Tomb Raider: The Midnight Stone

Chapter Three - Trapped

Lara traversed the long, cool entrance hall of the temple to the far wall where a tableau of eight symbols was engraved into the wall. Brushing a hand across the carved stone, she voiced each interpretation aloud for the benefit of Zip and Alistair, who were able to hear Lara's occasional reports via her headset.

"The first symbol appears to be a phoenix, which is most likely one of the puzzle pieces, a viking funeral pyre -- a service where the ships were burnt with the bodies on board. The third symbol resembles the Sun, which is composed of gas, although the rural Australian clans would not have known this...".

Scanning the remaining five symbols, Lara mused. "In fact, the other five symbols also appear to depict scenes of fire".
Alistair's voice echoed throughout the stone room, "Now Lara, lets not be rash; tell us what the other symbols are and we'll help you work this puzzle out". Lara smiled ruefully, pushing four symbols at random into the wall without much thought as to what she had pressed.
"As much as I appreciate your offer, Alistair, I do believe this is a trap" Lara explained.
The wall to her left began to slide open, revealing a concealed door.
"I hope you're joking" Alistair exclaimed, hints of hysteria peaking in his voice.
"I wouldn't dream of it" Lara promised.

The door sprung open, revealing the passage to the next section of the temple.
"Ah, a blade trap" Lara said, securing her backpack tighter on her shoulders. "Lovely".
"What... and you're just gonna go ahead and run through it, are you? That's suicidal" Zip interjected."Hush, boys; I need total concentration right now" Lara warned.

Facing the blades, Lara noted the speed and angle in which the large knives were cutting. There appeared to be a pattern in which the blades moved, and Lara watched carefully for open spaces and handholds on the wall. Readying herself, Lara placed one leg further forward than the other and launched herself towards the various blades.

A large, curved knife swung towards Lara at head-height, causing Lara to duck swiftly. A longer, flat blade skimmed across the floor, designed to trip an unsuspecting adventurer. However, Lara was prepared, and rolled forwards to meet the third and fourth blades. Mid-roll, she executed a handstand over the two, waist-height knives, ducking quickly upon landing to avoid the fifth blade.

Seeing an opportunity, Lara jumped at the wall to her right, before leaping across the lower and intermediate sets of blades. On the third jump, Lara landed on the highest blade before somersaulting into the room beyond, successfully evading the blade trap.

Brushing herself off, Lara proceeded to jog through the adjacent passage, A structure of rocks barred her path, most likely a second trap to deter any traveller's who managed to escape the blade trap. Alas, time has worn away the once solid wall, causing a single rock to fall; leaving a space for Lara to climb through. Clambering up the rough, rock, Lara rolled forwards to land in a third room. Her senses reeled, and something bowled into her, knocking her over. Lara looked up, surprised to find herself gazing into a pair of intelligent, amber eyes.