Learning to Fall

Packed For Success

I was kept in the hospital for two days. Paul stayed with me the first night after Martin broke up with me but I sent him away the next day. Nonnie tried to visit me on the second day but I told the nurses that I didn't want to see any visitors. I guess you could say that I was angry with Nonnie. I know that she was behind Martin breaking up with me.

I understand why Nonnie did what she did. She just wanted to protect me after what had happened at the warehouse. It's scary stuff seeing your best friend get kidnapped and attacked and I guess knowing or seeing Martin bite me put a doubt in her mind that Martin would do it again. I know he wouldn't but I can't argue with Nonnie over it. I can't really blame her fully over my breakup either because Martin could have chosen not to believe what Nonnie was telling him.

I was now back home and alone in the empty house I inherited after my parents died. I kept thinking that at some point Martin would crack and I would wake up to find him in my room watching me sleep. It didn't happen.

After two days of being locked in my house ignoring all the calls from Nonnie, I finally decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and called my boss. It was time to move on and start working on a change. I think Mr. Davis was more thrilled than I was when I told him I would take the job in Paris. He told me to pack because I would be leaving in three days. It was like he knew I would take the job and had everything lined up waiting for me.

I didn't know how long I would work or stay in Paris but it was something I always wanted to do. It was both scary and exciting to be moving to a foreign city. In a way I feel connected to Martin and I guess I always will now that he has bitten me but I won't let that stop me from moving on and getting away. Martin was the coward who chose to let me go.

I started covering up all the furniture in the house since I would be away for awhile. I packed four suitcases full of clothes and managed to find my passport which I needed if I was to stay in Paris for while. On the day before I was set to leave, Nonnie showed up at my house.

"What do you want?" I asked as I slowly opened the door.

"Can I come in?" Nonnie askes peering through the door to see the covered up furniture.

"No. Actually, can you come another time because I am busy trying to get things in order before I leave tomorrow." I replied.

"That's cold when you and I both know you won't be back home for a long time." Nonnie answered.

"Yeah, well, I didn't know that my best friend would go in stab me in the back. I lost him because of you. Are you happy now, Nonnie? I am going to Paris to live my dream and you lose a best friend. Satisfied?" I angrily threw out.

"Alex, I'm sorry. I really am. I don't know what I can say to make things better. You and I both know that it wouldn't have worked out anyway between the two of you. Plus, I couldn't let a guy destroy your dreams. You worked hard for this promotion and you deserve it after all the crap you have been through over the years. Sara is still on the loose. Think about that. Martin and I are only concerned about your safety. I love you Alex. You are like my sister. I don't want you to leave and still be mad at me." Nonnie pleaded.

"I don't want to be mad at you either but I need time." I said.

"I got time. Besides, whose phone bill am I going to run up when I am having problems with Paul? I still need advice. You're my girl to turn to. You can't be mad at Paul." Nonnie replied.

"Poor, Paul. He doesn't know what he got himself into does he?" I laughed.

"Friends?" Nonnie asked.

"Friends. You know, I still need a ride to the airport tomorrow." I said.

"I'll be here." Nonnie smiled as she left my porch.

I closed the door and watched Nonnie get into her car and drive away from the window. Maybe Paris would be a fresh start to a new life. Sara couldn't find me there and I already know about all the dangers to watch for when it comes to vampires. I think I was beginning to like the sound of Paris already. Besides, what could possibly go wrong for me there?