Learning to Fall

Safe

(Martin’s POV)

I watched Alexandra drift off to sleep. I knew what time it was and that she was right in the fact I should be getting home. Sunrise was almost here but I suddenly didn’t care. I knew I would be stuck here with Alexandra until nightfall but I wanted to be all of a sudden. I wanted to get to know her better.

I watched as she rolled over facing me. She was out cold but she was smiling in her sleep. I wondered what she was dreaming. If only I could get into those thoughts of hers but I knew how that could happen and I wasn’t going there. I was not going to bite Alex even if it kills me.

I could hear her breathing pattern and how differently she breathes then when Alex is awake. When I closed my eyes, I focused my hearing on her heart. I could hear how it beat. I opened my eyes and shook my head. What was I doing; comparing notes?

Alexandra looked similar to Sara. She had several things about her that reminded me of Sara. I loved hearing Sara’s heartbeat and to watch her sleep when we were together what seem like now, forever ago. But Alex was not Sara.

After an hour, I got up slowly out of bed and went to close the blinds and curtains. I could feel the sun coming up. I wished so much I could see another sunrise. I glanced over at Alex again and then walked back over to the bed.

“I promise you will always have your sunrises.” I whispered as I kissed Alex’s forehead.

I climbed back into the bed and fell asleep lying on my back. I awoke not long after to feel a body dangerously close to mine. It was Alexandra. She had her head resting against my arm and her body pushed up against mine. I moved so slightly and she stirred moving to place her head on my chest and draping one leg over mine. She stayed asleep but didn’t miss a beat. Then she mumbled, “Safe.” I then drifted back to sleep with a smile on my face.