Learning to Fall

The Shot Heard Round' The World

(Martin's POV)

"Paul, John, can I get a minute." I whispered as I entered Alex's hospital room. Alex was sleeping in her hospital bed and Paul and Bryan had fallen asleep in the chairs in the room. Paul's wrist had a brace on it.

"Huh?" Paul sleepily awoke. "Martin...sure." He yawned hitting John's left arm to wake him up. John sluggishly got up and left the room with Paul.

I quietly pulled up a chair next to Alex's bed. She looked so peaceful when she slept minus the machines she was hooked up to. There was an IV on the top part of her left hand making sure she got fluids and medicene she needed. I am guessing that Alexandra was dehydrated as well. Alex was also wearing a heart monitor and had one of those things that checks your pulse on her right index finger.

I reached over and grabbed her right hand, seeing it bandaged from my bite wound. I looked up and saw her neck where Jeff viciously attacked was also bandaged up. I closed my eyes and shook my head.

"Martin?" Alex softly replied as she started to wake up.

"Yeah, babe, it's me." I said.

"It worked. You're ok." Alex smiled as she looked around at her surroundings.

"Yeah, it worked but it cost you, Alex. They had to give you a transfusion because of me. How could you have been so stupid?" I asked shaking my head, still holding onto her hand.

"Stupid?" She said trying to sit up, which she did but wincing in pain. "Dizzy." She added reaching for her head.

Once she had regained herself, "I'm not stupid. I did it to save you're life. I love you and Jeff already started my downfall, remember?" She said grabbing her head.

"Headache?" I asked.

"Just a slight one. I guess it comes with part of the package." She smiled.

"Alex, this isn't a laughing matter. Look, we are connected now. I am going to be honest with you. Since I have bitten you, we can sense each others' presence. I will always be able to know where you are when I want to, and all you have to do is think of me and know where I am. I can sense your emotions and I can get into your head; your thoughts. The scary part is I can control you now when I want which is dangerous for you and me." I leveled with Alex.

"I don't care." She replied.

"Ugh. Why are you so stubborn? Wait nevermind, don't answer that." I huffed.

"Martin, we love each other and I really believe that if you really love someone, nothing else matters. You won't try to control me, nor hurt me. You don't give yourself enough credit for your restraint." She said.

"Restraint? Look, I wanted to bite you so many times before this all happened. I might not have but the thought was always there. I'm a monster, Alex, who can't be trusted right now." I said trying to reason with her.

"You're not a monster!" She snapped.

Nothing else seemed to work so I just blurted out what I was trying not to say. I know it needed to be said because I wanted Alex to be safe and far away from me, and all the vampire drama, but it still hurt. I really do love Alexandra but now isn't the best time for us, especially with Sara still on the loose.

"Why didn't you tell me about Paris?" I blurted.

"Paris? How did you hear about....Nonnie told you!" Alex replied pissed. "I made her promise me that she wouldn't tell." Alex crossed her arms.

"Don't be mad at Nonnie. She just loves you and is looking out for you." I said. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted to. I thought at one point I was going to go but then me and you had a heart to heart talk and things seemed to get better. Paris didn't seem the logical choice; you did." She replied taking her right hand in mine.

"I think you should go." I said letting go.

"What? Why? Martin, where is this coming from?" Alex asked shocked.

"It is your dream and I won't stand in between it." I answered.