Learning to Fall

Stood Up And Tired Of Waiting For You

Alexandra got in her car and took off into the night. She lived in the hills. Everyone thought she was rich for her age, owning a mansion and all, but she really felt out of place. This wasn’t her world. She couldn’t help it that her parents died when she was barely eighteen in a car crash. They left her the house and plenty of cash to last her a lifetime.

It has been five years now since their deaths, and she had found herself a man who adored her. It was their anniversary and she was hoping that his thing he had to pick up tonight was a ring. Even though she wanted it to be true, she still wondered why he stood her up as she drove home.

Alexandra had made it through college and met Jeff, her boyfriend when she was starting her senior year of college. He grounded her, supported her, and was her everything. He wasn’t rich, like all the other guys she had known.

Jeff worked hard to make it through graduate school to become a lawyer. He had many jobs here and there to help him pay for college. She liked that about him. Plus, Jeff was four years older then her.

Thinking about Jeff distracted Alexandra’s mind. She only took her eyes off the road for a second and didn’t see a man start to walk out across the road. When she looked back, she swerved the car at the last second just missing him.

Alexandra missed the man, but lost control of the car and hit a tree, blacking out for a moment. When she came to, her head aching from a head gash, and her sight was blurry. Nothing felt broken but her legs were pinned as she struggled to get out. Alexandra then looked up to see five guys dressed in black and one she thought was the guy she had almost killed.

“I smell fresh blood.” One guy said.

“She is alive.” Another said.

“Can you guys get me out of here?” Alexandra asked frightened.

“Oh, we can do that and so much more.” The man she almost hit said bearing what looked like fangs as the other guys started smashing her windows and hopping on top of the car.
Alexandra screamed, and struggled to move but her legs were pinned under the dash. One vampire smashed through her driver side window causing a chunk of glass to slice her left arm. Then, the dizziness started to occur from her head wound as she was trying to not let the men hurt her.

Alexandra started to faint over the steering wheel. She thought she heard another guy’s voice and some fighting as she rested her head on the wheel. Alexandra knew she had been careless and now she could die.

Alexandra slipped in and out of consciousness. When she came to again, she felt someone removing her legs that were pinned and carry her out of the rubble. She was happy to be out of the car but still afraid to open her eyes at who rescued her.

“She is a lucky one.” Another voice said.

“She looks like she may have a concussion. Do you think they caused the accident?” Another male voice replied.

“I don’t doubt it.” The warm, familiar voice Alex heard when the fighting occurred replied.

“Who is she? Why is she out here?” One of the guys replied.

“I don’t know.” The warm voice replied as Alexandra realized he was the one holding her in his arms.

Alexandra opened her eyes just long enough to stare into the eyes of her rescuer. “My name is…Alex…Alexandra.” She said before slipping back unconscious.