Learning to Fall

Overwhelmed

Chapter 8
I shakily hung my phone up and placed it in my purse. Then I opened the gate in front of my house for Martin’s friend Paul to show up. I locked up and sat out on the front step waiting.

How did this happen? Were there vampires involved? Did someone deliberately just try to kill him? I tried not to think of all the worst possible scenarios but I couldn’t take my mind off it. It made me cry even more.

I had just finished wiping the tears from my eyes when a black SUV pulled up in my driveway. Martin’s friend must have drove fast to get here which means that Martin is worried about this not only because of me, but for another reason that I didn’t want to repeat in my head. I watched as a dark headed guy stepped out of the SUV.

“Paul?” I asked nervously as I got up from where I was sitting.

“That’s me. Wow, you do look like…um you are prettier in person then from seeing you in that wreck a couple of nights ago.” Paul replied but it sounded as if he was going to say something else.

“Thanks.” I half smiled.

Paul walked around and opened my door for me. Then I watched as he hopped into the vehicle after he watched me climb in. He backed up the SUV and out of my driveway. I closed the gate with a remote I had in my purse. Then we sped on our way to the hospital with the directions the detective had given me over the phone to the morgue Jeff’s body had been taken to.

“So your name is Alexandra, huh?” Paul replied trying to make small talk and breaking the silence going on.

“You can call me Alex.” I said glancing out the window.

“I’m sorry about your boyfriend.” Paul said as we turned a corner. I just nodded not really wanting to talk right now.

“How did you two meet exactly? How long had you been dating?” Paul pried.

I just looked at him. “I’m sorry that was rude of me.” He corrected himself.

“Jeff and I had been seeing each other for a year. We met in college. I was a senior and he was finishing up his master’s degree to be a lawyer. Jeff was older then me but age didn’t matter. We just hit it off really well.” I replied looking down at my hands now.

“I’m sorry.” He said again.

“So what is Martin’s story?” I asked changing the subject.

“Story?” He asked.

“Yeah, like how was Martin turned?” I asked.

“He didn’t tell you?” Paul asked nervously.

“No, we didn’t get around to that. He told me that he’s dangerous pretty much and tries to keep you and your other friends at arms length.” I said.

“He tries, but we won’t let him. We look out for each other. We’ve all been friends for years. We are like brothers. John, Bryan, and I all try to look out for Martin especially since he was turned. Martin has never tried to hurt us but there is always that risk. I mean he is a vampire.” Paul explained.

“What makes him different from the rest?” I asked wanting to know more about the man who saved my life.

“I can’t seem to figure that one out. Martin seems to have his soul. He knows its wrong to kill humans and he struggles with that because blood is the one thing he relies on because it is a vampire’s food source. Somehow he managed to convince someone at a hospital to give him a blood supply. And that’s what he drinks is blood packets. When he gets really worked up over a fight, I have noticed him drink way too many packets then he usually does.
It worries us some but we just trust Martin even though he says we shouldn’t.

Martin isn’t exactly the same as he was before he was turned. He keeps secrets and things from us. I think sometimes he locks himself in his room just to escape from the world instead of letting his friends in on what he’s thinking or how he feels. There is this huge guilt he carries. I have to say though that since you have come along, he has started to talk more.” Paul explained.

“You still haven’t told me how Martin was turned.” I said.

“When Martin is ready to tell you, he will.” Paul said.

“I know this is going to sound weird but it feels like I have known Martin for a long time. It just feels right to be around him.” I replied.

“Are you positive you have never met Martin before?” Paul asked.

“I’m positive but I feel so drawn to him, I can’t explain it.” I sighed.

“You have had no amnesia or anything?” Paul asked making me feel uncomfortable.

“No. What brings up the weird questions?” I asked.

“Nothing, just asking.” He stated. “We’re here.” Paul replied as we pulled into the hospital’s parking lot.

“Martin will be here in an hour.” Paul replied getting out of the SUV.

“What are you doing?” I asked as I watched him open up the back hatch.

“I’m getting out some…stakes. I have to be prepared incase your boyfriend was bitten.
There is a great possibility that he was killed by a vampire who decided to turn him. If that happens then your lover boy will be waking up soon from the dead.” Paul said stuffing some stakes into his jacket.

“This is all just too much.” I said feeling overwhelmed.