Learning to Fall

Complication

If my heart could beat I know it would be racing as Paul raced to the middle of the street where we saw Alexandra and some vampires. I hopped out of the van before the others with weapons in tow. I just hoped I wasn’t too late but something told me otherwise.

“Sara?” I asked confused as she turned around.

“Get them!” She yelled as my boys and I started fighting off the three vampires that surrounded Alex, Jeff, Sara, and Alex’s friend.

“Go!” Paul shouted at me. “We got this!” He said as he began fighting off the vampire I was trying to kill.

“Hello, lover.” Sara said as I ran over to where Alex was. She was lying on the ground and Jeff was standing over her snarling at me as Alex’s friend was trying to fight Jeff.

“This can’t be. You’re….” I trailed.

“Surprise, surprise.” She laughed. “I thought you would be happy to see me again.” She smiled as she stepped closer to me to run her hand along my face but I grabbed it. I started to pull her closer as I dropped a stake into one hand from the sleeve of my jacket.

“Naughty, naughty. Jeff! Next time, Martin!” She said quickly pulling away from me before I could stake her. Then she and Jeff took off leaving Alex on the ground unconscious.

“Alex! Alex, wake up!” Her friend replied.

“What happened?” I asked as my friends started to crowd around.

“Stay away from her. I saw your teeth! You are one of them!” She screamed at me.

“Easy there. You must be Nonnie.” I said in a calming voice hoping that was her name as I tried to remember what Alex had told me early this morning.

“How did you know my name?” She asked.

“I’m Martin and these are my friends Paul, Bryan, and John. We are here to help.” I said using my persuasion on her.

“May I?” Bryan asked getting closer to Alex for me to check her out. Nonnie nodded her head and looked me in the eyes like I wanted and then walked over to me slowly.

“You said you were Martin? Alex told me she had a friend named Martin.” Nonnie replied.

“I want you to listen to me ok?” I replied. Nonnie nodded her head.

“Paul here is going to take you home. You won’t remember any of this. Alex is fine and you two made it home safe and sound from work. You will not be out late after dark again and when Paul snaps his fingers this will all be erased and you will do what I just said. Is that clear?” I asked her.

“Yes.” She got out.

“Martin, I think Alex is going to be ok. She is going to have one nasty headache when she wakes up though.” Bryan replied.

“C’mon let’s get you home.” Paul said as Nonnie picked up some keys that were lying beside Alex and then walked across the street over to her car with Paul.

“What are we going to do about Alex’s car?” Bryan asked.

“John can drive me and Alex back to our place and you can follow Paul and Nonnie to pick up Paul then meet us back at our place with Alex's car.” I said.

“Whoa you are bringing a girl over to our place? John asked as I carefully picked up Alex and saw her nasty gash on her forehead. Luckily it wasn’t deep enough for stitches but it certainly bled a lot.

“That’s what I said.” I said thinking about why Alex didn’t heed my advice and not come home early.

“Was that really Sara?” Bryan asked. I was quiet. “Being together you can tell that Sara and Alex have differences in their appearances but the similarities are just uncanny.” He added.

I thought Sara was dead. I saw it with my own eyes. How could Sara be back and what does she want with Alexandra? Why am I so conflicted about what I should do next?