Breaking the rules: Falling in love with the creature you hate

Chapter ONE

Dawn walked silently through the empty hallways of the ancient house. She would reach her target in exactly 30 seconds —she was taking one step per second— Her strategy was planned perfectly and as a professional assassin she knew that even the smallest of the changes could prove fatal for her. She also knew that in exactly 34 seconds —4 seconds more of her foreseen time— a guard would pass through that hallway. She only had 30 seconds to reach the door, 2 seconds to open it and 2 seconds to close it.

She reached the door, turned the doorknob and entered the room where her target was sleeping soundlessly not knowing that his time had come to an end. 4 seconds later she heard the footsteps of the guard. Her eyes, immediately adjusted to the dark, but she reminded in the shadows unmoving, waiting for the guard to pass by and for her eyes and brain to take in all the details of her surroundings. Everything seemed fine…she deduced it was safe to move. Taking out a needle she walked slowly towards the bed where her target was lying. With one swift movement she introduced the needle on a specific vein in his neck. In a fraction of second she provoked him a massive heart-attack killing him instantaneously. She removed the needle, placed it in a small box and hid it in one of the pockets of her pants. Then with one of her gloved hands she reached for his pulse… there was none. He was dead and everyone would think he died by a heart-attack, because there was not an inch of evidence that would suggest it was a murder. Mission accomplished.

* * *

Dawn returned home at 10:18 pm and she was surprised to find most of the lights of her house on. Normally all the lights would be off at 9:30pm. All her family were assassins; her older sister, her father and her mother. They were the Zephir family, a family of assassins known by their incredible skills. No one knew their real names or how to find them. They would find you if you need them. They worked for anybody that would offer them a reasonable amount of money. They didn’t ask questions they just did their job and then they would disappear from your life forever.

She knocked twice at the door then opened it. “I’m home!!” she announced

“We’re in the kitchen!” she heard her mom say. ‘We’re in the kitchen’ meant that there was another job to discuss.

“Hello” she entered the kitchen. Her mother was at the counter and her father was just closing the fridge. In the instant she entered they all headed to her father’s studio.

“Ok, what’s up?” she sat on a black sofa at the end of the studio. Her mom sat beside her.

“Dawn” her father began nervously. She eyed him with suspicion… he was never nervous. “There’s this family that asked for our services and uhm…” he didn’t know how to continue.

“Argh! For Pete’s sake Jacob! Tell her already!!” her mother said

“Ok, they asked us to send you to protect their son for 9 months and—”

“No” Dawn interrupted him

“But—”

“No, we wont, we’re not bodyguards dad! We’re assassins!!”

“This is a big step for us!” her mother said

“No”

“Dawn, they’re royalty and I already said yes” Jacob sighed

She looked at him like how could you, but then sighed, giving up. She knew she couldn’t win an argument against her father and they couldn’t take back their word.

“Anything else I should know?” she asked

“They’re not human”