No Particular Reason

Chapter 7

“I can’t believe this.” Tre’ said as he sat with the Armstrongs, Mike, and his wife Andrea. “I mean, who would do this? Especially to Jakob? The kid wouldn’t hurt a dead worm.”

“I know.” Mike nodded in agreement. “This is awful. I can’t. . . I can’t believe it.”

Billie Joe and Adrienne said nothing but held each other as they sat together. They were both deathly pale and worried. The police were still talking to Jakob followed by the on staff hospital psychiatrist.

Joey leaned up against the wall alone. He still hadn’t called Amy; she had no idea what was going on. He wanted to call her, he wanted her there, but at the same time he didn’t. Joey bit his lip and sighed. Everything was wrong. It didn’t even feel real. It felt more like a bad dream you couldn’t wake up from and the terror just got worse.

“Guys, I heard and I came right over.” Frankito rushed into the waiting room, concern etched on his face with washable emotion.

Billie Joe shot Joey a glare that told him to keep his temper in check and not to do anything. Joey’s fists curled in his pockets as Frankito put on a caring front about what had happened to Jakob, asking who, what, when, where and why.

Tre’ had gotten up and met his son. “I’m glad you got my message. Jakob will probably want to see you when he wakes up.”

Joey couldn’t help but scoff at that remark. He was positive that Jakob would only want to see Frankito through iron bars and barb wire. He met the look Billie Joe shot him. Joey didn’t care about making a scene or not.

He didn’t care that Frankito was Tre’s son. He didn’t care that he would probably get arrested. All he wanted to do was punish Frankito the way Jakob was unable to do and he didn’t care how he did it. He would be satisfied whipping Frankito’s naked eye with a wet noodle, just as long as it caused Frankito ample amounts of pain.

“Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong?”

Billie Joe and Adrienne look up to see an official looking policeman with a folder of papers.

“I need to speak to you in private about your son.”

The couple got up silently and followed the policeman. Billie Joe tugged at Joey to come along with them as they were led to a small private room down the hall.

The officer extended his hand to the empty chairs. “Please, have a seat. We have a lot to discuss right now.”

Billie Joe and Adrienne took the chairs but Joey remained standing, leaning up against the wall.

“What happened tonight?” Adrienne asked, her voice still thick with emotion.

The officer sighed and pulled a piece of notebook paper out of the folder. “I am Officer Nelson, by the way. I just got finished talking with your son, Jakob, and since he is unable to talk, I asked him to write what happened tonight and under the influence of the pain medication he is on, he was very honest and didn’t hold anything back. We can confirm that he is telling the truth because we found the DNA and evidence to back it up at Munford’s Park.”

“I want charges. I want the bastard who did this punished.” Adrienne said as Billie Joe took the offered paper from Officer Nelson.

Joey leaned over his Dad’s shoulder to scan the roughly written statement by Jakob before he tore out the door and back down the hall.

“You son of a bitch ” Jakob grabbed Frankito and slammed him up against the wall and began punching him in the face, chest, stomach, wherever he could get to him. “If . . you. . .fucking touch. . .my brother again. . . I’ll kill you. I swear I’ll kill you.” Joey stopped punching Frankito and held him by the neck up against the wall. “I swear I will.”

“Joey ”

Joey was ripped off of Frankito by Tre’ and ignoring Tre’s questions and protests, Joey shoved Tre’ out of the way and launched himself back onto Frankito, who was able to fight back.

Ignoring the fact that people were screaming and yelling around them, that they were knocking down chairs and were both bleeding openly, Joey continued to fight until he had Frankito pinned back up against the wall.

“Why?” He hissed as he squeezed Frankito’s neck. “Why Jakob?”

Even with a lack of oxygen and a bleeding nose, Frankito smirked, shrugged and answered so nobody besides Joey could hear him. “No particular reason.”

Joey let go of Frankito and looked at him in wonder and disgust. “You’re evil. Don’t think you’ll get away with this Frankito. The cops are coming for you and there’s gonna be no mercy.”

“Joey.” Tre’ finally caught Joey’s attention. “What the Hell are you talking about? Frankito didn’t do anything.”

“The fuck he didn’t ” Joey snarled. “Tonight, he tried to kill Jakob.” He met his godfather’s blue eyes that were clouded with confusion. “Jakob told the cops and the evidence backs it up.”

Tre’ could only shake his head. “No, no. You’re wrong Joey, you’re wrong. Where’s Billie?”

“Right here.”

Everyone turned around to find Billie Joe and Adrienne standing with Officer Nelson. Billie Joe’s face was blank and vacant of emotion. His eyes were rimmed with red from suppressed tears and his voice was thick when he spoke.

Tre’ walked up to Billie Joe, still confused at what was going on. “Billie, I know what happened tonight was horrible and my heart goes out to Jakob, but Joey has no reason to attack Franktio. Where did he get this bullshit that Frankito was involved with this?”

A tear managed to escape his eyes and it slid down his cheek that was peppered with stubble. “Because he did.” Billie Joe said, meeting his friend’s eyes. “He’s been doing it for months and now it’s going to end one way or another.”

Tre’ shook his head again. “No, no. Adie,” He reached out to Adrienne but she jerked away and slapped him hard across the face, not bothering to try to stop her crying or emotions.

“Don’t you dare touch me. That monster,” She pointed to Frankito, “Tried to kill my son tonight and I want justice.”

Tre’ stood there, stunned. He wasn’t quite sure what or who to believe. “Billie,” He tried again but Billie Joe simply shook his head.

“No, man. No.”

“Sir,” Officer Nelson stepped in between the Armstrongs and Tre’. “I’m going to have to arrest your son.”

“Arrest?” Tre’ repeated, dumbfounded. He looked over his shoulder expecting to see Frankito still hunched against the wall, but instead found the wall blank and empty as Frankito had bolted in the middle of the drama.

“Tre’.”

Tre’ swirled back around to Billie Joe. “Yeah?”

Billie Joe opened his mouth and closed it again. He closed his eyes and swallowed hard, and made sure to look Tre’ squarely in the face. “I think you should leave. I think, under the circumstances, that would be best.”

Billie Joe could see the feelings of hurt, distress, and uncertainty swimming in his friend’s eyes. Tre’s features exhibited the emotions as well. “But,”

“No.” Billie Joe shook his head. “Leave, please Tre’. . . please.” Another tear fell down his cheek.