Crows Don't Fly Through Autumn Rain

Flying Colors

"She actually showed you around her barn?" Tamara said in awe as she looked up from polishing her riding boots. She hardly even seemed to notice a horse bolt with it's rider in the arena in front of them, the rider desperately attempting to get their horse under control.

It had been a couple of days since Dakota's fall and tour of Aubrey Wright's barn. She was at a horse clinic in a neighboring town although she wasn't there to ride. She had decided to come along while Tamara, better known as Tammy, had a few classes.

"Yeah," Dakota zipped up her jacket as the cold wind blew over them, shivering slightly. They were sitting in the open bleachers that overlooked the riding arena although it provided no cover from the rain or wind.

"I wish I had been there. You didn't even get me an autograph," Tammy said, looking up from her boots to shoot a glare at Dakota before turning back to polishing her boots.

"Well, she hardly gave me time to say anything. She didn't even remember my name," Dakota replied with a shrug. She didn't understand Tammy's fascination with the rider. She looked up when she heard a sudden snort of laugher, spotting one of the people she had been hoping to avoid that day. Deborah Marino. Commonly called Debby by Dakota although she knew Deborah hated it.

"Well, why would she remember you're name?" Deborah smirked as she climbed up the stands and sat down next to Tammy, much to Dakota's annoyance. Deborah ran a hand over her black hair which was in a neat French braid, glancing over to Dakota. "I know Aubrey quite well. She coached me when I went over to Dublin last summer. I haven't heard from her yet since she moved here, she must not realize I live around here."

Dakota turned away, attempting not to laugh as she twisted the cap off her water bottle and took a drink. It was typical of Deborah to think highly of herself. Her parents owned one of the largest and nicest stables in Newfoundland. Deborah commonly traveled to different horse events around the world and didn't waste any time in telling everyone about it.

"You were coached by Aubrey?" Tammy turned away from Dakota, sounding impressed as she addressed Deborah. "Is she coaching now? Does she give lessons?"

"I don't know," Deborah replied, turning her attention back to the arena. "But I might stop by at Crow Nest after the clinic today. Yes, I think I'll do that."

"Can I come?" Tammy asked quickly, as if startling Deborah with the question would cause her to automatically say yes. Dakota glanced up, eyebrows raised at her friend although she didn't say anything as she waited for Deborah's answer.

"Sure, but I'm not driving you home," Deborah replied, turning pointedly away from Dakota as if waiting for Dakota to ask to come too.

"Well, I'm going to go then," Dakota replied dully after a lengthy silence. If Tammy was going with Deborah, she didn't have much else to do here since everyone was finishing up their classes. "I'll phone you later, Tammy. Bye Debby."

Dakota didn't wait for an answer as she stood up and headed down the bleachers. It was starting to rain and she didn't want to sit out there any longer, having to listen to Tammy go on about Aubrey Wright or give another reason for Deborah to brag about something like she usually does. She didn't bother to remind Tammy that Tammy had promised to give Dakota a ride home. Tammy was obviously excited about going to Aubrey's farm and she didn't want to get in the way. It was only a short walk to the bus station anyway.