Rise Above This

Fourth Letter.

Dear Ola,

You're a smart sixth grader and you can do anything you want to. This will be your best, yet worst year of school yet and it's going to be like a roller coaster. Everyday will be something different.

You've met a lot of new people. And they will have a huge impact on the rest of your year. Some will have a good impact, some won't. Most of them are girls, except one, and you will find it extremely difficult to forget him. And he will be the object of your affection for years. But let's not even think about him.

The girls you just met will be your friends. Well, sort of. At least three of them will be. Kim and Krissy will be your friends no matter what. But the other girls you meet, they won't.

Let's start with Sarah. She seems so sweet and innocent right now. But then she is going to leave your group for a shot at the big time, and she's not going to come back. She, and her new BFF's, will bully your new best friend, Julie.

This is going to happen for a few months. But then, it gets worse for you, and not Julie. At her birthday party, Julie will announce that she is moving. At first, you will believe the lie she tells you about why. You won't understand what's going on or the real reason she has to move. But you will eventually learn why and rise above the situation.

When she leaves, you're going to be so angry. You're going to blame anyone you possibly can so that you feel like you have some closure. You're going to blame the wrong people for why she left. You took her moving away really hard. Unfortunately, you're going to say some really horrible things about Sarah, Helen, and Natalie. First, you blame Helen. But then you find out half of the truth. So you blame Sarah. You continue to blame Sarah for many months. After all, she is the reason everyone found out about Michael.

You're going to really regret saying those horrible things when you find out what really went down. And that neither of those 3 were the masterminds behind it. It was Natasha. Remember that. She is going to royally screw you over again in 7th grade, and it's going to be the worst betrayal anyone has ever done to you and your friends.

And Helen is going to fear you because she thinks you will say other things about her.

In the end, nothing is going to matter. Your efforts were all for nothing. Julie and you will barely speak to each other because she lives too far. So all the things you said, everything you fought for, anything you ever did, was a waste. But you don't regret anything except for the horrible things you said about Helen.

When Julie tells you the truth, you will get some kind of closure, and move on. You will stop being so negative about everything. You won't care about how fake Helen really is.

Know who your real friends are. They won't sell you out. They won't stop talking to you if they move far. They won't tell everyone your most personal secrets and thoughts. They won't humiliate you by telling everyone your embarrassing secret crush. And most importantly, they will be there for you no matter what.

You will encounter more problems with your friends as the years go along. You will end up disliking them all except for a few. You deserve to have true friends after all you have been through.

If you want to be friends with someone, go ahead and try. Even if your efforts fail, your true friends will be there to back you up.

Don't let anything come between you and your friends. Not music, not distance, not celebrities, and certainly not a guy. Well, especially not a guy. You've already made that mistake several times.

xoxo
Ola