Learning to Fall

Welcome Back

I hurried, got ready and left for work. Martin was just sitting on my couch watching tv and complaining about how there are so many stations but nothing on when I walked out the door. He also made it a point to yell at me to be home before dark before I managed to shut my door. I understood all of this, believe me.

As soon as stepped foot onto the third floor of the building I work at, all my coworkers decided to flood me with greetings and apologies for my loss of Jeff. Nonnie had to pry her way through and grab my arm to make sure we made it to her office before I was overwhelmed or trampled. It was a little late for that.

“I only told one person you were coming, I swear!” Nonnie replied apologetically as she pulled me over a chair towards her desk.

“Marcia.” I laughed.

“Everyone knows you are still out on vacation but they are happy to see you and sorry for…” Nonnie trailed off.

“I know.” I sighed. “Their hearts are in the right place. You know though, sometimes I feel like this place can’t run without me here.” We both laughed.

“Alexandra Lyvers!” I jumped as our boss Mr. Davis stormed into Nonnie’s office. He was a bald man in his forties. He was tall, but scary. You didn’t want to mess with him.

“Um, Mr. Davis, I just called Alex…” Nonnie stopped.

“I’m so glad to see you but you really need to go back home. I will even throw in another week paid vacation.” Mr. Davis smiled which was scary. He never smiles unless he fires someone.

“Nonnie you shouldn’t have bothered Alex in her current situation.” Mr. Davis snapped.

“Um, I’m sorry sir.” She replied sitting down at her desk.

“You better be.” He griped.

“Mr. Davis, I wanted to help Nonnie out. We won’t be long. I just had to get out of the house.” I said looking down.

“Oh, it’s ok dear. I understand. Just remember not to come into work on Monday. Any project you had I will give to Nonnie.” He replied giving her a stern look before he walked out, shutting her office door behind him.

“I’m sorry.” I half laughed.

“No. It’s ok. I think he hates me for whatever reason.” Nonnie replied.

“I don’t think he hates you. I think it is because he knows you are the best at what you do. I think he just does that because he doesn’t know how to be nice. If he can’t bark orders at something, I think he loses his mind.” We laughed.

Marcia was our secretary who always took our calls and such. We could hear Mr. Davis barking orders at her and everyone else out into the hallway who lingered near Nonnie’s office. “What’s everyone standing around for? Get back to work! Move it!” He grumbled which had us laughing even more.

“Well, welcome back even it’s for a day to help me.” Nonnie smiled.
We managed to lose track of time. Everyone had left the office except for the janitors, Nonnie, and me. It was now way after seven pm.

“Crap!” I said after we finished up and looked at our watches.

“What?” Nonnie asked.

“I was supposed to be home before dark and my cell phone is out in my car.” I replied.

“So?” Nonnie replied. “It’s not like we haven’t worked late before.”

“So? Martin is going to flip!” I said without thinking.

“Martin? Who is this Martin?” She asked.

"Just a friend.” I said as we stepped onto the elevators.

It was quiet as between us until after we stepped out of the office building. Our cars were across the street from the building in a parking lot. There were no garages in this area, just lots.

“So you aren’t going to tell me who this Martin guy is are you?” She said as I glanced down the sidewalk to my right.

“I told you.” I said getting an uneasy feeling.

“Yeah, just friends. Where did you meet?” Nonnie pressed.

“Nonnie, I want you to run and do it now!” I said as I saw some figures to my right and then as I turned to my left come out of the shadows.

“What?” She asked confused.

“Do it!” I said pushing her out in the street.

“I don’t…” She said turning to face me but saw the figures.
We both took off running across the street. Nonnie dropped her keys. “Alex!” She stopped.

“Take mine lock the doors, and go!” I said tossing her my keys.

“What about you?” She said.

“I will get yours and drive it to your place. I’m fast!” I said sprinting back to the middle of the street where Nonnie had dropped her keys.

I grabbed her keys and thought I had time. I was wrong and was ambushed. There were five vampires total dressed in all black this time. Two of them wore black hoodies where I couldn’t see their faces well in the dark.

“Hello love. Did you miss me?” A familiar voice said as I was surrounded.

“Jeff.” I stuttered.