Rise Above This

Twenty-Seventh Letter

Dear Melanie,

Right now, you are 17 and facing the greatest problem you have every faced; you are losing one of the most important people to you. You know who that is, don't you? You're probably already losing him and don't even know. This is the time when your most naive. You've been dating Chris for three years, since the beginning of High School when you met in math class. Double periods are the best, aren't they? He was a year above you, a sophmore who failed the class last year. And now, he's a senior and you are a junior.

Things are changing, right before your eyes. He's beginning to ignore you more and more, standing you up and not calling back. You're worried, you're scared, you have no idea what's going to happen with you. You begin crying yourself to sleep at night so your parents can't hear you.

At school, in exactly one month before you turn 18, you'll find out something horrible. Chris has been cheating on you with your best friends' cousins' girlfriend, Sam. A girl he used to say looked slutty and that she disgusted him. Apparently, slutty and disgusting is exactly what he's going for this year. Apparently, dating this long and not giving it up to him is too much for him, well... his hormones. Apparently, he's too grown up to continue dating a girl like you. And, apparently, he's too scared to end up alone to break up with you but you don't find that out for awhile.

Breathe.

You'll soon find out it isn't just Sam who's the problem but some... certain girls you thought were just Chris' friends that don't attend your school. They, of course, were more then happy to let that facade go on. For the next two weeks, up until your 18th, you'll cry and cry over this boy. But your 18th birthday will change everything. That's the day you go out with your besties. That's the day you realize you no longer need Chris. You don't, you know? You'll realize that as long as you have you're friends and your family, what a guy does, in high school no less, won't matter in the long run. The day after your 18th, you'll find out that Chris wants you back and he tells the very same thing later on that day.

The day after your 18th birthday is the day you make the best decision of your life.

Congratulations. You have risen above this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm all teary eyed from writing this now. Names were changed, of course.