Learning to Fall

Survival Mode

(Martin's POV)

"You did this!" I screamed lunging at Sara after I let go of Alexandra. "You turned Jeff and made him into the monster he was!"

"Temper, temper. I don't like it when people mess with my head as your girlfriend did. She poked and prodded around in my dreams. It's her fault." Sara snapped with her fangs extended as she managed to get out of my grasp. "Besides, why do you want a meager human? We are equal, you and I, Martin. Why can't you see how superior we are compared to the human race?"

"I guess that you forgot we used to be human. I loved you once upon a time. I don't love the monster you have become." I answered as we fought back and forth; dodging and taking each other's blows.

Sara had all her vampire goons with her fighting my friends. I couldn't exactly help them as I was trying to protect myself and Alexandra from Sara. I knew all her tricks. Somehow she has managed to survive. I thought I killed her once and I felt all this guilt. It was just my feelings of our old lives pent up inside of me. My Sara was gone and it took me finding Alex to finally see that. When Sara resurfaced trying to kidnap Alex and Nonnie from work not long ago, it took me by surprise. How did she survive to torment me?

"How did you survive?" I growled. "I killed you." I said.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" She taunted.

I managed to slip and landed on a chunk of glass that went through my right side. It left me paralyzed temporarily where I couldn't move but the pain hurt like hell. I tried to roll over and and take my right arm to reach back and pull the glass out but Sara stopped me. She grabbed the glass shard as all I could do was grab her arm. Sara ripped the glass out and I winced and screamed out in pain.

"I really did love you, Martin but I can't have you running around pinning over a human. You can't really protect your friends either." She laughed and looked over her shoulder watching my friends try to defend themselves. "If you aren't going to join me now, then I guess I will have to kill you." She said taking the glass shard and raising it up over my chest.

I closed my eyes expecting to go quick. I was so sorry I failed at protecting Alexandra, Nonnie, Paul, Bryan, and John. They were the only people important in my life and I have failed them. I was already losing alot of blood from the huge puncture wound that if she didn't stake me I knew I would die soon just from the wound.

All of a sudden I heard Sara scream. I opened my eyes and looked up to see Alex behind Sara and a stake in Sara's chest. Sara had a look of pure terror on her face before she turned around to face Alex. "Why?" Sara asked as Alex brushed past her and over to me.

"You're ok?" I said touching Alex's face.

"Let's get you up." Alex replied trying to help me up off the floor. "You're bleeding bad." She said as she tried to put pressure on the wound and help me to lean against a wall.

"Sara." I said turning to look where she was standing. "She's gone."

"Martin, look at me." Alex replied taking her hands and moving my face to hers. "We can't worry about Sara right now. "You are paler than usual and lost alot of blood."

"I'll be fine." I said before losing my balance and crashing against Alex. I was beginning to feel very weak and lightheaded.

"I keep applying pressure but it won't stop." Alex said worried as she helped me sit against the wall.

"Martin, focus! Look at me!" Alex screamed.

"I'm just glad you are ok." I smiled. Words I wanted to say were just coming out jumbled and I felt as if I wanted to sleep.

"Drink." Alex demanded sticking her wrist out in front of me.

"No!" I managed to say as I used everything in me to push her away.

"Martin, you have saved my life. Let me save yours." She demanded again.

"I promised you, I wouldn't..." I began to lose conciousness.

"Screw that promise. You aren't leaving me! Martin!" She said snapping me back. "Do it for us if you really love me and want me to live. I can't lose another person out of my life." She pleaded.

I looked in Alex's eyes and saw so much pain. I didn't want to bite her. She had already lost enough from Jeff's bite. If I bit her and couldn't stop...

Alex pushed her wrist to my lips again. "I'm sorry." I mumbled and drank as disoriented I was.

"See. Everything is going to be better." Alex whispered in my ear trying to mask the pain she felt from my bite. Her other hand was running through my hair.

I managed to stop myself. I drank just enough that my body would start to heal but I knew I needed more but if I did, Alex wouldn't make it. I held Alex's wrist and felt her head slump over on my shoulder. I managed to pass out right along side her.