Learning to Fall

When Dreams Become Reality

“You never told me where we are going?” Nonnie asked as I had just picked her up from her house.

“I thought we could hit Bravos.” I replied.

“Italian? No wonder you wanted me to dress up. Wait, you have something up your sleeve don’t you. You can’t lie to me Alexandra.” She said making me cringe. I hated being called Alexandra. It was like nails on a chalkboard whenever someone spoke it.

“No. Why would I have something up my sleeve when obviously you are the one paranoid about something?” I laughed.

“Come on Alex. I can see it on your face. You can’t hide things from me.” Nonnie pressed.

“Yeah, ok.” I rolled my eyes.

We pulled into the restaurant and I saw that Paul’s car was already here. I smiled. This made Nonnie even more uneasy. It was funny to me because soon she would be seeing the man of her “dreams”.

“Ah, you two must be here for the gentleman in the back.” The greeter smiled as he grabbed two menus and led us to where Paul was sitting.

“Gentleman? Alex what is going on?” Nonnie asked before stopping dead in her tracks.
I watched as Paul got up from his seat which was always a polite thing to do. Nonnie’s mouth dropped wide open. “You.” She barely got out as we were seated.

“You know, if you hold your mouth open any longer you might start to drool.” I whispered to Nonnie.

“Shut up!” She replied as I laughed.

“Hello. Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Paul.” Paul replied.

“I know who you are. You were in my dreams the other night.” Nonnie blushed as Paul looked at me.

“Cool. I was in your dreams?” Paul teased. “I thought it was because maybe you remembered me from the other night. You know I did help to save your life.” He grinned.

“I’m confused. Alex what is he talking about?” Nonnie asked.

“Nonnie it wasn’t a dream that you had the other night. We were actually attacked by vampires. They are real.” I replied.

“No. That can’t be. Vampires, ha!” She laughed.

Then Paul started to tell her everything that happened, from us getting attacked to him driving her home and making sure she was safe. Nonnie just stared into space, unsure how to process all the information. Then she spoke.

“So this Martin friend I you told me about was the one who told me not to go out at night?” Nonnie asked finally breaking the silence.

“Yeah.” I said uneasy at hearing Martin’s name. Paul just looked at me.

“I need to talk to you later about Martin.” I whispered hoping Nonnie wouldn’t pick it up. Paul looked concerned but just nodded his head.

“I can’t believe you had me thinking that it was all a dream. That means I made a fool…” Nonnie stopped.

“You aren’t a fool. You were scared. You liked my lip ring.” Paul grinned as Nonnie blushed.

“Um, I have to um, head to the ladies room. Alex, do you need to go?” She motioned. When I didn't answer she kicked my leg. I gave her the most dirtiest look as I got up and followed her to the bathroom.

“What the hell is this?” Nonnie asked. “Why didn’t you tell me the truth? She pressed.

“Would you have believed me?” I asked. There was silence. “Ok then.” I said.

“I don’t know what to say. I mean I kissed him. I made an ass of myself thinking I would never see him again and let me say he is a very good kisser!” Nonnie trailed.

“That’s the spirit. You already have things in common. Where is the Nonnie who always gets her man?” I laughed.

“She vanished.” Nonnie half smiled. “You go back alone. I need to think for a minute.” Nonnie replied.

“Are you sure? Our food will arrive soon.” I said.

“Yeah, I need to process this all. I will be right back.” Nonnie said as I left the bathroom and walked back to our table.

“Is everything alright?” Paul asked.

“It’s fine.” I replied. “Nonnie just needs a minute to process this all. She’ll come around.” I said.

“Are you ok with her knowing?” Paul asked.

“Yeah, at least I now have someone to talk to about everything beside you and Martin.” I replied.

“Hey. I resent that.” He laughed.

“Sorry but you know what I mean, right?” I asked.

“I do. Nonnie is your best friend and best friends shouldn’t keep secrets.” Paul smiled. “Speaking of Martin, you wanted to talk to me.” Paul said. It was so easy to talk to him.

“Martin took something of mine and I want it back.” I said.

“How could he have done that?” Paul asked puzzled.

“Martin came to my house and broke in somehow. He watched me sleep.” I said angry.

“He did what?!” Paul replied nearly spitting out his drink.

“I woke up this early this morning to the feeling that someone was there in my room. I looked around and Martin was gone but he was there. I know he was. Don’t ask me how I found it but I found a picture of me and Sara together when we were four and I fell asleep researching her on my bed. When I awoke it was gone. I want it back Paul.” I said.

“This is dangerous. This isn’t like Martin.” Paul replied. “Is there anywhere else you can stay until I talk to him about this?” Paul asked concerned.

“I’m not leaving my home over some vampire. It is bad enough I have to hide from my ex boyfriend who wants my blood remember?” I sighed.

How do you know that was Sara in the picture?” Paul asked and I finally told him how I found the picture.

“So this man who you think is her dad looks exactly like your mom but your mom never mentioned about having a twin or a brother?” Paul asked.

“Yeah. Something has happened to this family and I want to know why it was covered up. Why would I not remember Sara at all?” I asked.

“Maybe it is because you were so young and then whatever it was happened so you blocked it out of your memory.” Paul replied.

“I don’t know but I am going to find out. Paul, don’t tell Nonnie any of this. It is one thing for her to accept vampires and such but to hear her best friend may or may not be in danger from Martin invading her home, yeah that would set her over the edge.” I replied.

“I won’t tell her but I will tell Martin and so help me if anything happens to you…” Paul trailed.

“It won’t. Smile, here comes Nonnie.” I said through a fake smile like nothing was wrong.