Learning to Fall

Stop Running And Face Your Fears

"Here." Martin said slipping a stake in my back pocket of my jeans. I had on a black tshirt and a long black jacket since it was a bit chilly out as I was now standing in front of my car at Martin's place.

"You guys are going to follow me?" I asked Martin. He had told me the plan a million times and each time I nodded my head but I just wanted to make sure. Nonnie and Paul's life depended on Martin's plan.

"Yes to a point. Bryan, John, and I are going to follow in the van but we know a side area that we can hide and park in. You are going in all the way to the docks. I will still be able to keep you in my sight even though you can't see me. Not even Jeff's goons will detect us. Alex, I know these docks better than Jeff. We have been coming here and fighting off new vampires hundreds of times." Martin replied.

"You are going to be escorted by a few of Jeff's goons once you arrive to one of the warehouses. Only use that stake if you have to." Bryan said. "Otherwise save it for Jeff if you need it." He said packing up the van with supplies.

"We got your back. Paul has Nonnie's. Don't worry." John said trying to reassure me.

"And I won't let anything happen to you. Promise." Martin said holding me tight, leaning in to kiss me.

"We better get going Martin." Bryan said once he was finished packing up the van.

"We will find our way into the warehouse Jeff has you in and this will all be over before anyone has a chance to hurt anyone." Martin replied kissing my forehead one last time before I got in my car.

I took a huge breath and sighed. "I can do this. I have to save Nonnie." I said once I was in my car.

I drove to the docks with the directions Martin gave me. He followed me but followed at a distance until I didn't see his van anymore. This was it as I took the main entrance into the docks. It was an old shipping yard with warehouses that used to be industrial plants that shipped their goods off by boats. Not too many were in use anymore.

I got out of my car to see three vampires quickly surround me. "Did you come alone?" One vampire hissed as he circled around me.

"Yes." I said trying not to be afraid.

"She's prettier in person." Another hissed.

"Don't even think about harming her or Jeff will come after us." The third vampire which was a girl, replied. She was dressed wearing jeans with holes in the legs and black combat boots. Her shirt was a green color and her hair was long and brown. The other two vampire guys had on black pants and black shirts as if they belonged to some secretive group or something.

"Follow me honey, and do try to keep up or the fellas may have to have a bite of you." The female replied as the other vampires looked around, making sure I was alone. She led me into a big warehouse that had a huge sliding door. It was dark except for a light in the middle of the floor that showed Nonnie and Paul tied up back to back in some chairs. I ran over to them not caring who was watching or was around me.

"Nonnie, wake up!" I said noticing the cut above her left eye. She didn't have a bite mark thank goodness. "Nonnie!" I said shaking her as she came to.

"Alex? Alex, what are you doing here?! It's a trap!" She yelled at me as she tried to shake her hands free.

"I know but you're my best friend. I can't lose you." I said trying to undo her ropes.

"How is Paul?" Nonnie asked.

"He is out of it. Paul has a nasty gash on his head." I said trying to undo the knots of the ropes.

"Well, well. I see you finally came and you came alone. I'm impressed." Jeff's voice echoed throughout the warehouse.

"We're doomed." Nonnie whispered.

"I'm going to get us out of here." I whispered back as I stood up.

"Paul, Paul, wake up!" Nonnie said trying to scoot in her chair hoping it would make Paul come to.

"Stop running your mouth and just show yourself!" I yelled as the bright lights that were on me, Nonnie, and Paul shut off.

"As you wish." Jeff replied and dim lights lit up half of the warehouse. He moved so fast that he was standing in front of me with ten of his vampire goons.

"You have me here, now let them go." I ordered.

"Fiesty are we. I thought I might keep them here and let them watch the fun in me turning you." Jeff said inching closer to me as my heart raced. Where are you Martin?

"I'm not afraid of you." I shot back.

"Oh you really shouldn't have said that!" Jeff quickly with his vampire speed was behind me now.

I whipped out my stake from my back pocket. "Is that all you got?" Jeff laughed.

"No, she's got me!" Martin said making a crash landing from the windows above.

"And us." Bryan and John said charging in from the entrance and staking the two guards.

I managed to move out of the way tucking my stake away as Martin started to fight Jeff. "Hurry!" Nonnie replied as I started to untie the ropes that her and Paul were held up in.

"I feel like a bus hit me." Paul mumbled as he started to come to.

"Paul, honey, can you fight?" Nonnie asked worried.

"Almost got it untied..." I was snatched from behind by a bloodthirsty vampire.

"Put me down!" I screamed.

It happened so fast. Paul managed to get him and Nonnie untied and used a piece of his chair he broke to stake the vampire who held me. "Thanks." I smiled.

"No problem. Move!" He said pushing me out of the way.

"Grab a stake, Nonnie." I said.

"What?" She asked standing there confused.

"Look, we are outnumbered and I know you don't want to die so grab a piece of that chair and use it! Stop running and face your fears!" I yelled as the girl vampire who led me into the warehouse charged at me. I whipped out my stake and managed to stake her.

"But...fine!" She yelled picking up a piece of wood.

I looked over to my left and saw Martin fighting Jeff. Somehow Jeff managed to get the slip from Martin and before I knew it he was standing in front of me. Nonnie tried to stake him from behind but he pushed her off sending her flying onto the floor. I held my stake up.

"You think you can defeat me? Please." He laughed as I struggled with Jeff. Martin I saw at the corner of my eye was ambushed by two new vampires that seemed to come out of nowhere.

Jeff managed to knock my stake out of my right hand and grabbed me, pinning my hand behind my back as I tried to fight him with my free one. "You can't win, Alex. Oh but you tried so hard. Maybe death suits you better than being with me." He replied in my ear as I still tried to fight. I wasn't going to quit but he made it hard as the pain from my arm being pinned made it unbearable. I think I managed to let out a scream of pain.

"So long, love." And with that he sank his fangs into me hard.