Learning to Fall

Sara

(Paul’s POV)
“Well you pretty much know how Sara died after dreaming her memories.” I said to Alex as we walked to the kitchen.

“Ok, I might know that but tell me how Martin died exactly. I knew that the vampire who had ambushed Sara and Martin lied and manipulated Sara into thinking that he would let Martin go. Sara giving up and letting her be turned is as far as I got.” Alex replied.

“I can only tell you what he has told us guys. Martin broke free and went after that vampire who took Sara but was stopped. That leader vampire turned him against his will. Martin came to and refused to join that vampire’s clique.

Back here at home though, we were getting worried because Martin had been missing for several days along with Sara. No one had seen or heard from them after their dinner party we had for them to celebrate their engagement.

After looking unsuccessfully everywhere we could think they may have gone, we were ambushed one night and Martin came to our rescue looking banged up. He didn’t want us near him after he killed the four vampires that tried to attack us. Martin even tried to use that persuasion power of his against us to stay away from him but we weren’t budging. He saved us and I, Bryan, and John all agreed that he needed us. We weren’t going to give up on our friend. I mean we are like brothers. That is when he told us his story.” I said fixing Alex a glass of water.

“There is something else though you aren’t telling me and I want to know what it is. There is just more to the story and Sara.” Alex pressed as I sighed.

“I think Martin has a hard time seeing you. Don’t take that the wrong way because I like you and I don’t want to lose my chances with Nonnie.” I half smiled.

“I get that it is because I look like Sara.” She sighed.

“It’s more then that.” I replied.

“How so?” Alex asked.

“Whenever Martin has been around you, he gets quiet when he comes home but I can tell that you make him happy. I think Martin likes you a lot. I think you are good for Martin. It’s just that you also happen to remind him of Sara and that hurts him a lot.” I said knowing that this is one big, complicated mess.

“But I’m not her. He should know that from my personality and plus I am not a blood sucking fiend from beyond the grave. I would never give up and let myself be turned into a vampire. I would fight for everything that I loved.” Alex replied.

“Are you saying that you are having some feelings for Martin?” I asked intrigued.

“No.” She said pushing her water glass away from her. “I shouldn’t. I just lost Jeff.” Alex trailed. “But I do. He makes me feel all tingly inside. It’s like I have to see him. There. I said it. Are you happy now? But he doesn’t like me or else he wouldn’t have run out on me tonight.” She sighed.

“Martin is just conflicted. The reason is that Martin thought that Sara was dead. When he first saw you that night of your accident, it left him wondering…” I didn’t get to finish.

“If I was somehow Sara alive?” Alex finished.

“Yeah but he knew you weren’t Sara. You see he killed Sara four months ago.” I said.

“What? How?” She asked.

“Sara had been killing a string of people and not covering her tracks. She was doing it to get Martin’s attention. She knew that Martin roamed the streets at night killing vampires like them but her plan was to lure Martin back to her. She thought Martin would magically come back to her. Martin had thought that Sara had been killed by the vampire who turned them both because that was what that vampire had told him right before Martin had died.

You see it was a shock to him to learn his fiancé was alive as a vampire, but one who craved blood. Martin knew that he couldn’t save her. Sara had trapped a family in a home. She had been watching them and even managed to befriend the oldest daughter in the group. The girl was only seventeen and she invited Sara into her home. Sara had laid out a trap by calling her goons and Martin took the bait.

Martin couldn’t save all of the girl’s family. Sara had killed the father and mother but the girl and her siblings got out thanks to our help. Martin set the house on fire and trapped Sara inside after battling her. He was pretty banged up and of course heartbroken as he had to fight off his love.

From that point on Martin rarely spoke about Sara. It was too painful for him. Then you come along and everything changes. You need to make Martin realize and see as we all do that you are not Sara.” I said.

“I don’t even think he will talk to me anymore.” She sighed.

“He’ll come around.” I laughed. “So you want to watch a movie with me?” I asked as she sat down on the living room couch.

“Sure but I have to warn you, I am sleepy.” She said yawning.

I popped in some scary movie and made some popcorn. Alex and I talked for awhile and then she fell asleep on my shoulder. I didn’t want to move Alex because I didn’t want to wake her so I pulled the blanket off the top of the couch and covered her up with it. I, myself was getting a neck and leg cramp from not being able to move but I managed to fall asleep. I awoke to an angry Martin staring down at me.

“What the hell is she still doing here?” Martin asked as I looked over sleepily to see Alex laying on the other end of the couch in the fetal position.

“We got to talking. What’s your problem and what time is it?” I yawned as I looked at my watch.

“Dude you cut it pretty close it’s almost six a.m.” I replied.

“She needs to go home.” Martin said. “Alex had better not be here when I awake from my nap.” Martin replied leaving me speechless.

“Martin, Sara is going to be the death of you.” I sighed and speaking where he couldn’t hear me. “But Alex might be able to help you let go.” I said shaking my head as I looked over at Alex, still asleep.