Learning to Fall

Why Does She Haunt Me So?

(Mysterious Rescuer's POV)

“You’re back.” I heard Paul say as I walked into the house I shared with three of my friends.

“Yeah, we were beginning to think you weren’t going to make it in before sunrise.” Bryan added.

“I’m fine. I made it.” I said heading back to my room.

“Is that girl going to be ok?” Paul asked following me.

“Yes. She is lucky though.” I replied taking off my shirt, getting ready for some sleep.

“I don’t mean to pry or anything but why did you stay so long at the hospital?” Paul pressed.

“I just wanted to make sure she was taken care of.”

“Oh. Don’t you think she looked eerily similar to…?” Paul didn’t get to finish.

“Don’t go there. This girl’s name was Alexandra.” I snapped. “She looked nothing like…her.”

“Sorry. I know it is a touchy subject but chill. I didn’t mean any harm.” Paul replied storming off as I closed the door to my room.

Ah. Finally there is silence. My room was completely in the dark and I liked it that way. I laid down in my bed and closed my eyes but I couldn’t sleep.

Instead, everything that happened last night replayed in my head. Alexandra. I suddenly could not keep my mind off her. She was so much like my ex girlfriend.

Her voice was different, and her hair was shorter but it was unreal. Even her eyes were a different color, yet she could have passed to be her twin.

What was she doing out that late at night and how did she end up in that wreck with waiting vampires? I could see something in her eyes when she looked up at me, right before she passed out in my arms. It was not only fear and exhaustion from what happened but that she was worried over something.

I shouldn’t be thinking about her. Go to sleep man. Alex is safe now at the hospital and probably is well on her way to going home soon. Then why am I so worried about her?