Love as Bitter as It Ever Was

Deceiving Is Natural

Kailli’s POV

When I woke up Kale still wasn’t in our tent and I didn’t really care.

I was hungry so I thought I would go and hunt.

I got out of my tent and headed for the woods, as I was walking towards them there was a big snapping sound as if someone was in the woods.

I peered into where the sound had come from but I couldn’t see anything, there were just trees and bushes nothing more.

And yet I thought I saw something but I can’t be so sure, couldn’t be sure I saw those familiar eyes staring out at me, it was just in my imagination.

There was no one there when I checked and no trace of anyone, it was strange.

I went far away from the wolves’ camp and the treaty signing lands to hunt, at the last place we camped some of the wolves found the dead bodies of my prey and were suspicious.

When I got back I thought I should go and visit the leader since at dawn tomorrow the treaty negotiations and signing would begin.

He was of course asleep so I waited until dawn and then hid myself under blankets, which was very irritating.

His guards told me I was allowed in at just past dawn as the sun was climbing high up into the sky.

“Kailli” the leader greeted me happily, “Leader” I bowed a little and then stood in front of him instead of taking a seat.

“You are probably here for my decision are you not?” there was such a change between now and when I had first spoken to him.

“Yes” I replied, he wasn’t looking at me like dirt on his paw anymore, it was more like he actually liked me.

“My son came to me yesterday and told me that you had talked to him about it. He of course didn’t like the idea but said you had a point,” he paused I just stood exactly the same not showing any sign of emotion nor moving.

“Since both my son and I agree that you are right we are letting you go in place of him but with two of our strongest men at your side.” He was happy with his decision and he didn’t even think I would run away.

“Thank you” I must say I was actually surprised that he was letting me go, I was in two minds about what his decision would be.

“My pleasure, you are looking out for my son like you should be, you will make a great wife and daughter-in-law”

I was still as still as a statue when he said this, I had never even thought of marrying Kale, I promised to be with him until he died but not marry him!

I bowed and then exited under my blanket to go back to my tent. Kale was in there when I got back, sitting waiting on our bed.

I didn’t want to go near him at this point, I couldn’t stop thinking about what his father said. I did not want to be married, to him or to anyone for that matter. I don’t even think I would marry Donovan; it was such a human thing to do.

“You went to my father again” he still felt betrayed which might help with my current mood, “Yes” I nodded my head and threw the blanket to the corner.

“He told you what we decided?”, “Yes” he didn’t look very happy and he wasn’t. He knew I was right but he didn’t want to send me amongst the vampires.

“Jake and Dale will escort you to the signing tent and wait for you outside while you make the negotiations and sign it.” He wasn’t looking at me “You know the kind of negotiations we want and my father expects you to make them.”

I actually couldn’t believe they were leaving it all up to me, it did actually make me want to betray these soft hearted fools and go back to my kind and slaughter my ‘bodyguards’.

“The wolves best interests are now my interests” I replied but I couldn’t get the plans in my head to stop elaborating.

All I needed to do was make it seem like I was signing and my kind would go along with it, I’m sure they didn’t want this treaty we were the stronger species anyway.

We could just start an argument and then the bodyguards would come in to my ‘rescue’ and we could kill them easily and then leave without a trace. They wouldn’t even know until it was too late, it would start a war but that was better than a treaty, over me.

“I trust you” Kale whispered halting my plans, there was something about this wolf that made me sympathetic and I hardly was.

“You can trust me Kale I made a promise” I walked closer to him but not to close. “Will there ever be a day when the promise doesn’t matter anymore and you trust me because you just do?” he looked sad.

The promise, the promise, that’s all that mattered isn’t it.

She will never trust me, like me, even love me if it wasn’t for that stupid promise.

The promise made for that bloodsucker, made for his life.

I’m going to kill him if it’s the last thing I do and then she will have no one but me.

Maybe I can do it without her knowing and then she’ll stay with me and when I die she’ll have no one to go back to.

She loves him I know and I can’t stand it!

She should love me as I love her, it’s only right!


He was angry and he was making me angry.

He was right the promise was for Donovan’s life and now he was planning on killing him?

I always thought vampires were the betrayers but it seems werewolves could do it just fine themselves.

“Let’s go to bed” I said as normally as possible, as we lay down I thought of many reasons I should just kill him there in his bed but that would ruin all other plans I had.

I was still of two minds whether or not I should go through with them.

We shall see at dawn…