Learning to Fall

A Picture Says It All

I awoke from a bad nightmare. I sat up and noticed I was on a couch. Then I remembered what happened last night. I caught a whiff of bacon and followed the smell to the kitchen.

“Morning.” Paul replied as I saw pancakes on a plate and bacon frying in a pan.

“Morning?” I replied still sleepy.

“Help yourself. I made breakfast for you and the other guys. They should be getting up here soon for their jobs. I have to say though, after you eat, you got to go.” Paul said glumly.
I fixed me a plate and sat down at the kitchen table. “Milk or OJ?” Paul asked.

“OJ.” I replied. “So that’s it huh. You feed me and then send me on my way?” I asked.

“Martin’s orders. He didn’t want you here. If it was up to me, I would want you to stay. I mean you’re cool and all. Martin is just being an ass right now. Don’t take it personally. Your car is out front by the way.” Paul said as he took a break from breakfast.

“Thank you Paul.” I smiled. “Nonnie will be happy to know that you can make breakfast.” I laughed.

“I didn’t make it to suck up.” He grinned.

“I know.” I replied.

“Oh, hey, while you were sleeping I took it upon myself to program my number into your cell phone.” Paul slid in.

“Oh you did, did you?” I laughed.

“Yeah, because you know you can always call me anytime.” Paul replied.

“Good to know.” I smiled.

Bryan and John came into the kitchen and I thanked them both for helping to save me and Nonnie last night. I briefly talked to them and then made my way home so that I wouldn’t have to face Martin. I now knew his story but it didn’t make it much easier on me. I might not have known Martin for very long but I knew I had fallen for him fast. It doesn’t make you feel good to know the one you want has feelings for a dead look alike with fangs. I am not Sara and I just wish he would realize that before Martin loses me. I won’t be that girl he used to love ever.

Nonnie called me telling me about how she had this bad dream that we both had been attacked by vampires. I just laughed at her. I know Martin used his mind control thing on her to forget but it was still funny how she went on in detail about this so called “dream” of hers. Nonnie and I were both lucky. Then as I was about to tell her I had some errands to run she told me that she dreamed of a really cute boy with a lip ring.

“You did? Just how hot was he?” I laughed.

“Why are you laughing? Am I not allowed to have a dream with a dark headed, good looking guy? Oh and yeah the lip ring was a plus. Plus he saved me from the vampires which made my dream go from bad to good. I don’t know who saved you in my dream. I don’t remember his face but I think you really liked him and he liked you.” Nonnie continued.

“Well, I am glad you had a dream where you were the damsel in distress who was rescued by a cute guy.” I said changing the subject. I decided I wanted to be Martin free for awhile. I wanted him to miss me and apologize for his actions.

“You want to know the scary part?” Nonnie said snapping me out of my thoughts.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“He had a name. It was Paul.” She said as I got quiet. That’s when I knew.

“What?” She asked.

“You are off tomorrow, right?” I asked.

“Yeah but if you are planning something for evening, I am not going. Something just tells me not to be out when it gets dark.” Nonnie said. I am sure Martin drilled that into her brain.

“No, I was thinking about lunch. I want you to meet a friend of mine.” I said.

“Who? I thought I was your only best friend.” I could hear Nonnie pout.

“Just wear something nice but casual; nothing fancy.” I smiled.

“What are you thinking?” Nonnie asked curious and worried.

“Nothing. I will pick you up around one.” I replied.

“Fine.” She said. “Crap gotta go. You know how our boss is.” Nonnie said before hanging up.

I had an idea and it was a good one. I would bring Paul along for our lunch gathering. If she dreamed this up last night or just happened to remember what happened last night and thought it was a dream, then I know Nonnie can handle the truth and I know that will be her and Paul’s way of connecting.

I searched for Paul’s number and called him. I could hear that Martin was finally up as he was yelling at Paul on who would be calling him as I tried to say hello. Once Paul was able to get away from Martin and talk alone, I told him about Nonnie and me going out to lunch. He was more then thrilled with my plan to see her. So I told him what time and the place to meet us and hung up the phone.

I walked upstairs and was about to go in my room to watch a movie when I got the urge to go into my parents’ old bedroom. I didn’t know why but I just felt compelled to do so. I opened up their closet remembering our old family photo albums were kept in there just as they were before my parents died. I grabbed a few off the top shelf when one album fell onto the floor. I reached down to pick it up when a picture slipped out. I grabbed the picture and looked at it.

My mouth fell open. In the picture was myself when I was about four years old and another girl who looked just like me. There was only girl I knew who looked like me. I flipped the picture over because my mom used to write who was in the picture and how old they were on the back. It said next to my name, Sara Anderson, age four.