. “And tell her to meet us at the hospital.”

Jakob’s eyes opened a small slit and a barely audible groan came from inside his throat.

Billie Joe, phone to his ear, leaned back down. “Hey Jake. It’s okay. Don’t move, the ambulance is coming. You’re going to be all right.”

Jakob’s breathing quickened, he seemed to have begun to panic. “Da,. . . .da. . .”

“No, no. Don’t try to talk right now.” Billie Joe smoothed Jakob’s tangled hair. The ambulance was getting closer and louder now. “It’s going to be okay. I promise.”

Joey was kneeled next to Jakob, unsure of what to say or do. He couldn’t believe that his younger brother was laying on the ground, unable to get up and barely able to talk.

The ambulance was there and paramedics rushed over to Jakob. “Please step away, both of you.” One said in a kind, but stern voice. The lifted Jakob up gently onto a stretcher and began talking in medical terms.

Billie Joe crossed to Joey and grabbed his forearms. “Joey, I’m going back to get your Mom. Stay with Jakob and we’ll meet you at the hospital. Stay with Jakob, Joey. Do you understand me? Stay with Jakob.”

“Yes sir.” Joey nodded as Billie Joe, looking like a lost and pitiful child, gave one more longing look to his youngest, unconscious son and ran to the car.

“I’m going with him. He’s my brother and I’m not leaving him alone.” Joey informed one of the paramedics as they began to move Jakob to the ambulance to take him to the hospital.

“There’s not enough room, sir.” The paramedic said as they pushed Jakob securely into the back of the ambulance.

Joey didn’t bother to bite his tone. “Then make fucking room. That is my brother and he is scared. I’m not going to leave him there alone. Either you can make room or I will leave your ass here. I’m going either way.”

The medic stood there for a moment and stared at Joey. “Okay, get in.” He said briskly after the silent moments were up.