Learning to Fall

Sleep Deprived

I tried to fall asleep. Honestly I did try but my mind was racing and I knew when my mind races I can't concentrate with so many things to worry about. I looked over at my clock on the nightstand. It was after three a.m.

I reached over and picked up my phone. I was anxious as I dialed the number to my best friend. Nonnie would know what to do. She could talk me into leaving for Paris or staying here. I needed her advice and I didn't care that it was three a.m.

"Hello?" A sleepy Nonnie replied.

"Nonnie, oh its, me, Alexandra. Sorry to wake you..." I replied. Click.

"Oh no she didn't." I said dialing her number again.

"Alex, do you realize what time it is and that I have to get up for work in four hours?" Nonnie mumbled.

"I'm sorry but you are my best friend and aren't best friends supposed to support one another when they need to talk?" I asked.

"It's after three a.m.! This seriously can't wait until morning?" Nonnie whined.

"No and I would do it for you." I begged.

"Fine, what is it? What is on your mind?" She asked.

"I don't think I can move to Paris." I sighed.

"What?! Now, I know you are crazy girl. Don't you realize how much this job could mean?" Nonnie asked like I was stupid.

"What if it means I could lose my heart in the process?" I asked.

"You seriously aren't hung up over Martin still are you? He hurt you and I don't like that." She sighed.

"I know but it's different now." I said. I then proceeded to tell her about our date.

"I mean Paul and I are just starting out but he doesn't seem to want to push me away every five seconds and then want to get back together. Why can't you date a nice, cute, Paris boy with an accent?" Nonnie asked.

"Let me put it to you this way. If there are vampires here, what makes you think that in Paris I would be any safer. At least here I am being looked after." I reasoned.

"Yeah, but over in Paris you wouldn't have the two crazy vampires that are after you!" Nonnie fired back. "You would look for the signs."

I hated when Nonnie was right but I couldn't leave. At least not yet anyway. Something kept pulling me to stay. It was as if I was needed to stay here. I glanced over at a picture of my parents on my dresser. I needed answers.

"Hello? Alex are you there?" Nonnie replied on the other end of the line.

"Don't tell Martin or Paul or anyone of the guys about this." I ordered Nonnie.

"I don't know." Nonnie sighed.

"Nonnie, I mean it. Promise me. If you were ever my best friend..."

"Ok, ok. I promise. I won't tell Martin or Paul. What about our boss?" She asked.

"I still have a few weeks to decide. Not a peep." I said.

"Fine. Oh don't expect me to call you when I get off work." Nonnie said.

"Why?" I asked. It was like our daily ritual to call and check in with each other at least once a day.

"I have a date with Paul. This time he is bringing me to his place." Nonnie replied.

"Eh, its nothing special. Been there, done that." I teased.

"Hey, I don't care. I like Paul or at least I think I do. He kisses good." Nonnie replied making me laugh.

"On that note, goodnight, Nonnie." I said hanging up.

I got all cozy back in my covers when the phone rang again. I looked at the caller id to see that I didn't recognize the number. I rolled over and decided to let the answering machine pick up.

"You can't hide from me forever in that house. He can't watch you all the time. Soon you will be all mine." The person on the other end of the line said. That person was none other than my ex Jeff.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to dedicate this chapter to my friend Anika and to my newest reader O.o.party_marty.o.O who have been waiting patiently for an update.