Silver Foil

Chapter Two

"Ms. Danes, have you been paying attention?"

"Yes," Robyn answered dully.

"Then read the poem on page 196 and explain what it means to you," she instructed.

"Would it ever work for us
lines burning on a page.
So near, so far
in another age.
Of love in all its glory
of noble king and queens
of life's own true story.
Of a love, that could
have been."

"Beautiful! Now, tell us what it meant to you. Did it make you feel anything or think?"

"It's talking about a love of writing but not being able to finish because reality still exists."

"Wow," the English teacher hesitated," that is a different way to look at that poem."

A girl in the front row raised her hand and said, " Silly little Robyn is wrong. It's about having loves that confuse you in real life."

A cloud of silence fell over the class. The students were all thinking as hard as they could to see which girl was right. Noah stuck his hand up first.

"Yes, Noah?"

"I agree with Robyn. It seems that the author is talking about writing from the 2nd line and how he wants it badly from the line after that. When he says 'of noble kings and queens,' it makes the mind think things like fantasy or past. 'Life's own true story' makes it seem that reality is being brought back into play where the author is left without his goal, the writing, and into the real world. The last line also supports my last suggestion."

"Well, just so there's no fuss, this poem was put in today's lesson to spark a discussion and explanation. Robyn and Noah and even you, Isabelle, did a fabulous job. The assignment for tomorrow is to research five minor poems and explain them like we did today. Have a nice day, class!" Mrs. Thames shouted over the bell.

Robyn grabbed her things and shoved through the throng of kids stalling in front of the doorway and into the busy halls. She had gotten all of her things for her classes until lunch so went right past her locker which was two doors down from Noah's.

"Wait up, Robyn!" exclaimed Noah.

With that Robyn's speed increased as she power-walked to her next class, Band. Noah coincidentally had every class with Robyn. First would have been Calculus which is the shortest class with only 45 minutes, second being English, third being Advanced Band 4th year, fourth would be Advanced Physics, fifth would be Spanish, and, finally, sixth would be Global Studies. Spending that much time around Noah made Robyn want to throw him out of the third story window!

"Can we please talk? I want to know what you're thinking before we hit Band class."

"What is there to talk about and what do you want to know?" Robyn asked slowly, still drilling through the hallways.

"Am I that much of a nobody that no one wants to talk to me or be my friend. I know I'm good at Math and Science and play a trumpet but does that have to make me an outcast?"

Robyn stopped suddenly and Noah bumped into her side.

"You're right. That's not fair. No more fair than being hated for no apparent reason or being treated like a stranger because you speak quietly. What time?"

"What?"

"What time do you want me to come over tonight? I don't know if my parents would allow me to stay past dinner so that may only leave three hours."

"Well, we would feed you, Robyn! My mom would probably want you to come over directly after school until 7:00 p.m.

"Okay, I'll see you there. Yes, I do know where you live, Noah," Robyn said from a small smile.

She picked up her pace and entered the band room full of amazing sounds.

Noah's plan was really working.

Get her to my house. Find out what she likes and doesn't like. Make her one of the happiest girls in Irvine. Transform. Live happily ever after. Why did I ever think this would be difficult? Noah thought, taking his seat with the other trumpeters.

The rest of the day droned on without any interruptions. Once school let out for the day, Robyn organized her locker, got permission from her parents, and set off on foot towards Noah's northern home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll keep it...and shall describe her and Noah better in the next chapter. I'm trying to update this regularly.