Rise Above This

Sixteenth Letter

Dear Krista;

Growing up is never going to get easier. That’s just the way it is. It’s annoying, repetitive, and to you everything is going to seem to happen in circles. It’s just one big chain of the same thing happening over and over again.

You’re going to meet another boy who is actually completely different from what you normally like. You’re going to fall for him against better judgment and good advice. Mostly because he seems like a sweetheart, a gentleman. He’ll take you on a date and he’s going to open his cars door for you, he’s going to open the door at the movie theater for you, he’s going to pay for your ticket. He’s going to make you smile like crazy, he’s going to make you laugh, he’s going to make you feel on top of the world.

Not that any of this will surprise you, you two have had a chemistry since you first saw each other in US History.

Like always, you don’t want to hear what other people have to say about him, about his past, about the relationship he just got out of with a girl he dated for two years. You managed to keep your guard up and yourself under control for a good three weeks. But somehow he manages to get under your skin and here you are back in the same place you always end up, crazy over a guy and in way over your head.

Then one day, after that great date, after just the day before he was flirting with you like crazy, you’re going to find out he is back with that ex-girlfriend.

You aren’t going to be very sad, after all you’ve come to expect disappointment and let downs. You are going to want to cry, but you won’t.

This is going to teach you something, if nothing else you’ve at least learned a lesson, again. To not trust what is in front of you, to stop expecting the best, to keep your emotions in check, because really, after awhile the disappointment gets old.

More importantly than anything else you’re going to realize that this really doesn’t matter. No silly relationship that happens in high school is going to matter. Because you’re going to rise above this. One day you’re going to be out of this town doing what you love and being a huge success. You’re going to look back and laugh, wonder why you wasted the time and the tears. In the end this is just another stepping stone that is only teaching you to be more cautious.

One day this isn’t going to matter because one day you’re going to be so successful that nothing from the past matters anyway.

<3 Krista