All The Other Girls

Two.

Frank’s POV

I sighed, turning over in bed and looking at the clock. The clocks neon numbers wrote ‘8:35am’.

I couldn’t sleep. Standing up, I looked into the mirror and saw my reflection staring back. My short, spiky hair falling just below my ears, supple skin hung from my boyish frame, and my flat chest. I patted my stomach lightly.

Some people don’t feel like they are what they were given. Some guys feel like girls; some girls feel like guys. And I was one of them. It was all on my fifteenth birthday, people were giving me things for guys: sporty things, watches, video games. When all I wanted was cushions, soppy movies…Girly things. At first, I just thought I was gay, but then I heard about Transgender and Transsexuals. That’s when it all seemed to fit together.

My Parents didn’t really accept it when I told them, that was part of the reason I came here. To get some time away and build bridges. Everyone in the dorm room had left for first period or haven’t come back from that party last night. That was another thing, I had no social life for fear of slipping up or getting too close to someone.

As I clipped in my hair extensions, tucked in my fake boobs and make-up, I wondered what to do with my time. Gerard’s words floated into my head. A slight smile glided across my lips and I picked up the big, fluffy pillow that was lying on my bed. I knocked on the door to the right of me and waited eagerly for a reply while biting my lip ring. A small croak came from inside as the door opened slowly.

“Hey.”

“Oh, hey,” Gerard answered, rubbing his eyes and yawning. “You’re a little late?” He then said sarcastically.

“I’m on my own, can I come in?” I asked with a gloomy look on my face. He grinned and opened the door wider as I slipped inside. It was still a mess but with more added to it, he was alone.

“Just chill out over there,” He pointed to a messy bed, “Do you like coffee?” I shook my head.

“Do you have tea?” He said nothing but walked away into the kitchen.

The dorm had a slight aroma of nicotine, even though it was banned, twinned with talc and coffee. I sat down on the bed and hugged the pillow I had brought with me. The channel on the TV was some weird morning show.

“You can turn it over, if you like,” Gerard shouted from the kitchen along with the clink of cutlery against glasses. I just lay silent as Gerard came back through with two steaming cups of coffee in his hands. He placed one on the table beside me and plonked down at the end of the bed. He stared at the TV intently not looking back. I felt my eyelids slowly dropping and closing until the room went black.

*_*_*

As I slowly came back to life, I figured I was being watched.

“You fell asleep,” Gerard informed me as he was curled up at my feet. “I-I think your hair is falling out.” He pointed to his pillow. I blushed a deep shade of crimson as I realised one of my extensions had fallen out during my nap.

“It’s my, uh, hair,” I chuckled nervously. He looked at me lopsided and then laughed and shook his head. I looked around, we were still alone. Clipping the hair back in, I realised my tea was still steaming. “How the…?!”

“I re-heated it for you,” He smiled sweetly. How thoughtful, I thought. I reached over and accidentally spilled some, screeching as the scolding coffee seeped through my shirt.

“Crap,” He gasped, taking the coffee from me. I stood up and rushed to the bathroom, leaning into the sink to cool the patch of scolded skin. I’m such a dumbass, I can’t even drink tea without burning myself. Gerard appeared, his eyes covered and holding out a shirt.

“I’m covered up,” I laughed shyly as he took his hand away and threw the shirt onto the counter top before leaving. I changed shirt, readjusted my bust and looked into the mirror. There was a skull on the front and it read ’The Misfits’ in glow-in-the-dark ink. I scrunched up the collar and inhaled deeply: coffee, nicotine and talc. I smiled to myself. The soaked shirt was left in the bathroom as I sat myself back on his bed, he was in the kitchen.

Suddenly the door burst wide open and the person on the outside took one look at me, then the shirt and piped up:

“If you’re a little busy entertaining, Gerard, we’ll leave!” Sniggers came from behind him as I buried my head into my cushion. Gerard rushed from the kitchen.

“She came over earlier and nothing funny went on, now are you in or out? You’re letting the heat out,” He said in a motherly tone. Three guys traipsed inside. One was tall and skinny, the other had Afro like hair and the last had short-ish ginger hair with stunning blue eyes. I sat up and put the cushion across my knees.

“Mikey, Bob and Ray, this is Frankie. Frankie, this is Mikey, Bob and Ray,” He pointed to each in turn. I mumble a reply back. Mikey sets himself down on the opposite bed, I assumed it was his, and stared at me intently.

“Where do you stay?”

“Next door.”

“How old are you?”

“Nineteen.”

“Where did you used to live?”

“New Jersey.”

“Why did-”

“Oh, Jesus Christ! This isn’t 20Q!” Bob yelled, causing Ray and Gerard to fall about in laughter. Mikey smiled with a nod.

“She’s not alien.” I couldn’t lie, I was a little freaked out by the way this conversation was going. I stood up cautiously.

“I-I gotta go,” I stuttered. Gerard poked his head out from the kitchen. “See you later.” I waved and left the dorm.

*_*_*

I sat on the vacant swing, pulling my hood over my head and shoving my hands into my pockets. I craved a cigarette badly, but didn’t have any. The swing beside me swung alone, solemnly, swaying in the breeze as the leaves twirled. It was a cold Winter. I looked up and saw Sharon, my room mate, walking towards me with a smile on her bright face.

“Hey,” Came faintly through the wind.

“Hey,” I replied, grinning back. She silently sat on the swing and looked ahead. I wondered where she had been, what she was doing here, but I didn’t say a word.

“How come you’re out here on your own?”

I shrugged, I just didn’t want to go back. “I needed to get out for a while,” I couldn’t lie, it was a little bit of homesick chucked in there just to mess me up further. I imagined what life would be like when I get back home, hoping that things would patch up and they would accept me as a Woman. Suddenly I felt myself well up and my head fall into my hands. What the hell just happened? As I sat there sobbing with Sharon’s arms around me, I felt some kind of relief. I wiped my face and laughed at myself.

“You must think I’m so ridiculous,” I sniffed, laughing as I wiped my eyes.

“Of course not. We all get a little sad sometimes. Why don’t we go back to the dorm? I can make us some hot cocoa and we can laze about, talking about stuff,” She comforted me. I nodded and stood up, walking with her lead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aha, if you didn't guess already, Frankie isn't all girl. ;)