Learning to Fall

Unlikely Bonding

(Paul’s POV)
I helped Nonnie into the passenger side of her car, then hopped into the driver’s side. As I pulled out onto the street, I watched as Nonnie put her right hand up on the window and looked over at where Martin had picked Amanda up. She sighed and I knew that this was going to be an awkward trip in making sure Nonnie arrived to her home safe and sound.

“So where do you live?” I asked breaking the silence. I hoped that Martin’s persuasion thing was going to work tonight and that Nonnie would forget everything she just witnessed tonight.

“421 Marple Ln.” Nonnie replied still looking out the window.
The poor girl was still in shock. Heck, I would be too if I was in her shoes. The more I looked over at her to make sure that Nonnie was ok, the more I saw how beautiful she looked. Whoa, down boy. Don’t want to go there. Relationships and vampires don’t seem to mix very well lately. The last girlfriend I had thought we were all crazy.

“Those were vampires?” Nonnie said looking at me and finally speaking.

“Yeah. You were lucky.” I said.

“I won’t remember any of this after tonight, will I?” Nonnie replied remembering what Martin had told her, I hoped.

“No.” I said.

“Alexandra is going to be alright? Your friend Martin will take care of her?” She asked.

“Martin will keep her safe.” I replied trying to reassure her.

“He is a vampire but he is different. I think he is good for Alex.” Nonnie said.

“Really? This is coming from someone who wanted to attack him when she first saw him?” I laughed.

“Well, he had pointy fangs. I thought he wanted to hurt Alex. I mean, if Alex is hanging around him or knows him, then he can’t be bad. And I have deduced that since you and your other buddies are his friends then Martin can be trusted.” She smiled as the started thinking about things.

“You know, you have this cute look on your face when you start to ramble and think about things.” I said as I looked at Nonnie while at a red light. Ooh, bad Paul. Thinking out loud is not a good thing.

“You’re sweet but you know I won’t remember you in the morning.” Nonnie laughed; her mood appearing to brighten.

“Damn it! Why does Martin have to do this to me?” I said out loud again. Stupid, Paul.

Nonnie giggled. “Why Paul, I think you are trying to hit on me. I know you aren’t trying to hit on a girl who won’t remember this in the morning.” Nonnie smirked.

I sighed. “I uh, wasn’t trying to hit on you. I just…” I said suddenly feeling a loss of words.

“I like your lip ring.” Nonnie replied changing the subject. “We’re even.” She grinned.

I finally made it to Nonnie’s place and turned into her driveway. Somehow we sat in the car and struck up a conversation about music, movies, and other things in common we had along with more vampire talk. After sitting in the driveway for over an hour, Bryan honked his horn at me from Alex’s car. I guess he got impatient waiting for me to drop Nonnie off.

“Well, I guess that is my cue to head inside.” Nonnie replied getting out of her car.

“Nonnie, wait.” I said following her up to her front porch.

“You should probably just snap your finger and get it over.” Nonnie said getting her key out and opening up her front door.

“Nonnie, I want you to know that you are a smart, beautiful, and funny girl. Don’t ever forget that someone told you that.” I smiled hoping that Nonnie would remember at least this part.
Like an impulse reaction Nonnie reached over, grabbed me, and pulled me into a kiss. “What’s one kiss going to hurt if I am not going to remember it later?” She asked as she pulled away after the kiss. She might not remember it but I will.

Nonnie smiled at me and walked over and stood in the doorway. I held my right hand up and sighed. “Too bad we will never meet again.” Nonnie said. I snapped my fingers and watched as Nonnie stood in a daze for a second as I got into Alex’s car.

I watched Nonnie shake her head a second like she was confused and then turn and walk into her house, closing the door behind her. It’s too bad indeed, that we may never meet again. I think Nonnie could have handled there being vampires around.

“I think someone has feelings for a rescue victim.” Bryan laughed as he pulled out of Nonnie’s driveway.

“Shut up!” I said as we made our way home.

When I arrived home it was quiet. I went into the kitchen to make me a glass of milk before I headed to bed. That’s when the chaos started to emerge.

I had just walked to the living room to watch a little tv when Martin burst in the room. “Hey man, where are you going?” I asked as Martin headed to the front door.

“Out. Can you take care of her?” Martin asked referring to Alex.

“Sure.” I said confused as Martin slammed the door behind me. What was that all about?

I heard what sounded like glass shatter come from Martin’s room. I took off towards his room to find glass on the floor. I looked up to see a distraught Alex with blood on her hands.