The Beast

Ch17

Belle drags Vincent inside carrying nearly all of his weight. “Take me to my room.” He says with little energy. Belle nods and helps him into his room; she lays him out on his bed. “Here Vincent just rest, everything will be alright.” Belle stands as if she is about to leave, Vincent grabs her arm “Wait.” Belle turns back around “I need to tell you something.” Belle listens closely “Can you get that book over there for me.” Belle picks up the book; she realizes that it’s the book Vincent pulled to find himself a name. She hands it to Vincent. “I’ve been using what you taught me to read this book. Do you know what it is?” Belle shakes her head “It’s my diary.” Belle looks a little shocked “It took me this long to read it all, and I finally figured out who I am.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“I was a Beast long before I was ever turned into one.”

I have been a Beast for more than a hundred years; the rose has kept me alive as I watched the world around me turn. My diary consists of story of my role as a Cornel in the civil war. I didn’t care about the lives of my men I would gladly send them to be slaughter. I had a wife and kids, but I didn’t care about them. After sending off the old woman, I went back to my family but they were frightened of me and I didn’t know why. They ran screaming into the forest and I never saw them again. I tried going after them but when I arrived in town men tried to kill me and they were terrified of me. I only thought of running. When I stopped to get a drink I saw my reflection in a spring. I was scared of the image of the Beast, when I realized that the Beast was me anger filled my heart. I hated who I was; I broke every mirror in the castle so I could never look at myself again. I thought of only dying but I couldn’t. I spent years alone in solitude. I out lived all my friends and family I once had. The rose was my only sense of comfort, comfort that one day maybe I could change all this. I shadow spoke to me in my mind telling me to set after true love. But as the years grew on I forgot why I am what I am.

“None of that matters anymore, were together now.”

“I’m still a Beast Belle.”

“You are who you chose to be remember?” Vincent nods “You are Vincent when you chose to be him.”

“I always knew there was something special about you, ever sense I first laid eyes on you.” I tear fell down from his eye.

“What’s wrong Vincent?”

“I’m…dying.”

“But you can’t…” Belles’ eyes began to water.
Vincent holds Belle’s face and whips away a tear with his thumb “At least I got to see your face…one last time.” Belle holds on to his hand and closes her eyes. Vincent’s hand turns into a human hand, Belle can feel the fur disappear. She keeps her eyes closed as she lays his hand down. She turns around and opens her eyes as she leaves the room closing the door behind her, she never sees the human form of Vincent.