No Particular Reason

Chapter 8

Joey stood in the doorway of Jakob’s room. His parents were on either side of Jakob, fussing over him the best they could. Tubes were coming every which a way out of Jakob, leading to a blood IV, a pain medication tube, a respirator, and other things Joey didn’t recognize.

Jakob was barely recognizable to him. His face was thickly bandaged and his arm was in a metal and plaster cast. His breathing was raspy and he was now asleep, but his eyes fluttered open every now and then.

Adrienne smoothed the sheets around her youngest son and hummed an old lullaby as tears still managed to trek down her face. She brushed loose hair out of his face and kissed his cheek. “I love you.” She whispered to him as she and Billie Joe got up and walked towards Joey.

“I’m going to take your Mom home and we’ll be back in the morning with some stuff for Jakob.” Billie Joe said softly. “And talk to the cops and lawyers and stuff on what we’re going to do and all. You coming or are you going to stay here?”

Joey looked back at his brother who was breathing deeply in and out aided by the machine. “I think I’ll stay tonight, in case he wakes up or something.” He said and stepped aside to let his parents out.

Billie Joe nodded and cuffed Joey’s shoulder. “We’ll be back around 9 or before.”

Joey nodded and walked quietly into room as his parents shut the door behind them. He took a seat in the chair that was next to Jakob’s bed. It was late and he was tired, but he didn’t want to go to sleep yet.

Joey looked at his younger brother, who wasn’t even able to breathe on his own. He used to follow Joey around everywhere, imitating everything he did and it aggravated Joey to no end. But now, he would give anything to hear Jakob’s voice one more time, to have him grin. To have him laugh or to have him just open his eyes that once shined with childhood mischief.

Joey’s lip was busted and swollen from where Frankito had hit him but he didn’t care. It matched Jakob’s and he wouldn’t complain.

“Hey.”

Coming out more like a grunt than an actual word, Jakob greeted his brother, his eyes only peering through swollen slits of skin.

“Hey Jake.” Joey leaned forward. “How’re you feeling?”

Jakob feebly shrugged. “I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”

Jakob licked his dried, swollen lips and wrote on a notebook a the police had given him. “For yelling at you and being a jerk.”

Joey shook his head, his emotions were starting to get the best of him. “Don’t worry about it man. It’s okay. I wasn’t mad to begin with, honest.”

Jakob didn’t say anything, but watched Joey, who was bursting to ask a question and finally get an answer.

“What happened Jake? How did this happen?”

“You didn’t read my note?” Jakob’s voice was light and raspy and it was muddled through his wired shut mouth.

“Well, yeah, but I mean why. Why did you let Frankito take it this far? Why didn’t you let us help you Jake? We love you, you dickhead.”

Joey swore he saw a glimmer of tears in the slitted eyes of Jakob as Jakob simply shrugged, not being able to vocally defend his actions.

------------*------------

“And I can’t believe Joey didn’t call me. I would have been here ” Amy shrieked as she plumped up Jakob’s pillow behind him.

Joey rolled his eyes as Jakob smirked up at him the best he could. Jakob was enjoying being pampered by his older brother’s girlfriend and she wasn’t paying any attention to Joey aside from scolding him.

“I know.” Joey mumbled. “And I’ve all ready defended myself on it.”

“Yeah.” Amy groaned as she sat on the end of Jakob’s bed. “What are you laughing at Jakob?”

Jakob managed to laugh a little lightly before he grabbed his ribs in pain. “Ow.” He moaned and shook his head to Amy.

“Hello babies.” Adrienne came into the room with Jakob’s bookbag. “Jake, I got your assignments for the rest of the semester and a handwritten note from Mrs. King apologizing for accusations of cheating and hard times she’s given you this semester. All you basically have to do is study for your exams and let’s face it, you have nothing else to do.”

Jakob shrugged in agreement and wrote ‘Where’s Dad?’ on the notebook a nurse had given him earlier as he was advised not to talk very much.

Adrienne smiled brightly as she slid a discreet look to Joey. “He’s talking to your Aunt Holly.”

“I didn’t know she worked here.” Amy said as Joey stood up and let Adrienne take his seat.

“Oh yeah, she’s a receptionist here. She was asking about everything.” Adrienne gently pushed Joey towards the door.

Getting the message, Joey walked to the door. “I’m gonna go get a drink or something. Anybody want?” After receiving no’s, he quickly walked down the hall to find Billie Joe talking with Tre’, and it seemed to be rather intense.

“No Tre’.” Billie Joe said again, hissing it out instead of yelling.

Tre’ looked desperate as he grabbed a shoulder of Billie Joe. “Please Billie, let me see him.”

“No.”

Tre’ let go of Billie Joe and his expression hardened. “They arrested him last night you know. Tracked him down like a fucking dog and arrested him. I haven’t even been able to see him yet.”

Billie Joe looked at the floor and then back up at Tre’. “Yeah, well, he deserved it. We’re getting a restraining order too and we’re pressing everything in court.”

“Billie, they were being kids.” Tre’ was beginning to get extremely aggravated by his friend’s actions and opinions.

At his words, Billie Joe snapped. “No they were not just being kids Tre’ They tried to kill Jakob That’s not fucking playground games And there is no way in Hell I’m going to let that bastard walk away with that smug little grin on his face and get away with it. I don’t care if he’s your son.” He hissed in Tre’s face, his features mutinous.

Tre’ set his jaw and shook his head. “This isn’t over Billie. We’re going to fight back.”

“Good.” Billie Joe quipped. “Be my guest.”

Tre’ gave Billie Joe a glare that would stand a bigger man down, turned and left in a huff.

“Dad?”

Billie Joe turned around to find Joey standing there, who had apparently seen everything and he knew he didn’t have to say a word.