Learning to Fall

A Chance Encounter

I was released the next day from the hospital. I was given some medicine to take for pain and infection for my arm and sent on my way. Since my car was totaled, the hospital was gracious enough to call a cab for me. Instead of the driver take me home, I asked him to drop me off at the nearest car dealership. After all, I needed a new car.

After picking me out a nice red Honda Civic, I happily drove home. I was a little angry at how the dealership kept trying to offer me their most fancy cars. All I wanted was something simple I can get to anywhere I want without hassle. I didn’t need a fancy car. That just wasn’t me. I am a simple girl.

I made it home and crawled into bed. I knew that it was only a little after one pm, but I had trouble sleeping all night. Those dreams I had from earlier in the day yesterday occurred again. I couldn’t tell the doctor because then he would definitely commit me to the crazy ward.

I thought that maybe I could fall asleep and nap but instead I laid there thinking of where my boyfriend was. I tried calling him this morning to see if he was home and could pick me up from the hospital but all I got was the voicemail. Every worse case scenario crossed my mind. I can’t think like this.

Finally, after a few hours I drifted to sleep, dream free. I woke up around six and decided to shower and change into something I could go jogging in. I used to love late night walks and jogs.

I left the house again after I got ready and stopped over at a deli for some dinner and a bottle of water to take with me. There was this local park in the hills I used to love when I was a kid that I thought I should visit tonight. I hadn’t been there in a few years. I think the last time I was there was shortly after my parents died. I went there to clear my head.

I made my way to the park and found that a few cars were still left in the parking lot which was good. It meant that I would not be totally alone in the park tonight. The lights were dim on the light poles and the sun had almost set. If I wasn’t so used to this place, I would have thought that it seemed eerie tonight.

I jogged down the path that led to the children’s playground and found it quiet. I guess all the parents decided not to have their children out past eight. I found the swings and sat down in one of them. I sighed.

I started thinking about everything that had happened in my life good and bad as I started to swing. I thought about last night and most of all Jeff. I missed him as I looked down at my left hand and to my ring finger. Was Jeff going to ask me to marry him and then got cold feet? Did he need his space?

I heard a rustling through some bushes that blocked the woods around the playground. I stopped swinging and looked around. Ok, now I was getting a little nervous.

I got up slowly and reached into my pocket of my shorts. A girl always needs to be prepared whenever she is out alone. That is why I brought my little can of pepper spray.

“Who is there?” I asked as the rustling stopped and it became quiet again.

I started to have a slight awkward feeling in my stomach. I couldn’t tell if it was due to my nerves or if it was a good feeling. But how can it be good when I am starting to be afraid?

“Look, I have protection and I am not afraid to use it! Plus I know self defense!” I said nervously.

“You shouldn’t be out here alone.” I heard a voice say behind me.

I turned around ready to spray my soon to be attacker but instead stopped. I took a look at the guy’s face that was standing in front of me now and gasped. His face was so familiar. Of course it was familiar; it’s my rescuer from the other night!

“You nearly scared the shit out of me!” I said placing my mace back into my pocket.

“You should leave.” My rescuer from the other night replied.

“Well, hello to you too.” I said not budging. He only glared at me and then nervously kept watch around us as if something was going to go bump in the night.

“You are the guy who rescued me the other night.” I said.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” He replied.

“Uh huh, right.” I rolled my eyes. “Look, I’m Alexandra but you can call me Alex.” I said extending my hand out.

“I know who you are.” He said as I embarrassedly took my hand away as he just stared at me.

“If you know who I am then you were there the night I wrecked and was attacked.” I smiled as we started walking away from the swings. I wasn’t backing down.

“Maybe I just know you from around town.” He shrugged.

“Right, considering I don’t know you at all except for the other night.” I said frustrated as we kept walking down a path.

“My name is Martin.” He stopped.

“Oh so my mystery stranger here has a name.” I said sarcastically.

“Hey, you wanted my name.” He replied giving a slight grin which made me blush a little. Stop it Alex. You are getting off track.

“Well, Martin, it is nice to meet you.” I said extending my hand out again.

I watched as Martin took my hand and shook it for a second. Then we just started walking again through the park. There were a few minutes of silence between us before I broke it.

“Listen, I want to thank you for saving my life. I am thanking you even though you won’t admit to it.” I sighed.

“It was nothing. My friends and I just happened to be out.” Martin finally confessed.

“So you just happened to be out again tonight and coincidently run into me again? Why Martin I believe you may be following me.” I laughed kidding.

“Uh, I just like to take walks alone in the park. It’s quiet out here. I can think alone.” Martin replied.

“Hey, no worries. I was only kidding. I was kind of hoping I saw you again at some point just to thank you though.” I said before finding a park bench to sit on.

“I know this is going to sound crazy but I almost hit a man or so I thought he was a man. I don’t know, maybe I was just too upset over my boyfriend standing me up at dinner that my mind played tricks on me but that can’t explain how that guy I almost hit was trying to break into my car and attack me as I was pinned into it.” I sighed.

“Oh, you have a boyfriend?” Martin asked. I could tell he was studying me.

“I do or well did. I can’t seem to reach him. His name is Jeff. We have been together for a long time. We were supposed to have dinner the other night but he never showed. I waited for a few hours. I tried to call him but I reached no answer on his cell or work. I even called his house and got nothing. It’s been like that even today. I tried to call him to tell him I had been in a wreck but was ok and I got nothing.”

“I’m sorry.” Martin replied touching my hand. I don’t know why but he sent shivers down my spine the moment he touched me.

“You’re cold? Here, take this.” He replied taking off his leather jacket and handing it to me.

“I can’t take that.” I said starting to shiver. It was starting to get a little chilly out.
Martin wasn’t going to take no for an answer. “Thanks.” I said finally taking the jacket and putting it on.

“I think he might have wanted to propose to me. Maybe he got cold feet.” I thought aloud.

“So how did that bring you to where I found you the other night?” Martin asked hearing me.

“Oh, um, I was driving home after not getting in touch with Jeff and got lost in my thoughts. I didn’t see a man dart out until it was almost too late. I swerved to miss him and my car went flying into the tree on the opposite side of the road as I lost control. I hit my head as you can see the bruise still I’m sure.” I said lifting my bangs for Martin to see.

“I then blacked out. When I came to, my head ached from the head gash, and my sight was blurry. Nothing felt broken but as you saw, my legs were pinned. I struggled to get out but couldn’t. I managed to see five guys dressed in black and one of them was the man I thought almost killed. I remember hearing him saying something like he had smelt fresh blood and another of the men saying I was alive. You probably think I am crazy right?” I asked turning away from Martin.

“No, actually I don’t.” He said in a calm manner that made me turn and look at him again. “Please continue.” He added.

“I then asked if one of them could get me out of the car. I was so frightened that I was not going to be able to get out and there was something about the men that started to scare me as well. The man I almost hit then said something to me through my passenger side window and bared what looked like fangs as his men started to smash my windows and hop on the roof of my car. I screamed but couldn’t move of course. One of the vampires smashed through my driver side window which, the glass cut my left arm here.” I said showing Martin my stitches. For the first time, I think Martin actually looked concerned for me.

“Then, the dizziness started to occur from my head wound as I tried not to let the men hurt me. I must have fainted again. When I started to come to again, I heard voices and fighting going on. I was thinking I was going to die because I didn’t know what was going on. I went out again and then when I came to from that spell, I felt you remove me from my car. I heard you and your friends’ voices. I heard one of them ask who I was and that was when I opened my eyes long enough to see you and tell you my name. I can’t believe that you and your friends ran off my attackers.” I said amazed.

“We’re pretty tough guys.” Martin laughed.

“Martin, I know what I saw. I know I was going in and out of it but my attacker, he had fangs. I know I saw them. It’s just so crazy because vampires don’t exist. He had to have been a guy messed up or something. Yet, I have been having these weird dreams since my crash. There is this girl and she looks like me and she is bitten by a vampire.” I said afraid that Martin was going to think I was crazy now.

“Get down!” He said shoving me off the bench and onto the pavement.