Learning to Fall

Unlike Any Other

I looked up to see Martin fighting off three guys. One of them had tried to attack me from behind the bench. At first I was too stunned to get up.

I managed to compose myself and got up off the ground. Martin was in front of me. I then looked at our attackers again and saw that their faces were like the same as the ones I had the other night. They had fangs!

“No, they can’t be real!” I said stepping back. I watched as Martin whipped out a stake from his pants pocket and staked one of the vampires. Then, one of the two that was left did a flip over Martin and was standing in front of me.

“Boss?” He asked.

“Leave her alone!” Martin yelled as he killed the other vampire.

“Funny, boss. You smell human.” He said in a growling tone.

“That’s because I am human.” I said stepping back as he inched forward. I managed to trip over a rock and fell. I think I managed to twist my ankle but not enough to break it or sprain it.

Just as I thought that the vampire was going to grab me up off the ground, Martin came from behind and staked the vampire. I looked up to see his face. My eyes went wide. He had fangs. He was one of them.

“Here.” He said reaching out his hand.

“You’re one of them? All this time as I babbled on about how I saw those attackers the other night with fangs and you are one of them?” I got out as I managed to crawl backwards. I tried to get up to run but my ankle prevented me.

“Alex, please, let me explain. I’m not one of them. I’m nothing like them. I’m not going to hurt you. I saved your life the other night, remember? Why would I hurt you?” Martin asked as he retracted his fangs.

“It’s a ploy. I’ve watched movies. Vampires go after their intended victims. Have you been following me?” I asked still trying to get away. I managed to back myself up against a tree. A lot of good this was doing by crawling backwards.

“It’s not like that. I didn’t know you would be out here tonight. I always come out here. Why do you think I told you that you shouldn’t be out here alone at night? I wanted you to leave.” Martin replied.

“Alex, please?” He pleaded extending his hand out again. I don’t know why but something made me look into his eyes. They were blue and they were warm and caring. How could I deny those eyes? There was something familiar about them that pleaded for me to take his hand.

I took his hand and he helped me up. Then he hugged me tightly. “I can’t lose you, not again.” He whispered.

“Martin, you won’t lose me. I’m right here.” I said backing away and looking at him like he had lost his mind.

“Oh, um, sorry.” He said rubbing his right hand through his hair.

“So.” I said trying to break the ice as we walked to my car.

“So.” Martin looked at his shoes.

“Vampires are real, huh?” I sighed.

“Alexandra, I want you to promise me that you won’t go out at night alone anymore.” Martin sounded concerned.

“I promise, believe me.” I said.

“You weren’t crazy before so don’t let anyone tell you that you are. I think those vampires caused your accident the other night. I don’t think they expected you to be as alive as you were though when they approached your mangled car. You were very lucky by the way that you weren’t seriously injured. I could tell.” Martin explained.

“How could you tell what injuries I had?” I asked confused.

“Your blood.” Martin replied.

“Ok, that is like seriously gross.” I said as he laughed.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Shoot.” He said as we arrived to my car.

“What makes you different? What makes you not want to drink my blood right now?” I said offering him my neck.

His fangs slid out and just like that his face was at my throat quickly. I swallowed hard afraid that maybe that was the wrong question to ask. Is he testing me to see how scared I can get right now; because he is doing an excellent job of it?

“I can see your veins. I can feel and smell your fear of me right now. Your heart beats faster and your breathing is shallower.” He whispered in my left ear. “I may want your blood and know how it tastes but I can control it.” He said pulling away from my neck and turning around.

I caught my breath and reached for his right shoulder. When he wouldn’t face me, I moved so that I was now wedged in between him and my car. He refused to look at me.

“Martin.” I said touching his face as he tried to pull away from me.

“Martin, I’m not afraid.” I said gathering all the courage I had in me. Why should I be afraid? This man has saved my life twice now. He isn’t going to hurt me.

“You should be afraid.” He replied.

“Look at me.” I said. After some hesitation he turned his head back to face me.

“I’m not afraid of you. You saved my life twice now. If you wanted to bite me you could have done it earlier.” I decided.

“There are slip ups. I may control it so well now but what if in the future I can’t? I mean I even keep my friends at arms length sometimes.” Martin responded.

“Show me your fangs.” I said now curious to see them.

“What?” He said taken aback.

“I want to see them.”

“Fine.” He huffed.

I watched as Martin slid his fangs out. I studied them. I ran my fingers across them and felt how sharp they were. Then, like an instinct I reached up and ran my fingers through his hair. My eyes locked on his and we leaned into each other and into a kiss.