Learning to Fall

Coffee Anyone?

Chapter 14
I awoke to the aroma of coffee being made. I looked over to my left to see an empty spot where Martin had been previously. He didn’t leave me. I stretched and got up grabbing a robe off of a chair I kept in my room. I put on the robe and proceeded to the bathroom where I checked my hair. I was not going downstairs to see Martin with my hair all a mess.

I left the bathroom and walked downstairs. “Morning.” Martin replied as he fixed me a cup of fresh coffee. “I don’t know how you take your coffee so I thought you could do that yourself.” He added.

“I take just sugar.” I said opening up a cabinet for the sugar pourer. “Thanks.” I said as I took the sugar and sat down at the kitchen table.

“So you decided to stay after all.” I said as he slid my coffee across the table to me.

“Yes, I told you I would protect you for the night.” Martin replied as I shook my head.

“I guess now you are stuck with me all day.” I said as I fixed my coffee.

“I guess so.” He grinned.

“Won’t the guys be worried and thanks for doing this but you didn’t have to.” I said blowing on my coffee before taking a sip.

“You are welcome and I wanted to. I called the guys before you woke up.” He said.

“I’m sorry you have to see me like this.” I sighed. Martin laughed.

“What?” I asked.

“I think you look cute when you wake in the morning. Although, I was hoping for the normal bed head but I see you had to go and fix that.” He laughed again. I just blushed a bit.

“This feels sort of awkward. I just can’t believe how much my life has changed drastically in a very short time. I mean my boyfriend is dead and now a blood thirsty vampire after me, I crash due to vampires and you save my life and here you are again playing hero protecting me from nightmares. Part of me wants to grieve over Jeff. The other half knows I have to move on. Crap! I can’t call his parents. What do I say?” I started to panic.

“Relax. I will do it.” Martin replied catching me off guard.”

“But you didn’t know him or his parents. How are you going to do that?” I asked.

“Very carefully.” He said. “I have ways.” Martin added.

“What ways?” I asked confused.

“I am going to calm them and persuade them. I can do that you know.” Martin replied.

“Oh, right. I forget you vampires have abilities.” I sighed before taking another sip of coffee.
I then proceeded to get up out of my chair and grab my cell phone. I dialed the number and handed Martin the phone. I listened to everything Martin had said to Jeff’s parents. Heck, I would have believed Martin had I not known who Martin was. He had them knowing that their son was dead but everything was going to be ok. It was kind of weird.

“There. They know that Jeff is dead but I calmed them in a sense to where they won’t ask questions. I warned them to stay inside at night too. They are upset naturally but they will be at peace soon.” Martin explained to me once he hung up the phone. I just nodded my head thinking how weird this whole situation is.

“So now that you are stuck with me I have some questions I would like answered.” I replied wondering what Martin was like before I met him.

“Um, ok.” He shrugged.

“What was your life like before you were turned? Did you have a girlfriend? How long have you known your friends?” I asked hoping Martin wouldn’t be too mad at me and why did I just blurt out the girlfriend question? Martin chuckled finding my questions amusing.

“You don’t like to start off small do you?” He laughed.

“Sorry.” I said.

“I had a job and I have known my friends for a long time. I had a girlfriend once.” Martin said glumly. “She died.”

“Oh. I’m sorry to hear that.” I said feeling stupid now.

“It’s ok, really.” He said brushing it off. I wanted to ask if it was vampires but I didn’t want to press my luck.

“So you mentioned last night after your nightmare that you had other nightmares that started after your accident.” Martin said changing the subject.

“Yeah they were…” I started and then my phone went off. Thank goodness because I wasn’t sure how to explain them to Martin without him really thinking I was crazy.

“Saved by the bell.” I mumbled as I got up to answer the phone.

“Hello?” I asked as I picked it up.

“Alexandra, I am sorry to bother you. I know you are still on your vacation but I need your help on this marketing assignment I have and you are the only one I can turn to who is good at her job.” Nonnie laughed.

“Nonnie, I would but…I can’t help you.” I said heading into the living room with the cordless phone.

“What? Girl, I know you are still worried about Jeff...” Nonnie replied.

“Jeff is dead.” I said.

“What? When?” Nonnie asked shocked.

“I had to id the body last night. The police found him beaten and thrown in an alley. There won’t be a funeral. He wanted to be cremated if something ever happened to him.” I lied.

“Alexandra I am so sorry. I am sorry I bothered you. You must be really torn up about it.” Nonnie replied.

“I am, but actually I think a little work might do me some good.” I said thinking about both Jeff and Martin. I am stuck with Martin all day today and as much as I want to learn more about him, I still had Jeff in the back of my mind and I felt like I was betraying him or something even though my Jeff was gone. Martin made me feel something towards him and I wasn’t sure I was ready for that yet.

“Are you crazy? I will just ask Marcia for her opinion and help.” Nonnie trailed on.

“No. I will come in and help. Give me an hour and a half tops.” I said hanging up the phone.

“What was that all about?” Martin asked.

“I have to go into work for a few hours. My friend and co-worker Nonnie needs help on a project. Will you be fine here?” I asked.

“Yeah, I guess but are you sure you want to work?” Martin asked.

“Yes. It will help take my mind off things.” I said about to head upstairs to shower and change.

“Promise me something.” Martin replied grabbing my arm.

“Yes?” I asked confused and staring straight into Martin’s beautiful eyes.

“Promise me you will be home before dark.” Martin looked worried.

“I promise.” I said flying up the stairs and into my room.