Learning to Fall

A Frantic Call For Help

(Martin’s POV)

I woke up to a pounding on my door. I groggily got up out of my bed wondering why one of the guys decided to disturb my slumber. After what happened last night, I just wanted to sleep things off my mind.

“Martin, come on man, wake up!” Paul pounded on the door again.

“I’m up!” I yelled swinging the door open. “What is so important that you have to wake me up about?” I asked.

“You have a girl calling for you.” Paul replied with his hand over the part the other person can hear from. “She sounds frantic.” Paul replied handing me the phone.

“That’s got to be Alexandra.” I replied.

“Wait, what? You gave the girl you saved your phone number and you didn’t tell us?” Paul asked as I pushed him away.

“Now isn’t the time. I will explain later.” I whispered as he grabbed a chair in my room.

“Alex?” I responded into the phone.

“Martin, I’m sorry to call you. I guess I shouldn’t have but you told me to call if I had any problems and well…” Her voice sounded shaky like she had been crying.

“What is it?” I asked concerned.

“The police called. They found Jeff….they want me to ID his body at the morgue.” Alex started crying again.

“I can’t go down there alone. I guess I called to see if you can come with me.” She managed to get out.

“Its not that I don’t want to go but I can’t. It’s still daylight out for at least another hour or so.” I replied.

There was a pause on the other end. “Alex? Alex?” I repeated.

“Alex, I am going to send my friend Paul over. Listen to me closely. You have to check his body for bite marks on his neck, ok?” I asked.

“Just hurry. I want to get this over with.” She replied hanging up.

I couldn’t blame how she felt. Alexandra had so much hope that Jeff was still alive somewhere. Now, her whole world has been shaken up. Vampires. If I could I would make everything alright again but I can’t. I can’t bring Jeff back to her and now if he has been killed by a vampire, there is that chance that Jeff will wake up as a vampire himself.

“Is she standing over a dead body?” Paul asked as he tried to eavesdrop.

“No. I am going to explain this to you. I need you to go over to Alexandra’s house and pick her up. Take weapons with you but hide them. Alex just received a call from the police telling her that they found her boyfriend and that she has to ID him. I need you to go with her and make sure he doesn’t turn into one. I will meet you with the rest of the gang as soon as it gets dark. All I have to do is track your whereabouts to find you.” I said.

“That my friend is freaky.” Paul replied as he walked out of my room.

“Paul, I guess I should tell you how she got my number.” I looked down.

I told Paul about everything that happened last night. “Wow, she kissed you? And you contained yourself?” Paul asked.

“Yeah.” I said uncomfortable.

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say you have feelings for her.” Paul laughed.

“Shut up. I don’t. I can’t. She’s just a friend.” I said but who was I kidding. Something was pulling me towards Alex and I couldn’t explain it.

“Uh huh, sure.” Paul laughed as I started to scribble down Alex’s address.

“Just go and be careful.” I said.