Learning to Fall

Rewards

I awoke to the sound of my cell phone ringing. I rolled over to answer it only to find that Martin was gone. Well, at least he stayed until I fell asleep.

"Hello?" I sleepily replied as I squinted my eyes to read my alarm clock by my bed.

"Are you busy?" Nonnie replied on the other end.

"Nonnie, do you realize what time it is?" I asked seeing that it was now a little after nine in the morning. Being up late last night to talk to Martin was taking its toll on me as I yawned.

"I do. Mr. Davis wants to see you in his office right away. How fast can you get here?" Nonnie asked making me curious as to why she would be the one calling me about Mr. Davis.

"I would need a hour or two. Why? What's this about? Am I being fired or something cause he said I had a few more weeks..." I trailed off.

"No! It's about my project you helped with with the other night. It's nothing bad. Just hurry and get your ass down here!" Nonnie hung up a little too excited.

I rolled back over in my bed and sighed. I hated surprises. Nonnie knows this so why didn't she just come out and tell me what Mr. Davis wanted so that I could be prepared. I debated even going really but knew that I wouldn't have a job after my time off ends if I didn't go.

I quickly showered and threw on something that looked presentable. I grabbed my purse and keys from the kitchen counter. As I did a note fell onto the floor. I didn't have time to read it so I just left it there as I flew out the door.

My stomach was in knots as I made my way up to the floor where I work. Nonnie was the first to greet me and dragged me into her office, hugging me tightly. I wish it was going to be me but its you and I wouldn't have it any other way seeing as you are my best friend...." Nonnie went on but I started to tune her out.

"Nonnie. Nonnie!" I said grabbing her attention finally.

"Oh, yes?" Nonnie had stopped rambling.

"What is this about?" I asked.

"I can't tell you. I was ordered that if I tell you then I am fired. But I will say you are going to need a whole new wardrobe!" Nonnie shrieked.

"Amanda, Mr. Davis will see you now." Marcia knocked and then replied as she opened Nonnie's office door.

"Goodluck!" Nonnie beamed. I felt so sick to my stomach as I walked to Mr. Davis office.

"Mr. Davis, you wanted to see me?" I replied as I knocked on his open door.

"Alexandra! Yes, please come in and have a seat." Mr. Davis replied as he got up from his chair.

"What is this about?" I asked nervously.

"Ok, don't worry you still have the three weeks I gave you off. I called you into the office today because I have some wonderful news for you. Alexandra, you have proven yourself to be an asset to the team here. As much as this kills me you have been offered by our sister marketing firm a VP position based on the work you have done. They even thought it was admirable how you came in to help Nonnie on her project." Mr. Davis stated.

"But I..." I didn't get to finish.

"There's more. Our sister firm is in Paris, France! Isn't that great! They want you to help our global marketing team. I have watched you grow into a fine professional over the last fews and saw how fast you moved up the corporate ladder. Alexandra, you are a smart, talented, and deserving person. You deserve this job. You earned this job." Mr. Davis replied as he got up and walked over to his window.

"Now, we are going to miss you..." Mr. Davis trailed off.

"Mr. Davis, I appreciate this offer but..." I replied thinking about how my life has turned out.

"I see nothing keeping you here except your friends here. You would fit in Paris. Who wouldn't want to live in Paris, France?" Mr. Davis asked.

"It's such a nice offer. It definately has taken me by surprise but..."

"Ok, I will give you the next few weeks to think about the offer. I realize that you have been through an ordeal and need some time to think about this amazing offer." Mr. Davis said.

I don't remember the rest of the conversation. I was both on a high and low. I do remember coming out of the office with everyone from the office applauding me and then Nonnie dragging me back into her office.

"What gives?" Nonnie asked.

"What?" I replied snapping out of my daze.

"I see the look in your eyes. Are you ok? Why aren't you excited about this?" Nonnie asked with her arms folded.

"I don't know. I would be leaving my best friend for one." I said.

"Hey, don't pass up this amazing once in a lifetime offer because of me. Besides, I can always come visit." Nonnie said trying to cheer me up.

"There is something else holding you back too. Wait a minute. You don't want to go because of Martin." Nonnie said.

Was Nonnie right? Was I unsure of taking this job because of my new relationship however it is? Was I afraid that I might never see Martin again?