Love as Bitter as It Ever Was

Selflessness and Alternatives

Kailli’s POV

It’s been a week so far that I’ve been with the wolves.

It’s not so bad really, it could be better.

I don’t think Kale has told them about my alternative way of feeding but it’s better that they don’t know.

They’re still scared I’m going to kill them in their sleep.

There has been rumours circling that a fight has happened in my coven.

It’s said that there was a revolt but the treaty is still going ahead.

No one is certain what has happened since I am in the company of wolves and they’re the vampire’s mortal enemies.

One thing about the revolt is for certain thought; the coven shouldn’t be trusted anymore.

A treaty is to be set between the vampires and werewolves all because of my situation.

This could be seen as good but I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind said that it was bad news.

Kale was going to be the one to go and sign the treaty for the wolves.

Though it’s only been a week I have made a connection with Kale.

Mainly because I had to and thought it would be easier if I did, I kind of forced myself to make the connection.

Now it seemed easier to continue and further.

I also found if I stayed around the wolves they didn’t smell that bad anymore except if I went away from them, like when I feed.

I was now even sleeping in the same bed as Kale, he had gotten used to my nocturnal nature and slept in the day too.

As the time grew closer to sign the treaty I became more and more suspicious, to the point I even came up with another plan.

I didn’t think that Kale would like my plan so I went straight to his father, I hadn’t seen nor spoke to him before I went to him with my alternative plan.

“Your liege” I bowed as I was allowed through into his tent to him after waiting for a few minutes.

“What is it that you want Kailli?” he didn’t like me at all.

“I wanted to run an idea past you” I ignored his rage and dislike and addressed the matter I came here for.

“What?” he barked like a dog or wolf whichever you wanted to pick.

“I don’t think Kale should go and sign the treaty for you” I knew this wasn’t going to be the best way to start but I thought I’d get it over and done with.

“Oh really and who do you think should?” he was patronising me, “Me” I replied.

“I don’t think that’s going to happen” he practically dismissed my plan.

“With all due respect chief I think that it would be dangerous and unsafe to send Kale to sign the treaty with the recent news of the revolt.” I paused, he was listening to me.

“If you were to send me, with some of your own men as well, it would be safer as I am one of their own kind they will not attack me.”

“Why do you think that they will attack Kale, we’re making a peace treaty after all” he did not look persuaded of my plan.

“The revolt, there has been no real news on it and we’re probably not going to get it, we have no idea what has really happened. If there’s a new leader or not,”

I felt my throat tighten when I spoke of Emery’s demise.

“Go on” the leader spoke and nodded his head.

“If you were to send me I would negotiate with them or bring messages back to you of the negotiations. I don’t trust them,” I finished he looked at me confused.

“But they are your people”, “Yes and I know them all too well, we are not a honest kind. We are selfish and after person gain, we really shouldn’t be trusted.”

I was speaking against myself and my people but what did that matter now?

I wasn’t with my people and had promised my life away to stay with a wolf.

“But you are not” he looked… calm, secure, understanding, and I didn’t understand.

You are different to them.

You sacrificed your life for another’s,

You promised to spend your life with my son in return for the life of the other bloodsucker.

You are a gem between stones my girl and I can see a little why my son had taken a liking to you.


I did not think I was ‘a gem between stones’ but I could see his point.

It was very selfless decision one that no one would probably believe and probably thought I did it for my own reasons.

The wolves were the only ones who knew why I did it, my kind would not understand.

The wolves don’t really understand either but I haven’t explained it to them thought I’m sure if I did they would understand better.

“I will think about your plan and tell you when I have decided” he nodded his head as if for me to leave.

“One more thing,” I added “Can you not tell Kale, he wouldn’t want me to take his place” love had blinded him and made him very protective.

“I think that is a very good idea” and then I left feeling safer for Kale and then wondering why I had really made this plan…