Love as Bitter as It Ever Was

13 Years Is A Long Time

13 Years Later:

It was not the Werewolves that declared Immortal War between our races that day.

It was me.

I breathed in a deep lungful of the evening air.

Such a long time ago it feels like that happened, and every time I look into the stars, she is there, watching me.

I never stopped blaming myself, but now as we as a species fight for her body back, I feel the world has righted itself.

I turned away from the fresh breeze that was coursing across my skin and walked back into my office.

Closing the balcony doors behind me.

It was time, once more, to offer the wolves a way out of this war.

One simple answer was all I needed, one simple request, was all I asked for.

And it could be over.

They are losing badly, their numbers decreased, their mutt’s dying.

They were not prepared for this battle like we are.

The werewolves are no match for our strength.

“Honey, it’s time to go.” My soon to be wife called, waiting by the doorway for me.

I stood to my feet and nodded, walking towards her.

I took her hand and for a second gazed into those shallow blue eyes.

Definitely no where near as beautiful as hers.

But, I could not be a King, without a Queen, and so I am forced to marry.

I sighed and walked outside, running effortlessly across the ground.

And as I ran.

I could practically hear the wolves trembling.

***

“That Mutt will pay!” My screams echoed around my office.

“I want his family found, I want his family friends found, I want every single person, creature, monster that he has ever spoken to, and I want them killed.” I snarled, to the small boy who was quickly scribbling down everything I was saying.

“And then I want that, Mutt brought here. And you use whatever techniques necessary, to find the location. Even if it involves harming his son.” The young boy blinked at my harsh tone, but nodded and ran from the room.

I screamed in frustration and wiped my arm across the desk, sending all my papers scattering to the floor.

How could he have lied like that?

Tried to trick us? Claiming he would finally give up her body.

My heart, My brain, had gone into overdrive as he said that.

And I was truly happy.

But then, just for fun it would seem, he crushed me once more.

Each year I go there, and each year he will not let me have her.

I leant against the book case, running aimlessly my hand along the shelf.

I closed my eyes and the day of her death flickered in motion behind my eye lids.

I was alone, he had gone.

I stumbled to my feet, practically falling out into the sun light, my chin hitting the dirt ground as pain ripped through me.

My flesh burning.

I grunted and screamed as I stood up and tried to walk away, the sunlight tearing into me.

That Mutt had taken Kailli.

He had taken what was rightfully mine.

She was a vampire and deserved a vampire funeral.

I stumbled into the shadows, leaning on a tree, gasping for breath as I heard my late back-up, running through the trees calling for me.

And as they found me, and began nursing my wounds, I pushed them off, stumbling once more into the open sun.

I ignored the searing pain that tore through my every being as I screamed my promise to the empty forest, knowing the wolf would hear me.

I stumbled back into the shadows, slumping down onto the ground as people fussed around me, speaking words at me, and trying to move me.

Every word they spoke sounded like a separate language.

Her haunting face, determined and yet resigned as I sliced at her throat, lingering behind in my mind.

But he had taken her, stolen her from me.

I looked around at the now blood filled common ground.

The broken tent, the broken people, and that pool of blood staining the spot forever.

It was then that I vowed that I would give the wolf a chance, just one, to return her body and save the deaths of our men.


I sighed in frustration and sat down heavily into my leather chair.

I leaned back, rubbing my hands threw my hair.

I caught my reflection in a one remaining glass, sat on top of my desk.

I looked old, worn down, and angry.

My youth and happiness died with her on that day.

Each year as I go back to that place, to see him my memories haunt me.

I picked up the glass, tossing it lightly in my hand before I growled in frustration and threw it.

It hit the door, and smashed into pieces, scattering across the wooden floors.

The door opened slowly and her young voice caught my attention.

“Honey, you are over worked. You must calm down, this war is doing you no good. We are to marry tomorrow. You should be happy.” She glided across the floor towards me, swiftly placing herself on my lap.

I took her hand in mine, examining the ring which classed her as mine.

I sighed and hung my head, before looking up into her shallow eyes.

If only I could love her like I loved Kailli.

If only our love could be that strong.

I didn’t want to marry her.

I wanted to be left to wallow in my own self-pity.

But instead, I would now end up destroying someone else’s life with my unhappiness.

I gently pushed her off my lap and stood up, “I must go and check on our Southern Borders. I will be back later, don’t wait up.”

I kissed her gently on her cheek.

Trying to ignore the comparison my brain made between her cheek and Kailli’s.

I ran out the door, and was gone, flying through the woods before she could say anything else.

Our borders were fairly secure, but I still checked them daily.

Just to ensure we were safe.

I stopped running as I neared them, and was greeted by their guards.

I nodded to them and walked inside, their little camp.

Greeting people on my way.

I saw the tent I was looking for, and made my way towards it, I opened the door and walked in.

“Donovan. You look old.” Spencer joked, as I walked in.

Over the past 13 years, he had become my right hand man, my most trusted, loyal man.

I shook his hand and sat down in front of him.

“How are we doing Spenc’?”

“Same. Our borders are strong, but are men are all sick and tired of fighting.”

I nodded, “We should give up this war Donovan..”

“You know just as well as I do, that, that isn’t going to happen, until I get her back.”

“She’s dead Donovan. Dead. She isn’t coming back. Sacrificing our men, our brothers, our children, for her dead body is not going to bring her back. Would you force your men to suffer the same loss as you, just to reclaim her body?” Spencer yelled.

“Yes.” Was my simple answer, as I turned and walked out of the tent.

“Then on your own head be it. You have a fiancé. You are due to marry tomorrow, and yet you still continue to lust after a dead woman! A woman who in her life, did nothing to help others, except to save the life of a mutt. The same woman who betrayed our kind, betrayed you for our enemies!” He screamed.

I put my hand to my hip, where my gun was secured.

“The woman, who never loved you!” He once more screamed.

And with unbridled rage, I turned, pulling my gun from it’s holster, spinning around, I shot one bullet.

It struck its target with ease, and I put my gun back in it’s place, and readjusted my coat and walked away, leaving the people around me to scream, cry and mourn the loss of yet another dear friend.

It was as I walked out of the now unguarded gates of their camp, that I saw a flicker of movement.

And as I once more pulled out my gun, pointing it into the forest, I caught a glimpse of fear filled, overly familiar eyes.

The very eyes that for the past 13 years, I have dreamt of each night.

“Kailli…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope You Like :)