Learning to Fall

Dangerous Words

The kiss felt right. It was like we belonged together yet part of this feeling felt as if it wasn’t me. It was hard to explain. I quickly realized what I was doing and pulled away. It was wrong for me to kiss Martin and besides I had a missing fiancé I loved and cared about that is missing.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean…” I stated embarrassed.

“No. I’m sorry, I should…” Martin replied scratching his head.

“Can…Can I give you a ride somewhere?” I quickly replied changing the subject of what just happened.

“No, I think I will walk. Vampires have like super speed.” Martin smiled.

“They do?” I asked.

“Well, we are can be pretty fast but not that fast.” Martin laughed.

I walked over to the driver’s side of my car and unlocked the door. “Are you heading straight home?” Martin asked concerned about me.

“Actually, no. I came here to the park to be alone and to think. After you popping up and then being attacked to the kiss, it made me realize something. Martin it was wrong for me to have kissed you and it put everything into perspective. I was just so worked up over Jeff and after everything that had just happened to me and you tonight, I got caught up in a moment. I feel a bit guilty. I mean I should be out looking for Jeff or something.” I replied. Even though I felt guilty for that kiss, part of me liked it and that was a problem I didn’t want to go through right now.

“Alexandra, I know you are worried about Jeff but you should go home. Look at the danger you were in tonight. How do you expect to go roaming around the city alone and on top of that with no clue as to where Jeff is?” Martin replied making a good point.

“You are right. That is why I am heading down to the police station and filling out a missing person report. It has been almost 48 hrs so I am sure the police will start looking for him in the morning.” I said getting into my car.
My passenger side door opened and Martin hopped in. “What are you doing?” I asked shocked.

“Look, I know you don’t want to hear this but what if he’s…”

“Martin, I don’t want to think that he is hurt somewhere or…dead. Knowing that there are vampires now scares me and I don’t want to think or believe he could be one. But if he is hurt or something then the police can find him and bring him back to me.” I said staring out my windshield. “I’m not giving up hope.” I sighed.

“Then I will go with you.” Martin smiled.

“I appreciate it but I don’t think it will be necessary.” I said.

“Trust me, I can help. I know how cops can be sometimes. I have ways of persuading people to do what I want and if they don’t act on this, then I will make them.” Martin smiled at me.

“Another power of yours?” I asked cocking my right eyebrow.

“Something like that.” He laughed. “I’m doing it for you because you are worried and I want you to find your boyfriend so I don’t have to find you in another car wreck or out here late at night.” Martin grinned.

“Is that the only reason?” I laughed.

“Don’t you have to go somewhere?” He replied changing the subject. I just rolled my eyes at him and started the car.

We arrived at the police station and talked to a detective and an officer. Martin used his persuasion thingy on them because they pretty much told me without telling me that they didn’t feel that Jeff was a missing case and weren’t going to help me. After filling out paperwork, giving a picture of what Jeff looks like, and leaving my contact information, I came out feeling slightly better that something was now going to be done.

“Alex, I will have my friends and myself out looking for him too if Jeff isn’t found by the afternoon tomorrow.” Martin said placing his hands on my shoulders and looking in my eyes after we had left the police station.

“Thanks. Why are you doing this again? I mean we barely know each other except for you saving my life twice.” I replied.

“Maybe I have a soft spot for damsels in distress.” He said as we walked to my car.

We both got in my car and I didn’t bother to ask where he lived. I just drove to my house. There was silence between us as I drove home. When we arrived I pressed a button to open the gate and then pulled into the driveway of my house.

“Wow, you live here?” Martin asked as we got out of my car and walked to my front door.

“Yeah, would you like to…”

“Don’t. Those are dangerous words you are about to say.” Martin said pressing a finger up to my lips.

“I don’t understand.” I replied.

“Once you invite a vampire into your home, they are welcome anytime. Vampires can sneak in undetected and use their persuasion powers on their victims.” Martin explained.

“What if I trust you?” I asked.

“I don’t think we should take a chance on that. I should go. I’m glad you made it home ok.” Martin said turning to walk away from me.

“Hey, how are you going to get wherever your home is? I can drive you there. I didn’t even think…”

“No, its ok. I will make it before sunrise. I’m fast and I have some friends who can pick me up.” Martin smiled.

“Here, you might want this back.” I said taking off Martin’s jacket. I had forgotten I had it on all this time.

“Keep it. I may need it back someday but I don’t need it anytime soon.” He replied.

“Will I ever see you again?” I asked stupidly but there was something I could feel pulling me closer to him. It was as if I needed him to be apart of my life. It was almost as if I had met and known Martin before.

“Do you have a cell phone?” Martin asked catching me off guard.

“Uh, yeah.” I said walking back to my car. I had left my cell in the car because I didn’t want to carry a purse with me at the park earlier. I got it out and handed it to him.

“I am putting my number in here. Call me when you hear anything on Jeff or if you feel the need to take another crazy jog in the park late at night.” He smiled. All I could do was nod.

He handed me back my phone and I watched him disappear down the driveway and into the night. I used my keys and opened my front door. When I was in my house I hit the security button by the door and watched my gate shut. I closed the front door and walked into the living room collapsing on the couch.

What just happened here? I looked at my phone and read Martin’s number. Why do I feel so happy about possibly seeing Martin again? I know it’s wrong. I have Jeff to worry about, yet I feel something for Martin even though I can’t put my finger on it.

I was too exhausted to get up and hop in my bed so I fell asleep on the couch. I awoke to the sound of cell phone going off. I looked at my watch to see that I had slept in until twelve. I looked at my phone to see it was my friend Nonnie from work. She was probably calling me to see if I was enjoying my long vacation and if Jeff had proposed to me yet.

I decided to answer it and talked to her for almost an hour. After that, I managed clean up and clean the house for a few hours to occupy my time from worrying about Jeff. It was a little after six p.m. and my phone rang again. I picked it up this time to see that it was the detective calling me that I had talked to last night about Jeff. This was going to go one of two ways; either they found Jeff alive which is what I am hoping they did, or they found him…dead.