Losing the Feeling of Feeling Unique

Fifteen

'Oh, well imagine; as I'm pacing the pews in a church corridor,
and I can't help but to hear, no I can't help but to hear an exchanging of words.
"What a beautiful wedding!, What a beautiful wedding!" says a bridesmaid to a waiter.
"Oh yes, but what a shame, what a shame, the poor groom's bride is a whore."

Well, I'd chime in with a "Haven't you people ever heard of closing the god damn do-'


My karaoke session was interrupted by a knock at the door, I put down my microphone, also known as a bottle of orange juice, and walked over to the door.

'Ruby ruby ruby ruby ruby!' Brendon half sung, half shouted in the tune of the Kaiser Cheifs song.

'Brenny, how are you?' I asked, while hugging him.

'I'm good thanks. Thanks so much for letting me stay here,' he said sweetly.

'No probs Bren, you're like family, sorry, but you're stuck with the sofa.' I said, gesturing to the sofa which was almost directly behind me.

'Don't worry, I'm cool with it. Where's Jon?' he asked, casting his eyes around the apartment.

'He went grocery shopping about an hour ago, he should be back soon.' I informed him. 'Do you want a drink?'

'...And then, he got out and just fell straight on the floor, while the rest of us ran away! It was hilarious to watch afterwards!' Brendon recalled as he told me about something that happened when they were doing a promo for the Honda Civic Tour.

'I wish I could've seen it!' I laughed, wiping away tears from the corner of my eyes.

'You can! There's a video on YouTube!' he exclaimed.

'I am so watching that later - he's never going to hear the end of it. Oh, how great it is to finally have a sibling to tease!' I smirked.

After hearing the front door slam shut and I promptly heard footsteps making their way closer to where Brendon and I were chatting.

'Hey Ruby,' Jon said as he approached me. 'Oh hey Bren, didn't see you there.' he said as they hugged.

'So, who's up for something to eat?' I asked the guys.

'That'd be great Ruby,' Jon smiled.

'Yeah I'm up for it,' Brendon chimed.

I walked towards the kitchen, and began grabbing things from the bags of groceries Jon had just bought.

I walked back into the lounge and beckoned the guys to the dining table.

'This smells delicious Ruby.' Brendon said as he sat down.

'Thank you. Oh, and don't worry, its a vegan meal, I made sure of it.' I smiled at him.

We began eating and the boys seemed to be enjoying it, and if I do say so myself, it was pretty tasty.

'Whats this called?' Jon asked me.

'It's Shepard's Pie. Its an English dish, usually its just normal mashed potato on the top, but I mashed normal potatoes and sweet potatoes. Does it taste okay?' I asked, unsure if my alteration to the traditional dish worked.

'It tastes great!' Brendon said before shoveling another forkful into his open mouth.

JON'S POV

Before I knew it, I was looking at three completely empty plates sitting on the table.

'So we're going on tour in six days, I was thinking we could a cover or two beforehand. You know, to shake it up a bit' I said to Brendon.

'I'll swear to shake it up, if you swear to listen,' Brendon grinned.

'Oh no! You did not just lyric reference one of your own songs did you?!' Ruby laughed while shaking her head. 'I'm going to go and clear up' she said before stacking up our plates and returning to the kitchen.

'Bren that was bad,' I chuckled. 'Okay seriously, there's one I've been wanting to do for a while.'

'What's that?' he asked curiously.

'Um, The World Has It's Shine, by Cobra.' I said simply.

'For Ruby, isn't it?' he asked, as though he were reading my thoughts.

'No...' I said very unconvincingly, I felt my cheeks warm slightly.

'Don't worry man, we all know you really like her. Hell how could you not? You've used the 'L' word and she's moved in with you - all in the space of two and a half weeks. I've known you for two and a half years and I haven't known you to even admit feelings for a girl before!' He exclaimed.

'Shall we practise it, I know the basic chords and stuff, we could maybe change around the arrangement a bit, to give it our own spin?'

'Yep, great idea, let me just go and grab my acoustic' Brendon said as he got up and went over to his guitar case. I retrieved my acoustic bass simultaneously.

'One, two, three, four.' I counted us in.

I'm not one for love songs
the way I'm livin', makes you feel like giving up but you don't
and I want everything for you
the disappointed because you've been left behind and the word hasn't shine
I would drop it on a dime for you

hey, ho
And whatever it takes
hey, ho
I'm going to make my way home
hey, ho
We can turn our backs on the pasts and start over


Brendon finished singing the verse and I sang the chorus. He decided that I should sing it seeing as it was my choice, as much as I protested, he wouldn't back down, so I gave in.

And not long ago
I gave up hope, but you came along
You gave me something I could hold onto
oh, whoa
and I want you
oh, whoa
more than you can ever know


As I finished the chorus Ruby came in, she sat down and watched us, smiling each time we got to the chorus. Brendon played the end of the song, the last note hanging poignantly in the air, long after we finished.

Ruby clapped, her eyes glassy with tears. 'You guys that was amazing,' she gave Brendon a kiss on the cheek before coming and sitting on my lap and kissing me softly.

After a moment of silence, Nine In The Afternoon filled the air. I saw Brendon shudder, I knew he hated hearing himself sing.

'Sorry about that guys, I'll be right back.' Ruby got up and ran to the kitchen to answer her cell.

Seconds later, I heard 'IS HE OKAY?! We'll be right there.'

Ruby ran back into the living area. 'Spencer just told me that Ryan and Keltie were in a car crash in Summerlin!' she screeched.
♠ ♠ ♠
DRAAAAAMA!

Likey?

Comment?