Learning to Fall

On The Line

"Alex, pick it back up and put it on speaker phone. Act like you are alone; that I'm not here." Martin whispered. I just nodded my head. I was too much in shock at what I just heard that I just stood there not moving.

I watched as Martin picked it up carefully and placed my cell in my hand. I took it and hit the speaker button as Martin leaned his head against mine for support. Jeff's voice became agitated.

"Did you hear me Alexandra?" He spoke. Martin nodded at me to speak.

"I'm here." I said as Martin wiped a tear from my cheek.

"Good. Are you alone?" He asked.

"Yes." I lied. I had to for Nonnie and Paul's sake.

"Good. Since you are alone I want you to come to the docks; the third warehouse on the left to be exact. But I want you stay alone. Don't even call your new boyfriend because if you don't come alone, I will kill your friends. I will know. I do have lookouts darling." Jeff spoke as if he was enjoying this too much.

"You are nothing but a sick monster!" I screamed as my rage finally started to come through as the shock began to fade.

"Temper, temper, my dear. You might want to control that if you want to see Nonnie again." Jeff snickered.

"How do I know you have them and how do I know they are still alive?" I asked.

"You don't but if you really need proof..." He trailed.

"Hello?" I asked. "Jeff!" I screamed.

"Alex?" Nonnie answered scared.

"Nonnie! Nonnie are you ok?" I asked.

"Alex, don't come here. It's a trap! He will kill..." She trailed as I heard a muffled sound.

"Nonnie?!" I yelled at the phone.

"If you want to see your friend again alive, you have two hours to be here at the docks alone." Jeff said before he hung up the phone.

"Alexandra, we are going to get them back alive. I just need to call..." Martin said getting his cell out.

"No! He said I had to come alone. Jeff wants me." I said stopping him.

"Alex, he may have lookouts but with me, Bryan, and John are the best hunters. You are not going alone. We know how to hide and where to go. I wasn't born yesterday. I know the docks pretty well. It's a breeding ground for new vampires. I want you to be safe and I know what Jeff's plans are. I am not losing my friend, Paul, either and I certainly am not going to lose you." Martin said wrapping me into one of his long hugs.

"I just hope you are right." I breathed into Martin's ear.

"I got a plan." Martin said pulling away from me. "Hey, we are in this together. I am not going to let Jeff hurt you or Nonnie. Trust me." Martin said giving me a reassuring kiss.